Weight gain - how much so far? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering because I am nosey.

1./ How much weight have you gained so far?
2./ How far along are you now?
3./ Do you need to gain more or less then average for any reason?
4./ How do you feel about your weight gain?

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie77 View Post

Hey! you need to answer your own questions

I've gained 20 lbs.

I'm 30weeks 6 days

I had not lost all of the baby weight from DD so I wanted to gain less than average. My m/ws aren't concerned though and didn't set a guideline for me.

Weight gain in general freaks me out b/c I do NOT lose weight quickly or easily. it takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears for me to budge weight wise. I know that what it will take is a LOT of exercise to lose my accumulated weight. I don't know that I will have time to do a lot of exercise for at least a year. I'm trying to be positive about that though and making a plan now.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#3 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM

1. I have gained 14 lbs

2. I'm 31 weeks 2 days

3. No, My midwife is pleased with my weight. She has no concerns

4. I am sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop... With my 2 other pregnancies i had gained at least twice that much by this time. So, I am wondering if my weight gain will continue the way it is. Or am i just gonna gain 45 lbs in the next 8 weeks????? I gained 60+ lbs with both my other babies

Mama to 10 yrs, 6 yrs and expecting surprise April 2010
#4 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM

1) I have gained 23lbs so far
2) I am 31 weeks 3 days
3) I had hoped to not gain much because I started off on the heavy side. My midwife is happy with my weight, and our baby is healthy.
4) I had hoped to gain very little, but feel pretty good. I have exercised pretty regularly and feel good. I guess overall I am not unhappy with my weight gain.

Wife to my beautiful Sky and SAHM to my three beautiful kids (12/01) , (3/07), and (5/10). We : : and. Peace to all of you wonderful mamas!
#5 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 AM

1. I've gained 13 lbs. so far
2. I'm 29w1d
3. I started off overweight so ideally I'd gain less
4. Actually I feel pretty darn good about it. I've tried to make good choices, but haven't denied myself anything (ANYTHING) so each appointment I'm prepared to see big numbers. I did gain 11 lbs in one month - which freaked me out a little, but then the next month my weight stayed the same, so I'm chalking it up to a growth spurt

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#6 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 AM

1) about 15 pounds
2) 27 weeks
3) my BMI was 25.4 when this pregnancy started.... so the charts say I'm right on the cusp of aiming for 15-25 (the range if you're overweight) and the normal 25-35. I'm hoping for around 25 only because I have a hard time losing weight in general.

4) Pregnancy and weight gain is weird.... I had such a hard time eating in the first 19 weeks I only gained 3-5 pounds and I felt AWEFUL about that. I felt like I wasn't taking care of my baby. Then my appetite came back and it started adding up to more than 1 lb a week and now I feel like it's coming on too quick. I've spent my whole life being (or at least it feels like this...) that fatter sister.... My parents were always concerned that I eat well/exercise because I wasn't naturally skinny. I make them sound awful- but it wasn't like that. It genuinely was out of concern and was never demeaning, rude, or even obvious. Even so, I worked hard to be an ok weight and be ok with me at that weight.... so gaining weight is hard. Even though I know I'm supposed to and it's good.

This is my first baby, so I'm hoping I'm one of those women that has it all melt off with bf, but of course I don't know. I wish I'd been better all along with exercising but I had some problems with my sacrum and it's the heat of summer here and my time is so short that I haven't kept up that way I wanted to. So I guess overall I'm ok with everything- but I've had to put some work into it and I am concerned about taking it off in the end...

wow that was a novel talking about this stuff really helps sometimes.
#7 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
1) I'm 31+3
2) I've put on about 11.5kg so far
3) I was average weight when I started so no reson to put on more or less than average
4) I was ok about it while I thought it was all on my stomach. Now I've realised that my legs have expanded a bit was well I'm less ok but not devastated or anything.

I'm hoping that what is not baby, placenta, fluid, blood and uterus will all magically turn into breastmilk and flow away. Ideally in the first week or so

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 AM

1. -3 pounds
2. 28 weeks
3. I am fluffy so not gaining is not an issue, now losing weight though... not so sure.
4. I was fine before, with the GD now though and having to eat so low carb, I am worried about losing weight.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#9 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 AM

1. 12 pounds
2. 27 weeks
3. My midwife hasn't even mentioned my weight. I think my weight gain is fine.
4. I don't really like seeing the numbers on the scale go up (who does really) but I know I'm growing a baby and hopefully it will all come off as quickly as it did last time.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#10 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
As of this morning, I am -20.5 lbs from where I started.

Quote:
27 weeks, 4 days. And yes, I am counting. Every. single. minute.

Quote:
I started off about 20 lbs. over my "happy weight" and lost about 30 lbs in the first five months. I have actually gained back about 10 lbs so far - about a pound a week. My docs aren't concerned so I don't worry about it.

Quote:
I don't usually worry about weight gain when I am pregnant - my other three pregnancies were average (25 lbs or so). I usually loose it all within the first 2-3 weeks after baby comes. Before you start hating me, I also GAIN weight while nursing, to the tune of about 1/2 -3/4 of a pound per week. That's when things get really depressing...

No, I don't eat like a cow when nursing. At 5' 10", my average daily calorie intake is around 1700-1800 calories a day and I STILL gain weight while nursing. Last time, I was even pumping for a friend who had adopted a newborn so theoretically, I should have been a walking stick after a year of nursing my own baby and pumping for another!!!! Yes, I do exercise when not pregnant (walk 3-4 miles a day, 5 days a week & weight lift 3 times a week). I just have a body that becomes very efficient at storing calories when nursing. My endocrinologist hasn't quite figured out the reason yet but fortunately, once I quit nursing, I lose all the weight very quickly.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#11 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM

1. Gained so far - I lost 6 lbs the first three months, I've gained that back + 15 for 21 lbs total.
2. I am 30-31 weeks.
3. Nope.
4. My weight gain doesn't concern me. Because i know from the last two that I tend to put on some weight in my butt & thighs when I'm pregnant, I'm not worried about it this time because it's not that much and between breatsfeeding and exercise it shouldn't take that long to lose.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#12 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Don't know at this moment, but at 25 wks I was 10 or 11 pounds. First 16 weeks gained nothing and they didn't tell me, but were watching close- I was on smaller side of normal to start. Only mentioned when glad I had gained at 20 weeks.
#13 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 AM

1. Lost 23 lbs in the first trimester, gained 21 of those back in the second. So I'm at -2 for now.
2. 28 weeks
3. My midwife is pretty laid back about weight expectations. She was okay with me losing and she was okay with me gaining back. I probably shouldn't gain very much because I started out pretty heavy, but it's more important that I make good dietary choices.
4. I'm okay with it. I do think that I gained back a little faster than I should have, and I feel a little strange about that. I also know that I haven't been making the best choices lately, but I've been trying to be better about it.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#14 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

1. About 25 pounds
2. 29 wk 6 days
3. Nope, and my OB is totally unconcerned about my gain so far
4. Not worried - it came off like gangbusters when I was nursing my girls last time - I just have to be careful b/c after they weaned I put a bunch of weight back on. Don't want that to happen this time.

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#15 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 01:41 PM

1. I'm not really counting but i think it's between 20-25 pounds
2. I'm 30 weeks today
3. I'm just fine where i am at
4. I feel fine about my weight gain. It was slightly less with ds (gained 20 the whole pregnancy) but that was only because I was so stresses when my dh left me. When I get stressed/depresses I don't eat so I lost a lot of weight in the beginning. I knew this time I would gaine more. I think my weight gain is fine, I have no worries or concerns

BFPChart2.gif

#16 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1. Probably gained 8-9 pounds overall so far.
2. I'm 29 weeks
3. I started out at an average weight, so I should probably gain an average amount of weight.
4.Really not stressing about it though, mostly trying to make sure that I have good nutrition and keep my body in good shape. Neither my midwife nor my doc have set specific parameters for me. The doc says nothing about my weight really, but my midwife cheers when I put on a pound or two, haha. Mostly this is because I lost 10 pounds in the beginning due to morning sickness. I am feeling excellent now, and working out, doing prenatal yoga regularly, and listening to my HypnoBabies affirmations help me to feel positive about my body.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#17 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

23 lbs
29w2d
No, I was average weight for my height before getting knocked up
I have had mixed feelings. I try not to focus on the number but I always wished I was one of those mamas who just got a belly and everything else remained trim and slim... not the case for me though. I think the thing I have the hardest time with is accepting my enlarged thighs, butt, and love handles! I always worry about not being able to shed it off afterward. Just paranoia though I think. Last time I gained a total of 40lbs and it came off pretty quickly with breastfeeding and healthy eating. Apparently my body just needs the extra fat to feed and nourish my baby. That makes it all ok

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#18 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:

1- I've gained 23 by my scale and 29 by their scale

2- I'm 30w4d

3- I had no specific need to gain more or less, just didn't want to gain more than 25 because I was heavier than I would have liked from having B in 2008.

4- I'm not happy about the amount because I don't shed the pounds like those lucky women who lose just from breast feeding. I could nurse 24/7 and not lose an ounce. I have a plan though. I was well enough (from C/S) to be physically active around 2w PP after B, so I'm hitting up the gym and the treadmil or walking outside depending on the weather. I don't know what it'll be like outside in early April though should be warm enough. big kids will be in school and B and L and I can get out of the house.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#19 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
4- I'm not happy about the amount because I don't shed the pounds like those lucky women who lose just from breast feeding. I could nurse 24/7 and not lose an ounce.
Whew! It's not just me then, Tenk? I am beginning to think we are twins separated at birth or something. I am so envious of women who can and do lose weight while nursing. I don't understand why I have to be in the group that doesn't!!! (As I stomp my feet and have a pity party for myself.)

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#20 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostinkinhappy View Post
Whew! It's not just me then, Tenk? I am beginning to think we are twins separated at birth or something. I am so envious of women who can and do lose weight while nursing. I don't understand why I have to be in the group that doesn't!!! (As I stomp my feet and have a pity party for myself.)
We do have a lot of very similar things going on don't we? Yeah, my BFF had her baby 9 days ago and has lost all but 8lbs already, and she's supplementing too, what gives??? I always see these beautiful women that look so skinny soon after baby comes, and well I still look like I have a baby in there LOL.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#21 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 PM

1. 26 pounds so far
2. 28 wks
3. I expected to gain more than avg. because my BMI was between 18 and 19
4. I'm cool with this. It freaked me out at first because I gained a bunch between 3rd and 4th month and did not want to continue at that pace, but then it plateaued and I've been gaining much slower since. I expected to gain 30-40 pounds and that will probably happen and be great for little woot. I'm happy that I pretty much just have a basketball belly but look pretty similar otherwise.

Your turn, Shannie

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#22 of 36 Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 PM

1. 20 or 25 pounds so far (last time i weighed myself it was 20 pounds....I stopped stepping on the scale)
2. 27w4d.
3. I wasn't "underweight" when I started, but I was skinny. I was expecting to get a lot of fat in preparation for breastfeeding. I had a lot of muscle, which I promptly lost in the first trimester what with my lack of appetite, lack of working out, and the flu. 4. Amazingly, even with all that weight gain, it seems to be all boob and belly, so even though I hate the numbers going up on the scale, I am remaining optimistic that it will come off quickly. I gained about 10 pounds between 22 and 24 weeks, which was a huge jump, but other than that, my weight gain seems normal.

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#23 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

1. 14# as of my last appt., which was a week ago.
2. 30 weeks
3. Less than average because I was overweight to start with, although 20# lighter than when pg with my DD. MW would like me to gain between 12-25#.
4. I have mixed feelings. I wish I was gaining less, but feel like my body is somehow "pre-programmed" to gain a certain amount (I gained 30-35 with DD). I'm proud that I have not yet even hit my pre-pregnancy weight from DD, though! I worked hard to lose that 20# before getting pg this time. I did freak-out a bit in Jan. when I saw a 10# gain within the space of 6 weeks, but prior to that I had not gained any weight.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#24 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM

About 4 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. I am about 28-29 weeks along.
#25 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM

1./ I think I've gained about 23 lbs so far. I know it fluctuates between 2-3lbs a day though... so I guess between 20-26lbs)
2./ 32 weeks!!!
3./ No, I was on the low end of a 'normal BMI' so my MW isn't too worried about what I have gained so far. I figure if I gain 35 all together, I will be happy
4./ I was stressed at first about it but now that I actually see a much bigger belly, I feel like it's going somewhere. When I was gaining and I wasn't really showing, I was wondering where it was going, and it made me nervous (especially since I went through a 12 lb increase between 20 and 25 weeks). I am exercising again too (after being too exhausted in the first tri), so it makes me feel better that I am doing something good to counteract the weight gain somewhat, or at least building muscle again, helping to boost my metabolism which should be helpful after birth.

Mom to Isaac Arthur (May 7, 2010)
#26 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Okie... I will answer my own pol1.

1./ I have gained 13 pounds
2./ That was at 27 weeks on the nose
3./ My BMI was 19 when I got pregnant, but I had just gained about 10 pounds. My midwives don't even weight their clients unless there is some need to.
4./ Most days I am totally fine with it. With DD I gained about 35 and had lost over 50 pounds by the time DD was a year. I ended up being one of those people who loses a lot from nursing. I have a history of eating disorders so I fluctuate between not wanting to gain, and then knowing I need to gain, especially if my body reacts the same way to nursing this time. Also for the record with DD I hadn't gained much more then I have now at this point - I guess I am a slow starter in the weight gain department but with DD I ended up catching up.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#27 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 03:22 PM

1. About 11 lbs
2. 29 weeks
3. My midwives haven't said a thing, and since I'm at LEAST 30 lbs from anywhere near "ideal" weight when non-pregnant, I'm guessing my weight gain is okay.
4. Eh. I weigh more now than I did when I delivered my son, and I assume I'll gain more in the next 11 weeks, which makes me sigh some, but I didn't really think pregnancy would be a slimming experience, you know?
#28 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM

1. 16-18lb depending on the day and how constipated I am. I think probably 17 legit lbs.
2. I am 27w3d
3. No. I am 5'8" and started pregnancy at 133.4lbs when I weighed in at 6 weeks. So within normal range. I did have a pretty low body fat, around 16%, then, so I expected a full normal weight gain. My last two pregnancies were 27lb gain and 30-32lb gain (lost a couple the last couple weeks). I am on track for a full 30lb or more.
4. How do I feel about it....two replies.
-Rational Reply: I feel fine with it. I eat extremely clean and feel good that I am about to be very active through my pregnancy. I have lost the weight on both my other pregnancies within 6 weeks and am also someone that loses weight while BF-ing. I have no reason to think I will not bounce back as quickly this time as the others.
-Emotional Reply: It's not fair! I eat 7 meals a day, every 2 hours, each with a perfectly split of whole food carbs and lean protein, veggies and good carbs. I workout like a mad man....run miles, lift heavy and hard.....I should be one of those irritating women that gain 17lbs. I have a hard time watching my body grow and not being able to work hard to stop it. Because I stay really lean when not pregnant, watching the body fat gain go up when there is no way I can stop it is hard for me. My DH also has a very public job and we spend a lot of time at social engagments with other wives that are about 75% surgically altered in some way. THe vanity part is hard when surrounded by trophy wife barbies.

All in all, I am okay with it. I would love to gain 20-25lbs but that won't happen. I have 8-9lb babies. They have been so very healthy. Pushing has been 5 min or less with each. No matter how healthy I eat and how much I work out, 30lbs seems to be a comfort zone for my body. I am working hard on embracing that and not comparing myself to others.
#29 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I have gained 11 pounds.
I am heading into week 30.
I should gain less than average b/c I have a hypothyroid condition and my levels were lower than normal when I got pregnant hence my weight was up a bit higher.
I feel good b/c I am going for a VBAC and everything is measuring right on, no GD and weight considering my pre-preg weight is spot-on.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#30 of 36 Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post

I had not lost all of the baby weight from DD so I wanted to gain less than average. My m/ws aren't concerned though and didn't set a guideline for me.

Weight gain in general freaks me out b/c I do NOT lose weight quickly or easily. it takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears for me to budge weight wise. I know that what it will take is a LOT of exercise to lose my accumulated weight. I don't know that I will have time to do a lot of exercise for at least a year. I'm trying to be positive about that though and making a plan now.
I'm pretty much exactly the same Starfish! Hard time losing weight, had'nt lost it all from DD, etc.

anyway, my answers:

1./ How much weight have you gained so far? 23-24 lbs
2./ How far along are you now? 30 weeks
3./ Do you need to gain more or less then average for any reason? Was overweight to start so I wanted to gain no more than 25. Meh.
4./ How do you feel about your weight gain? All in all, it's fine. Just not looking forward to the post-partum "puffy" phase.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page