Does this happen to anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I am a few days shy of 28 weeks with my third pregnancy. About this point in the pregnancy, the bottom of my rib cage starts to get tingly and weird feeling whenever I am not laying down. It's very uncomfortable and strange. I had this with both previous pregnancies. I am only 5 feet tall so I am guessing that it's just plain a case of not enough space but I don't really know. Does this happen to anyone else?
#2 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Hi VeganMamaRed, I'm 5 feet tall too, and have found this pregnancy (now 34 weeks) to be uncomfortable for my ribs, and that it does generally lessen if I lie down -- for a while, then I have to change sides. But I don't have any tingling. What it feels like for me is that my ribs, on the bottom and the sides, are bruised. I think the same thing as you -- not enough space.
#3 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM

I'm not experiencing any tingling in my lower ribs, but wanted to offer you a hug. I'm sorry your going thru this, and I hope that someone else is able to come on and give you some other "real life" experiences of their own.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#4 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm a shortie mama, too

I experienced with this my DD but she was breech until about this time. I bet that it's not the case with you, though, and that you are right on about running out of room.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#5 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 PM

Oh geez sounds tough sending you mamas dealing this a hug.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#6 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM

Yes, me too! I've been having this problem for quite a while. In fact, it's pretty much the only real ache and pain I have, but ugh. I keep doing gentle upper back stretches and doing some self-massage around the fleshy part beneath the sternum.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#7 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

I think it really is a case of running out of room. I find it a little alarming that I still have two months to go where baby is only going to get bigger! I carried much lower with DD and DS1 and I didn't get the numb rib thing until further on in the pregnancy. For whatever reason I am carrying much higher this time and it is already starting to be uncomfortable. That's my only complaint in terms of discomfort so I guess I can't really complain!
#8 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Baby could be pressing against one of the nerves supplying your intercostal (between the rib) muscles. I imagine that would give a tingling numbish feeling similar to an arm or leg going to sleep because of awkward positioning. When you lay down the pressure eases up. Good luck!

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#9 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldmommers View Post
Baby could be pressing against one of the nerves supplying your intercostal (between the rib) muscles. I imagine that would give a tingling numbish feeling similar to an arm or leg going to sleep because of awkward positioning. When you lay down the pressure eases up. Good luck!
I haven't experienced this, but I'm shortwaisted and the past week have noticed a huge increase in heartburn and acid reflux - I think it's just getting more cramped! I'm quoting theoldmommers cause her theory makes me think a chiropractor might be able to provide some relief and help you indentify where you can self-massage or use accupressure to relieve the pressing. I guess a massage therapist could do the same - I'm just more familiar with chiros. HTH!
#10 of 10 Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM

I am 5'1" and have a short waist and long legs, so I feel your pain. My ribs started aching at around 26 weeks (I am now 29 weeks) and they seemed to ache more when baby was having growth spurts, so I also attribute it to lack of space in there!

One thing that helped me, besides laying down, is doing regular side-bend type stretches and trying to keep good posture when sitting during the day. I also (finally!) went out and bought some new bras with a wider ribcage allowance (went from a 32" to a 36"- yikes!). You could also try bra strap extenders, too. Once your ribs get used to the larger space, the pain should subside until the next growth spurt. Hope you feel better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page