Need to get on ball and start looking at cloth diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are highly considering cloth diapers for this baby, even though it is most likely our last.

I guess I need to get down to business and start looking at some of the cloth options that are out there.

I just started looking at strollers last night and have fallen in love with the Peg Perego Pliko Switch stroller. It is almost identical to my old Graco Coach Rider, which I loved but is now falling apart.
#2 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 AM

Happy to see this thread. I am looking for great suggestions/webs to order from. Money is tight so Im not opposed to 2nd hand or ones with small cosmetic issues to save the difference. Last baby, my mom was a member of a local free cycle group and I got several 2nd hand all in ones and other faded dipes. I've got a pretty good stash of prefolds and a few prowraps wich worked just fine for us, specially for just around the house.

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#3 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM

I honestly think that prefolds and covers sound the easiest, but I have the following.

16 kidalog AIO newborns

15 prefolds + 15 covers

9 kissaluvs (fitteds)

6 little cheeks (fitteds)

this way I can wash every 3 days or so and have plenty to go around, and will figure out which ones we like best
they are all so cute though, and i can't wait to use them this time.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#4 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM

A great thread by rockgal on this which might be useful.

Embedded in it are two awesome sites:

diaperswappers.com
greenmountaindiapers.com

Prefolds with snappis and covers are definitely the cheapest bet AND great for baby.

I got a lot of used stuff off of craigslist the last time around which was so helpful.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#5 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
A great thread by rockgal on this which might be useful.

Embedded in it are two awesome sites:

diaperswappers.com
greenmountaindiapers.com

Prefolds with snappis and covers are definitely the cheapest bet AND great for baby.

I got a lot of used stuff off of craigslist the last time around which was so helpful.

Yes yes, I adore those sites...here's some links for this thread, so if you want you can be extra lazy

Diaper Swappers

Green Mountain Diapers

I love the last link because it has pictures, and great detail, even for those of us that have been there done that, I still pick up tips from them just browsing their site.

Happy diapering!

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#6 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM

I was wondering about cloth diapers as well.....specifically, is anything better than prefolds and covers?

My local baby store carries the Gro Baby diapers. They actually designed them, and I'd love to support them because they are so local. those are neat because they make biodegradable liners you can use for travel, etc. But, holy cow they are expensive when you compare to the prefolds and covers!

Also, I'm not sure it's super easy to see from the photos of the Gro Baby, but the absorbant materials are basically these big long "tongues", and it looks like poo could just slide right off the edge. The pre-folds seem to make more of a "pocket" or at least a wider absorbancy area.

Also, I've briefly read of people using wool covers with prefolds for nighttime because they are more waterproof, if you use lanolin on them.

Ahhh, so much to learn!!!!!

Anybody want to chime in on prefolds vs. fancier cloth diapers?

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#7 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrett View Post
I was wondering about cloth diapers as well.....specifically, is anything better than prefolds and covers?

My local baby store carries the Gro Baby diapers. They actually designed them, and I'd love to support them because they are so local. those are neat because they make biodegradable liners you can use for travel, etc. But, holy cow they are expensive when you compare to the prefolds and covers!

Also, I'm not sure it's super easy to see from the photos of the Gro Baby, but the absorbant materials are basically these big long "tongues", and it looks like poo could just slide right off the edge. The pre-folds seem to make more of a "pocket" or at least a wider absorbancy area.

Also, I've briefly read of people using wool covers with prefolds for nighttime because they are more waterproof, if you use lanolin on them.

Ahhh, so much to learn!!!!!

Anybody want to chime in on prefolds vs. fancier cloth diapers?

I've used All in Ones/ pockets and now prefolds and my own wool covers. Cost wise the prefolds and covers win. They are much cheaper and I like the fact that they dry SO fast compared to an all in one where everything is sewn into one big thick diaper. Also, they are great even if you don't have more kids because they make killer paper towels or car drying rags or...well I could go on and on They also can be resold, even used ones and you gotta love that! :

However, they are not for everyone and they intimidated me at first. Pockets/AIO's or AI2's are easier in some respects too. They eliminate the need for pins or snappi's they are versatile in how much or how little or what fabrics you want to stuff them with (hemp, terry, cotton, bamboo, organic etc etc)

Another option you may consider is finding some cheap fitteds. These are basically akin to a prefold that has elastic sewn in the legs and snaps put on the top, so it is "fitted" and not just a flatish sheet type diaper you have to fold around your kid and pin on. You still need a cover of some sort as fitteds are not waterproof in and of themselves. They are great if you live in a hot area in the summer, you can let kids run around in just the fitteds and get plenty of air, only tossing on a cover for outings or sleep. And like prefolds, you can use any cover-I have empty fuzzi bunz with no stuffins, my own wool knit covers, as well as some thirsties duos.

I highly recommend surfing around the diapperswappers site (link in above post) because they have stay at home/work from home mama's that hand knit and sew all of the aboves for much cheaper (usually) than some of the larger websites out there as well as used ones that you can pick up cheap.

Wool knit covers are waterproof yes in the sense that they truly will not leak if they are lanolized (which is much easier done than it seems)...but they are not waterproof in the sense that they "repel" the water. Here is a link to a really great explanation of how it all works and how to lanolize/wash your wool covers. (there is also a video of a nine year old lanolizing a diaper-it's that easy) I have discovered by trial and error (and spending tons of money on various other diapers of all kinds) that these are the easiest for me to take care of (and actually by surprise also the cheapest!) even though it seems quite the contrary at first glance. I'm elbows deep in it now, and I'm so not going back! --again though, this is my opinion, I know others have different laundry needs or allergies or other reasons they don't use the same methods as me, just giving my two cents worth of experience

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#8 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
jdg

A bit of DDC crashing (I'm due June 1, so post in June, but lurk here). I'm actually going with the Gro Baby system. I'll either be using daycare or a nanny, so I want a system that is simple and user-friendly so that others caring for my LO can quickly learn it. Plus, though Gro Baby is more expensive than prefolds/covers, it is cheaper than starting from scratch with any of the other popular AIO/AI2 systems at $375 for the "Live Gro Baby" package. Plus, one size fits all, which is a big bonus. Throw in the fact that they have the option of disposable liners and I was sold.

Jackie
#9 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM

There are so many options out there - I was overwhelmed when I first started looking into it. Eventually I worked things out LOL. I really didn't want to end up spending HUNDREDS on various sizes of diapers so I mostly bought used.

I looked on Kijiji and found a great deal on formed cloth diapers (they aren't AIOs because they don't have a cover on the outside). I only have them in S, L and XL (over 60 diapers in total - I think I'm set with just those ). I made 2 wool soakers for each size, which was surprisingly easy! I also bought 13 new 'Baby Kangas' which are pocket diapers that grow with the baby (from about 10lbs+). I bought both hemp and bamboo stuffers because I wasn't sure which type would be best. I figured those would be best for going out, travelling to grandparents' and night times.

For the NB stage, I found 10 formed diapers for $10 on kijiji!!! They are actually the diapers that this lady bought from a local diaper service and she said they worked great (I need to make a wool cover those). I needed more so I made some flats out of new diaper material and old flannel sheets. My mom showed me how to secure a doubler in the flats just in case our LO is a super-soaker so I made some doublers (that will also be useable in the other diapers too ). I think we're set and won't be needing anything more LOL. I would suggest looking on local classified ads as well as the diaperswappers (I never did use that site)

Mom to Isaac Arthur (May 7, 2010)
#10 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
A bit of DDC crashing (I'm due June 1, so post in June, but lurk here). I'm actually going with the Gro Baby system. I'll either be using daycare or a nanny, so I want a system that is simple and user-friendly so that others caring for my LO can quickly learn it. Plus, though Gro Baby is more expensive than prefolds/covers, it is cheaper than starting from scratch with any of the other popular AIO/AI2 systems at $375 for the "Live Gro Baby" package. Plus, one size fits all, which is a big bonus. Throw in the fact that they have the option of disposable liners and I was sold.

I haven't tried GroBaby yet, they are so cute though, but just wanted to warn you that they probably won't fit your newborn. Most one-size diapers don't start to fit babies until they are around 12 pounds or so. You should maybe invest in some newborn sized prefolds and covers or AIO. BG XS AIO fit newborns really well and you can resell them for almost as much as you bought them for on diaperswappers.

There are sooooo many different types and fits out there and it really helps to try a few different kinds in the beginning so figure out what you like and what fits your LO.

Happy shopping! I love fluffy mail!

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#11 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM

We use almost exclusively prefolds and covers. Honestly, we went for them because of the cost initially, but then I found the care to be SO much easier. So many of the AIOs or fancier dipes have more specific washing requirements because you can't separate out the absorbant part from the waterproof barrier as easily. And lemmie tell ya: after one bout of rotavirus and the resulting STINK that remained, I could attack stripping with a vengence without worrying about damaging these expensive diapers.

Plus they have a million and one uses after we get out of the baby phase... my folks still have cloth diapers they use as rags, and the "baby" of the family turns 28 this year.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#12 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned this source for Cloth Diapers yet, so I will post. I did a lot of research on cloth and found www.KellysCloset.com to be the best site for purchasing cloth diapers & accessories and for learning about them. They have explanatory articles, gift registries, and a coupon for your first purchase.
#13 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 AM

I have tried soooo many different kinds of cloth diapers and diaper systems out there (cloth diapers can be REALLY addictive!) and I still fall back on good old prefolds and wool covers! I love the versatility, the ability to change absorbancy, the breathability, the ease in washing and drying and the cost is great too! I have a few pockets for traveling and outings and I have made some fitteds for the same purpose, and they are super cute! But the majority of what I use are prefolds. And for those of you who can sew, it's super easy and economical to sew up a couple dozen prefolds out of old flannel sheets and t-shirts. I've been making prefolds for this baby and that's what I've mainly been using, although I had to break down and buy some organic sherpa and I have some natural colored hemp that I've been using too...

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page