Just ordered some diapers! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't done ANYTHING for this baby. I haven't bought a thing, or even really looked. My DD was born in May so we basically have everything we need. I cloth diapered my daughter, but I never had any newborn diapers and the smalls were all too big for the first few weeks (she was 7-6). So this time I decided to get some newborn diapers. Not too many because I may not go full time for a while and I plan on letting the baby have lots of bare bum time.

So today I decided to order the diapers.

I got 6 kissaluv newborn fitteds (these were my fav for DD but in small) and 3 drybees bamboo fitteds (they were 30% off so I couldn't resist). I also got two woollybottom soakers that look really nice. One in x-small and one small. And 8 infant prefolds since some of mine have turned into rags since DD outgrew them.

Has anyone else cloth diapered a newborn? What did you use? I found the infant prefolds were huge on DD, but the few preemie ones I had were too small.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#2 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM

I just wanted to tell you how jealous I am. I have plenty, and don't need more, but I LOVE buying diapers!!

Congratulations!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#3 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 PM

We're planning to start off using a diaper service and see how that goes, so I only need to buy covers right now. And I *REALLY* want to buy them. I look at them, think about them, etc. And I need a diaper pail and a few wetbags...

However- there are *3* baby showers in the works, and I really should wait. Right??????? Lol!

ETA: I'm just jealous too and can't even answer the question in the OP- I didn't start using cloth until my DD was older...

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#4 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 PM

I used cloth for DD. I borrowed a friend's Kissaluv's size 0. I had about 20, I think, and they were AWESOME. She was 8.11 at birth, though, so they fit well. No blowouts until I used some paper ones I got at my baby shower. Yuck!

I love CD!!!

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#5 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 PM

Definitely fun to purchase

DD was 7.3 and we cloth diapered her right away. Kissaluvs were/are my favorites, along with prefolds, and thirstees fitteds.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#6 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM

My youngest was born last Jan (he's already 13mos now ) and weighed 7lbs 6oz. For about the first 3-4months we used Green Mountain Diapers newborn prefolds (these are the orange edged ones) and a variety of different covers. Once he outgrew those we went to One Size BumGenius and One Size Blueberry Minky pockets and are still using those. He is long and skinny so he didnt fit into them right away, I tried, but we had big gaps in the legs. I never really got into the prefold "love", but I knew they were the most economical option, and he was the 1st out of my 6 that I have had in cloth so it was a new learning experience for us.

Babe#7 is due 5/16 and I am going to use fitteds/covers this tiime around and BumGenius One Size AIO organics for bedtime/outings. We are having a girl this time and I have serious diaper addiction! LOL. I'm just waiting for us to get our tax $ back and the ok from DH so I can buy my stash. We're going with a mix of Goodmamas, Muttaquin, and a custom batch of 12 fitteds from a WAHM who wants to trade for my old pf's.
hehe, now i feel the urge to go look at some more girly dipes. lol

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#7 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 PM

I used fuzzibunz size small with my n00b and they fit fine. He was 8lbs2oz when he was born...

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#8 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM

We CD'd our 2 year old from the first diaper that touched her bum in the hospital and she never had a paper dipe. We used Kissaluvs size 0 for the newborn stage and just packed at bag of em for at the hospital. I : my cloth and can't imagine doing it any other way. We have about 30 size 0's now and I rent out my nb stash when I don't have a nb in them because they get used for such a short time and some people don't want to buy them. My nb stash has been on 4 babies and still are in mint condition!

Have fun!

(I'm so with you on the not having anything yet for baby! I just picked up a handful of t-shirts because we EC our kids and onesies just are counterproductive to ec-ing.)
#9 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 AM

I found that my favorite for newborn diapering were just plain old prefolds and wool covers. I have had all smallish babies (7lbs, 5lbs 4oz, 6lbs 12 oz) and I used the indian infant prefolds. I just twisted the diaper so the twist was in the crotch (kept leaks from happening better too) and they fit a smaller baby a lot better until they grow into them better. I also used the kissaluv size 0, had about a dozen of them and really like them.

For this baby I have made a bunch of prefolds out of flannel, organic cotton sherpa and organic hemp knit. I have made a few fitteds, but still think that I will like the prefolds better.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#10 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post

(I'm so with you on the not having anything yet for baby! I just picked up a handful of t-shirts because we EC our kids and onesies just are counterproductive to ec-ing.)
I ECed my daughter too (but not until 6 months). I had forgotten that while I has tons of onsies (I never used), I should get some t-shirt/ undershirts too!

#11 of 15 Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 AM

I would get a couple PUL covers---like thirsties or imse vimse, some people love bummis----in addition to wool soakers.

When my kids were NB, I used a mix of:

Fitteds (thirsties, bumgenius bamboo,muttaquin) with thirsties or swaddlebees PUL covers
Preemie prefolds with wahm covers
Bumgenius aios

And this time I bought Blueberry Mini Nappis---pockets for 8-15 lbs, since onesize dipes are so huge on a newborn

Since our babies are coming in May, my small stash consists of prefolds and wahm covers b/c baby will be in a diaper and shirt most of the time.

Erin
mom to Kennedy, Owen, Liam & BABY. 1.7.13
#12 of 15 Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I actually do have about 6 NB prorap covers I squished my infant prefolds into with DD. I also have a few others that worked when she was new born. My fav were thirsties... I did NOT like bummis (but I see they have changed them since).

I figure baby will also be in just a t-shirt and diaper. DD was born in early May and that is basically all she wore when we were at home.

#13 of 15 Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 PM

We will be doing diaper service for the baby for her first 4 months just like we did with our son but I couldn't resist getting a few of the bamboo velour Goodmama fitteds she now has for newborns. They are so soft, squishy and adorable.
We had Kissaluv size 0 for our son and I wasn't overly thrilled with the feel of the cotton fleece so I sold them.
He did need newborn sizes in everything since he was a teeny beany- 6.6 born on his due date- still is a slim guy so I expect his sis will be on the small side too.
I placed a co-op order for some super cute newborn woolies (2 soakers, a pair of shorties and some longies) from Kozy and can't wait to get those!
I also have a few pairs of newborn sized Little Beetle wool soakers in green & one in lilac and a few LoveyBums as well ( in yellow, tangerine and cream).
I have to say shopping for woolies is fun for a girl so far.
In her woolie stash so far...an orange pair with dragonflies on the bum, pale pink with flowers on the hip, girlie jolly roger/skully shorts in black & yellow/gray striped longies with red heart on the bum.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#14 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM

I figure baby will also be in just a t-shirt and diaper. DD was born in early May and that is basically all she wore when we were at home. [/QUOTE]

This is all my son wears in the summer, so Im sure it will be for the new babe too. I have a large collection of small wahm covers and will just add some pink ones if I have a girl lol.

Erin
#15 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=OrchideZ;15124924]We will be doing diaper service for the baby for her first 4 months just like we did with our son but I couldn't resist getting a few of the bamboo velour Goodmama fitteds she now has for newborns. They are so soft, squishy and adorable.

I have about 20 various NB fitteds........but I have to get a couple goodmama NB fitteds. My sons fitted stash is a dozen of the reg onesize goodmamas and a couple pairs of longies/shorties. They are the best dipe Ive ever owned, and the NB came out AFTER I bought my whole new baby stash!! IM gonna buy 2 off of spots when I see some. I must!!!

Erin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page