Normal to Have NO BHicks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title pretty much says it all. I haven't felt any of these contractions. I heard they might feel worse if you're constipated, which I have not been during this preg. but I don't know if that's actually true or a theory. Just wondering how many of you are having them and who is not. Thanks!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Not everyone gets them. Especially if this is your first. You may be feeling them and not know what it is. Totally normal either way.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Mine are so subtle that I wouldn't notice them if I don't happen to have my hands on my belly to feel it hardening. TMI: after you orgasm, your uterus will feel hard and contracted because it's the same hormone (oxytocin) involved. This is why pelvic rest is recommended for women with "irritable uterus". So, use that as your baseline. Not to be creepy by recommending this, but next time, right after ... feel your tummy. It'll be very firm all over, and you can't press through it like you normally can. That's a contraction. It doesn't need to hurt. (For this purpose, it doesn't count if you didn't come).

I sometimes notice it right when I wake up in the morning, scampering down the hall to pee. My belly gets very very firm, but that's about it. It lasts a few minutes and then disappears.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not due in May but thought I would respond. I never had BH with any of mine.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM

With my first I didn't notice them until a few weeks before DDs birth. I only noticed because our prenatal instructor said everyone gets them but some people don't feel them. She said you might notice them if you touch your belly and feel that it is all hard. That day I just kept my hand on my belly and low and behold I noticed it getting hard.

With this pregnancy I noticed them really early. I think it is pretty common not to notice them with your first.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Done having kiddos but have three and not a BH with any of them.....
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM

I did not have them with my first but am definitely having them now

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 PM

i'm pretty sure everyone has them, just to different extents. for some they are painful or uncomfortable and for some they're barely there.

i didn't recognize them as such with my first until my m/w was palpitating my stomach and said, "oo, we have to wait, you're having a ctx." then i started noticing my stomach tightening. even this time around i sometimes don't notice i'm having one until i touch my stomach.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM

I had ONE that I could notice with my last pg. I have had one or two so far this time, one of which felt crampy. I guess not everyone has them, or notices them.

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, who knew? Well, you all did. Thanks for explaining the mystery of the elusive Braxton Hicks so well for me. I will see if I notice any tightening now! So far, nothing that fits that description but now I've got my sensor on.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM

I didn't have them with my 1st, but I did have preterm labor around 23 weeks. Other than that, no BH for me. Very normal mama!! Lucky you!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn_warbler View Post
i'm pretty sure everyone has them, just to different extents. for some they are painful or uncomfortable and for some they're barely there.

i didn't recognize them as such with my first until my m/w was palpitating my stomach and said, "oo, we have to wait, you're having a ctx." then i started noticing my stomach tightening. even this time around i sometimes don't notice i'm having one until i touch my stomach.
well i think i noticed my 1st BH this weekend. i bent down to pick something up, and when i stood up i noticed that it seemed as though my tummy got tense. it didn't hurt or anything. actually it was barely noticeable, but i did touch my stomach, and notice that it was hard. so i ran out to the living room to ask DH to feel and see if he noticed it too, and he did.

User Tag List