Speaking of bellybuttons.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what determines if baby has an innie or an outie? I used to think it was the way the cord was cut but that didnt make sense. Is it how the stump falls off? Ive heard of all sorts of weird things like putting a quarter in there or something.... lol I wanted DS to have an innie (mostly because I have one) but didnt do anything to make it that way. It just ended up being that way. Anyone know?

BFPChart2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM

I remember reading somewhere that an outie is actually a form of hernia (not a problem hernia). DS has an outie, it's so flipping cute that every time I see his belly button I want to zerbert his belly mercilessly.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 PM

During pregnancy, the umbilical cord connects through the fetal abdominal wall to a set of arteries and veins inside the fetus which deliver blood to the fetal heart. These have no use after birthing, so just as the cord falls off the outside of the baby, inside the baby these now-obsolete vessels shrivel into a little fibrous remnant (umbilical ligament).

The muscles of the fetal abdominal wall had developed in such a way that there was a little window to let these vessels pass through. After the cord falls off, new muscle doesn't grow to close the hole, there is only fibrous material (fascia) there, holding the sheets of muscle together. If the hole is too big, it's a hernia, exactly as emnic explained. A very large umbilical defect is associated with omphalocele (babies born with intestines outside the belly). The hole is never too small, that would have resulted in embryonic death very very very early.

So it's essentially genetics and luck, how big that internal scar from your specialized fetal vessels is. There's no way to influence it from the outside. It's pretty common for young'uns to have a small umbilical hernia (oversized outie) that closes on its own.

When I'm not pregnant, I can stick my pinkie finger in my belly button and (with some concentration) flex my stomach muscles horizontally and then vertically, and feel the abdominal muscles pressing on my finger, first side to side and then up and down, because my belly button is wide enough that I can get my finger all the way through my muscle wall. But it's still an innie, because I have more body fat outside the muscles than inside.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
Old 03-04-2010, 05:22 PM

DDC - but WOW, that was the greatest belly button explanation I have ever heard.

Thanks!

Me (36), my DH (37), our DD (12/07), and our new DS (7/7/10)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasattva View Post
DDC - but WOW, that was the greatest belly button explanation I have ever heard.

Thanks!

Seriously, that was awesome.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobit View Post
During pregnancy, the umbilical cord connects through the fetal abdominal wall to a set of arteries and veins inside the fetus which deliver blood to the fetal heart. These have no use after birthing, so just as the cord falls off the outside of the baby, inside the baby these now-obsolete vessels shrivel into a little fibrous remnant (umbilical ligament).

The muscles of the fetal abdominal wall had developed in such a way that there was a little window to let these vessels pass through. After the cord falls off, new muscle doesn't grow to close the hole, there is only fibrous material (fascia) there, holding the sheets of muscle together. If the hole is too big, it's a hernia, exactly as emnic explained. A very large umbilical defect is associated with omphalocele (babies born with intestines outside the belly). The hole is never too small, that would have resulted in embryonic death very very very early.

So it's essentially genetics and luck, how big that internal scar from your specialized fetal vessels is. There's no way to influence it from the outside. It's pretty common for young'uns to have a small umbilical hernia (oversized outie) that closes on its own.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
Seriously, that was awesome.
Yup! Amazing explanation.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM

wow wobit, that's amazing LOL!!!

I have 1 DC with an outtie, and 3 DC with innies.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Shucks, thanks y'all. Can I just say that, aside from the smell, gross anatomy was a wicked super cool class? We are so fascinatingly beautiful inside.......... There's a piece of me that wants to take it over and over again because I suspect I'd learn exponentially more each time.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 

User Tag List