Anyone else scared to buy stuff for their LO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a loss before and though I wasnt term when it happened I did have a crib, stroller/car seat and swing for the baby. I guess I got very excited and just had to start getting the babys things. I thought at 5 months I was pretty much in the clear... I was wrong. After dd1 died I had a half finished nursery and all the baby gear that potentially would never be used. my DH and I at the time started to ttc again very soon and in the meantime I told myself I was going to have a baby one day and I pushed myself to finish the nursery despite the extreme sadness it made me feel to see that empty crib. Well I did end up having a healthy beautiful baby boy and put everything to good use. Now that I am expecting another daughter I am scared. Possibly because the only memory I have of being pregnant with a daughter wasnt good and maybe Im scared it may happen again. I know that more than likely it wont. But there is always this thought in my mind that *maybe* something might happen, because you never know what could come up. I have bought pretty much all the clothes I need for her but I wanted to do the really girl things like tutus and hair bows and clips. I have bought a few bows but I am scared to buy anymore. Im afraid if something does happen I will be left with all these bows and girly things that I cannot use. I know I probably seem irrational... and by no means am I superstitious... cautious, yes. I think I will eventually cave with all my cravings of buying girly stuff but I cant help but find my mind wandering... wondering if something might happen and all this stuff I ordered might go to waste.... uggggg. I hate my wandering mind.... sorry mamas didnt mean to bring anyone down...I just have to let it out

BFPChart2.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 06:42 PM

I too have had a loss (several actually) and one at term. We had the entire room set up for her. Our parents flew out to CO to be with us and I had my mom and my friend remove EVERYTHING from the room. When we got home from the hospital, there's was nothing left. I wanted it that way. I didn't want to have to do all that myself and be sad all over again.

So when I was pregnant with B we waiting unil 20+ weeks to buy anything for him, after we knew he was a boy etc. This time I started buying stuff around 18 weeks or so, but not before. I just feel like I can't live life being scared like that, and I already love this little girl so much that if I see something I want I get to make ME happy.

I'm scared, don't get me wrong, but I need to be happy too.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#3 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Tenk for letting me know Im not alone.... Im mostly happy and sure that nothing is going to happen... its just the unknown that scares me. I guess I shouldnt let that outweigh the happiness.

BFPChart2.gif

#4 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM

I have never had a loss, and have never been too fearful of losing a baby while pregnant, but I still don't like to buy stuff until I am into the third trimester. I just worry about how hard it would be to deal with a loss when you have already gone out and got a bunch of stuff. For me it feels safest to wait until the third trimester.

I think if it makes you feel more comfortable, hold off on buying anything a few more weeks. For me waiting makes the whole process more fun! I also like the fact that i don't have to store everything for months, and instead just have to have all the baby stuff out for a few weeks.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#5 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie77 View Post
For me waiting makes the whole process more fun! I also like the fact that i don't have to store everything for months, and instead just have to have all the baby stuff out for a few weeks.
great idea.. .though idk if I can fight off the urges to BUY BUY BUY lol

BFPChart2.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 PM

I've had an early miscarriage once (7 weeks), but I've always been a generally anxious, worst-case scenario person. I avoid buying anything until after the baby is born. For some reason I have no problem accepting hand-me-downs though, somehow my mind doesn't see it the same as buying. It's easier for me now, since this will be my third and I have most of the stuff I need. But yes, definitely when I see something cute in the store, there is a worried voice in the back of my mind telling me not to buy it... yet.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#7 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 AM

I know how you feel.

I still haven't really bought/made anything for this little one and soon I will "force" myself into buying/making a few things to make myself happy. I found in my last pregnancy that around 20 or so weeks was when I really needed to go out and just pretend that I was a normal pregnant woman with no fears. And if pretending to be happy and buying a few things actually translated into real happiness then it was worth it. And it did. I didn't want to buy anything because I felt I would jinx the pregnancy. However, once I had those few items I did feel better. Being hopeful about a pregnancy will not make something bad happen.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#8 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 AM

Hi Mama,

I'm 23 weeks today and haven't bought a thing. A good friend generously offered me some hand-me-down clothes which I accepted, brought home and promptly hid in the back of the closet.

I also haven't found a pediatrician, looked for daycare or signed up for birthing classes. I can't help but think that I'll "jinx" things if I get too attached to the idea of actually having a healthy, living child. It's like I view the universe as a malevolent entity that will see my happiness and snatch it away out of shear meanness. And I know I'm being irrational. I know it! And 99% of me truly believes that everything will be just fine but it's the nagging voice of that 1%, that keeps me from buying, making plans and being as happy as I would like.

Just today I made a deal with myself. Thirty weeks. Once I hit that mark I will let myself buy and plan. At the very least I'll force myself to get one outfit and a carseat so they'll let us take baby girl home from the hospital!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM

We haven't bought a thing or even come up with a name. We did move the desk out of the baby's room, but then kind of stalled out. DH suggested shopping for a crib a couple of weeks ago, but I just wasn't ready. Having said that, I don't think we started shopping for DS until the last month. I do have ideas about what I want and look things up on line.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#10 of 10 Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Yes, I do not want to buy anything - I'm on my third. I've had 3 m/c so that is probably part of it.

After my first kid was born, I heard that in some cultures they don't have baby showers until after the kid is born. That made sense to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page