Is the name really THAT bad? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll even go against my rule of not telling ANYONE our first names so you'll feel better and maybe see that River isn't so odd.
Our boy name - Rhys.
Our girl name - Maybe. Yep, Maybe.

Screw anyone that doesn't like either of them, we LOVE them.

Also, my ds's first name is Cullen. We stumbled on it flipping through a baby name book when I was pregnant with him. He's Cully or Cullen to us. The problem is that we named him long before I had even heard of the Twilight books (if you are familiar, you know what i'm talking about). I had never even heard of the books until summer '08. Now, everyone assumes that I named him after the freaking Cullens. Um, no.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#32 of 50 Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Wait! Aren't you the mom who has a Diego and a another boy with a Hispanic name? If so, I'd go with Rio. It matches the other boys names much better and means River. After all, you don't want your little guy to feel different than his brothers.
Yes I have one son named Gabriel and the other named Diego. Crazy thing we aren't Hispanic. Gabriel we named for biblical purposes and Diego kinda came about because my ODS loves Go Diego GO, LOL. The whole time I was pregnant my DH and I couldn't agree on a name and my ds always called my belly Diego. After my son was born and we still didn't have a name we figured that Diego suited him because that is what he had been refereed to the whole time I was pregnant. He is a blond hair blue eyed little guy but oh well. Diego fits him somehow, . And my dd name isn't Hispanic it is biblical as well so it isn't across the board.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#33 of 50 Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 AM

The only River I've ever known IRL, is an adorable little boy, about 3 years old.

It fascinates that so many people believe what other people choose to name their children is any of their business. Accept when specifically asked, I think it's rude to criticize, or suggest alternative names. Go have your own kids, name them.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#34 of 50 Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM

I love both names and it feels good to "know" you have your names so don't let people's rude comments cloud your judgement

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#35 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 AM

River is a beautiful boy's name.
If we were having a son, that would for sure be on our short list.
As for androgyny, its not your problem if its become trendy in the past 5 years or so to name girls with boyish names.
River is a strong male name- yes its from nature- but rivers can be rough and wild and run deep. What a great way to think of your little man.
I in addition to thinking of River Phoenix and the Weezer frontman, think of the actress Keri Russell's young son as well as several young boys we know.
I can only think of one female identification with this name...the character River Tam in the series Firefly but so what?

Our son's name is in the same vein...not overly popular, not too weird but a name in nature that occasionally gets co-opted for girls. We love our son's name though and yet I remember when my MIL voiced her opinions on his name. She tried to offer us other options and said it was an odd choice. Later on she liked it. But honestly, she is older and a conservative woman so of course her naming style would be conservative/boring in our eyes hence it didn't bother us.
She doesn't like our baby girl's name either so we know we have a winner!

I would not lose sleep over this lady's unsolicited comment but I would have to write her back and address the rudeness.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#36 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 AM

I would use the name River, I think it has a nice sound, is easy to pronounce and spell, but my cousin beat me to it! He's a wonderful little 6 yr old, very much "a boy" and as far as I know, there has been no flac for his name. It's a little "hippy", but not overwhelmingly so. This person was probably having a bad day, and had run into another little kid named "Lexus" or AmFrony, and was taking it out on you because she could!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#37 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 AM

River is Rad.
I know a boy River who is 1 year old, home waterbirth.
Ignore your friend's rude comment.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#38 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
wow someone really said that? thats just crazy to me... i dont know why anyone would feel the need to say such harsh words ... as michelle would say on Full House "how rude"

i love both of your names. in fact River Sky is one of my most fav names ever! i truly think name are one thing before a baby is born and another after. my SIL named her baby Sawyer and i was not totally in love (NEVER said anything other then positive to her) with the name, but now he is born and Sawyer is SOOOO his name. now i love the name and its perfect for him!

s and the good new is their your babies so you get to name them whatever perfect names come to you!

xoxox

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#39 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
i dont know why anyone would feel the need to say such harsh words ... as michelle would say on Full House "how rude"

my SIL named her baby Sawyer and i was not totally in love (NEVER said anything other then positive to her) with the name, but now he is born and Sawyer is SOOOO his name. now i love the name and its perfect for him!
This made me laugh because 1) my kids LOVE Full House; it is on our dvr all the time, and 2) Sawyer is one of my FAVORITE boy names!
#40 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
This made me laugh because 1) my kids LOVE Full House; it is on our dvr all the time, and 2) Sawyer is one of my FAVORITE boy names!
Great show and great name

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#41 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 AM

fwiw We named on of our twin boys Willow. be prepared for some nasty comments and just don't care about them
We even had family members sending gifts to Will I played dumb and send them back saying I though they must have mixed up their parcels

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#42 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 11:51 AM

My name is Dana and it's a boys and girls name, so even if River is used for a girl so what! There are lots of unisex names. I've only known boy's named River.

Also, I think people can be so rude cuz they would NEVER say that (to your face) after your baby is born but they think it's okay to say while your still preggers. They see babies in utero as abstract and don't even realize that once you have a name picked out, that THAT is the baby inside and will be the baby outside. It's why I don't bother announcing our name until the baby is born.

If this person who said that is family or close to you I would just say "I'll make sure to let River know what his aunt/uncle/grandpa/etc think of his name after he's born."

I also just read some research talking about how people prior to 1950's would all want their kids to be names that were common and easy to spell so they "fit in" (so like the top 10 boys names made up a huge percentage of the names...like 5% of the kids were named John....so you'd have 1-3 John's in your class of 30 kids) and nowadays people want their kids to stand out, be individuals, not blend in sheeple etc (so the top 10 names only make up a small percentage now...Jacob only being like 1% of the names even though it's #1...so you'd have 1 Jacob in 3-4 classes of 30 kids). So if this person who commented is older, they may have that belief that kids should blend in and you can hold in your heart that you don't have that belief and so you don't need to take their comment seriously.

~ Dana ~ Mommy to Madelyn, Jonas & Hudson & wee one #4 due late Spring!!!
#43 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM

awww, mama, i'm so sorry!!! ((hugs)) that is EXACTLY why we are not revealing our name until he is here. i think the names you have chosen are beautiful!
#44 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

I agree, delete the post. Your names are perfect for your baby and unique to this baby, and surly highly deliberated over. I hate when people can't find something nice to say and speak anyway.

So sorry, please disregard her rudeness and proceed with your heart. I think your names are lovely.

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#45 of 50 Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only person in the world who decided to name my child this. I got another semi rude comment posted last night from my DH's step-mom. We are naming our boy River William (William is after my DH). Well she felt the need to tell me that we should go with William as the first name because it has been in the family for hundreds of years and since this is the last boy we are having that it is our responsibility to name one of our sons William. Well I found this kinda fishy because no one ever felt the need to mention it to me when I was naming my other sons. So I called DH, who is out of town, and asked him if it was true that William had been in the family for hundreds of years as a first name. I knew it went back as far as his grandpa but wasn't sure if it went back farther. Well it is sooo not true. My DH, his dad and his grandpa all are named William but different middle names. Before that no other Williams at all. And DH is fine with it being a middle name. I am a little peeved though that she would think I'd be so stupid to just take her word at it and not look into it. And that she said it was my responsibility like the world would end if I didn't do it. Uggggg people lack of tack and just plain rudeness never ceases to amaze me.

* If they only knew we didn't vaccinate our kids the name thing would be such a mute issue, LOL.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#46 of 50 Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM

River IMHO is an AWESOME name!! Besides, as Dr. Seuss would say... "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter."

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#47 of 50 Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klocke View Post

* If they only knew we didn't vaccinate our kids the name thing would be such a mute issue, LOL.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#48 of 50 Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 PM

hehehe Full HOuse

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#49 of 50 Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 AM

Everyone is right. River is cool. Don't let one person's opinion get you down.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#50 of 50 Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 AM

DDC crashing - I was just curious what name you had chosen that was SOOOooOOO bad - when come to find out it's so awful, it's our boy AND girl name! (think River Tam in Firefly)

We really like gender neutral or boyish names for girls though... DD is Riley Ann. I'm having strong boy vibes this time around so most likely it will be River James. I say 100% go for it - how cool will River/Riv be in high school with a name like that? I love it. It's strong and unique but not too unique and I guarantee no problems with spelling (well, there is always one person out there who can't spell *rolls eyes* but in general).

Anyhoo - it is YOUR child - you get to name him. And seriously, if he grows up and absolutely hates the name River, William is a nice name with lots of nicknames/variations too.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page