Building the nest... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm just curious what kind of "nest" all the other mama's have built?

We are homebirthing, and are avid co-sleepers so even if we were hospital birthing, we have a nest built up for after. My bedroom

I have moved my bed alongside the wall for space reasons, but also because it free's up the area in my room where I want my birthing tub. Our curtains now have panels behind them so the light can be easier controlled. Our bedroom light has a dimmer switch on it (DH's brilliant idea last time-and we love it!) I still want a small night light for night feedings and changing. Her cradle will go alongside our bed for when she's not tucked right in with us. I'd like to get a dresser for her in here. I've been stuffing all her clothes/blankets etc in the dresser that serves as a TV stand in the living room, but don't want to have to go out there everytime I need her clothes. (I'm thinking of visitors...and being able to shut up in my room if I want to). My bathroom drawers are about to be stuffed with homebirth supplies and PP pads, nursing pads etc. I'd like to have a night stand of sorts so I can have drink/food bedside, at least a couple days PP, may have to improvise on that one til I am up on my feet.

So in short, my room is our nest

I also ordered a gauze wrap from wombfruits.blogspot.com My last March baby was a little too toasty in the Moby. I really hope the gauze makes a big difference. It was kind of a splurge, but I don't want to give up baby wearing just because of the heat...would love opinions on that! I have a ring sling too, but prefer the closeness of a Moby type for early on.

Still need: Burt's bee's buttermilk bath stuff (yum!) At least need to order some small diapers from GMD, and some more knitting to do, but the yarn is already bought! Wow I feel pretty set really. Thank God I started nesting early on!

Clean, organize, and get some food in the freezer! OH! My mom got us a new fridge!!! It's not the freezer for the garage that I wanted, but it's much bigger than our current one, and we can put the one we have in the garage, and just use the freezer part. I'm SO excited about that!

So....what's your nest like? Where is it? What's left on your list of "to do's or to buys?" I love getting idea's from you ladies! Happy Nesting!!!

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM

I have most everything ready, too. I like to be prepared. Started packing my bag today and have the baby bag packed already. We are still trying to figure out our sleeping arrangements. My youngest DD (4) sleeps most nights with me (DP works nights), and I am worried about the safety of LO who will be cosleeping. We're thinking of trying to put another mattress on the floor next to our bed for DD when she makes her late night appearances in our room. My brother offered his bassinet if we need it, but I hope we won't. Now I am thinking we may move the changing table into our room at least in the beginning too.

My Dad gave us a small cube fridge he wasn't using, and we will be putting that upstairs in our room for cold drinks, snacks, etc so I won't have to haul myself up and down the stairs all day and night.

The deep freeze is mostly stocked now, I have been cooking and filling it. DP will be cooking more in the next couple of days and that will keep us going for a while. Arrangements have been made for the girls while I am in the hospital. The car seat has been tested, it fits between the booster seats, just needs to be put in the car in a few weeks. And of course, we have lots of lists so we don't forget anything (hah!).

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Strictly speaking for the birth - I am starting to get a little antsy about this one. I am being picky, but I plan on birthing in our bedroom. Since we just bought this house last June, and have lots of little things to do, and then I got pregnant just a couple months later, I haven't gotten our bedroom painted yet. It's one of the least "put together" rooms in our house (except for our music room, ugh) and I *need* it to look nice before the birth. I am putting the tub in there, I need to paint and put up some window treatments and some art, and put a few more plants in there. I also would like to get a little table sized fountain, I'd like to hear some running water while I am birthing

So, yeah, I haven't even started painting yet. DH wants to wait until it's a bit warmer so we can open windows, but like I said, I'm getting antsy.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM

I haven't done anything. I feel weird getting ready much before 6 weeks from EDD. At that time I will get our room all set up and will have all of babies supplies in it. We will likely sidecar our crib to our bed again. Even if baby doesn't end up sleeping in there it gives us a bit of extra space... and a place for late night diaper changes.

We are trying to sell our house right now and have been keeping it spotless each day in case we have showings. That definitely makes it hard to do much of anything. Some days I feel nervous making lunch, because sometimes I will get a call with only a bit of lead time. UGH!

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 AM

I HAD gotten all organized and felt well on the way to being prepared, but than my two yongest have been sick for two weeks straight and my house has kind of gone to crap!

As for the baby, I am sewing most of her clothes and diapers and am close to being done with that. I would like to start on a diaper stash for the next size too, but we'll see. I need to figure out space in our bedroom for her things. Our bedroom is also one of the least organized places in our house. We just got a new bed and have it pushed up against the wall as that is the most comfortable for us and co-sleeping. DD is in her own bed now, but comes in for the last couple of hours in the morning and I'm a bit aprehensive about working it out with a newborn in the bed too. I am planning on splurging on a Kanoe baby hammock, and will have a hook in the bedroom to use when dh and I want the bed to ourselves for a few... lol, and I plan on having hooks in each room too for when I need to put the baby down, etc.

We are planning a homebirth also, but will be birthing in our living room, which has dimming lights and a nice cozy feel. It is the most together room in my house, which makes it feel like the best room to birth in. I just need to fix my dividers so I can make a private entrance for the front door... so it's not like TA DA there is a naked woman in labor! When you first walk into my house! lol...

Anyway, my mom is coming up for the first weekend in April and will be helping me get more prepared... bless her!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
Strictly speaking for the birth - I am starting to get a little antsy about this one. I am being picky, but I plan on birthing in our bedroom. Since we just bought this house last June, and have lots of little things to do, and then I got pregnant just a couple months later, I haven't gotten our bedroom painted yet. It's one of the least "put together" rooms in our house (except for our music room, ugh) and I *need* it to look nice before the birth. I am putting the tub in there, I need to paint and put up some window treatments and some art, and put a few more plants in there. I also would like to get a little table sized fountain, I'd like to hear some running water while I am birthing

So, yeah, I haven't even started painting yet. DH wants to wait until it's a bit warmer so we can open windows, but like I said, I'm getting antsy.
Our room was the last room done after we bought our house, too. It drove me nuts b/c I fully believe that your bedroom should be your haven in your home. Good luck getting it done!

We still need to do a few things to DD's room to help with organization, like rearranging drawers and building the organizational stuff we bought to get cloth diapers in order for two babies. Eventually they will share the room but for about the first year we will co-sleep. I need to pull out our bed bumper thingy and just have it ready.

One of my best friends has a lot of our early baby stuff (e.g., bath pod, Amby, boppy) and I need to get those back but I'm not in any hurry for those.

The last "buy" item on our list is a new breast pump which my mom is getting me for my birthday-wooo hooooo! You know your life has changed when you are excited about getting a breast pump for your birthday.

I'd like a new diaper bag, too, as I have yet to find one I love but that's not a necessity.

Packing my bag...eesh! We did that the morning my water broke last time...

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:58 AM

I'm only on for a minute before work but I have to say, no one should be this excited about diapers, LOL! I am off the flippin wall bonkers and I ordered samples of laundry detergent last night and it was like this huge weight was lifted from my shoulders.

I had no idea I was so stressed about diapers and laundry! LOL

Oh that said, I am totally using the tutorial to make a kitchen sprayer into a diapers sprayer (I'm crafteh)

<3

Olivia
Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

lol you ladies are so crafty!!!

Kelly! I love the cube fridge in the room idea! Course, my kitchen is a mere 15 feet from my bedroom. There's just something about knowing you can lock a door and totally survive in a little haven all by yourself for a while if you needed to. I love the idea of a little separate "motel room" that I can come out of with my baby if and when we feel ready.

Plants in the room...I've been looking for ideas to change up my room a little bit. My last was born, same room, same spot, not quite two years ago, and we had to transfer from birthing tub to hospital. All is well now, but I'm worried about having the same labor conditions causing some nervousness or panic. I'm trying to rearrange furniture/add things like pictures, a splash of color...didn't even think of plants or a fountain! Gonna have to ponder that one now!

mamspirit...I can totally relate. I have been struggling through a "mild case" of pneumonia. They said mild because i have no fever. I am going into week three and a second round of antibiotics and it sucks big time! The house is slowly falling apart and DH and I have been going rounds about who is more tired and who has put in more work, which is just stupid, we are both exhausted...which is why I'm so glad I already had so much done!

Starfish, I'm totally laughing at the "you know your life has changed..." because it is SO TRUE!

I'm more excited over cloth diapers, breastfeeding supplies etc than I ever was over cute baby clothes or the most expensive crib in Babies R us. I actually really really get a kick out of how little we need. I remember my first kids (when I was very mainstream)...feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, poor and needy because there was so much stuff I thought was necessary and I was constantly "compromising" on my registry list. I love being able to look at DH when he's stressing about money and asking me what other baby stuff we need, and honestly saying we are pretty set! That feels so RAD! And what's left could easily be found second hand or put off until she is bigger. And he says we could afford more than one more baby! LOL!!! (yeah, I'm pretty done though )

okay okay the teenagers want me to drive them to school now! I could play on this thread all day Love the ideas ladies! Tell me more!

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM

We are having baby in the hospital. Baby will have either a basinette or cosleeper next to the bed, which I need to drag out. She will go back and forth between there and our bed depending on where DD2 is at. DD2 sleeps across the hall, but wanders in when she wants. So we are not doing an official nursery. We have our master bedroom and a sitting room off of that. We have a mini crib, changing table and glider rocker in the sitting room (which is double as our office as well). The mini crib will get use if DD3 needs a safe place to snooze that would not let DD2 try and put makeup on her or something, if I am showering or whatever.

Baby items will reside partly in the closet and dresser and DD2's room and partly in some drawers in the sitting room.

Everything else will be spread all over the green earth, lol.

Most of my nesting is centering around get DD2 organized to be more self-sufficiant, things like that. I made this GREAT list of weekly tasks between now and baby. No idea why I do that because I know that I will do NOTHING until like 34 weeks then I will do it all at once, lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM

I forgot about a nightlight so that nighttime nursing can be lighted if needed...will have to hunt that up and make sure it still has working bulbs. Also, thanks for the link to the gauze wrap maker's site...I was just thinking about getting something less intense than the Moby...just what I wanted.

I found a nursing swimsuit that I want to buy eventually and bookmarked it. I have little wicker baskets for the baby's clothes and diapers that went into the bookshelves yesterday where they will live. I am hoping to sort, wash and stash all the stored baby clothes this afternoon. I am debating about shifting furniture around in our room somehow to make it more open or cozy for the birth. (We're having a homebirth in our bedroom) I want to get the herbs I need for the afterbirth/anti-afterpain tea I heard about from my assistant midwife at the last appointment. I should get out the Moses basket and tuck it into the corner of our bedroom eventually but I think I'll wait for a bit. I also plan to make a "How would I like my birth to go" essay up at some point...did that for my last birth and found it so helpful and empowering. Would like to start compiling a birth cd and should also make a list of what snacks I want around and make an afterbirth meal to have in the freezer. I really haven't done much yet...I tend to bust into these things in the 6 week window.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Well, I thought I was "nesting", but you guys make me feel like a slacker

Being my first, I have to admit I've been focused on the nursery, which is a little ridiculous since the baby will be sleeping with us for awhile (not sure how long yet). But, I have washed clothes, towels, linens, etc. and found an initial location for them. I'm sure this will change.

We still need to set up our room. I bought a co-sleeper last weekend that we need to set up. DH isn't keen on the baby in the bed all night, so I'll be setting it up next to the bed. I just need to see how to best rearrange things in our room to accommodate that.

Also still need to get some basic supplies, but I figure we have time for that. The urge to get organized seems to get stronger every day.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM

My goal for this month is to finish cleaning out our house. We just got my DD's bunkbeds this past weekend, so their room is all ready. We can put them both on the top bunk and let someone else sleep on the bottom when I'm in labor if need be.

Next month is my cooking/prep month. Fill the freezer and order/stock up on homebirth supplies. I've not gotten any baby gear out yet, except for a few odds and ends that never got put away after DD2.

For May, since I'll be 37 weeks on May 1st, I plan on resting, sewing, and knitting.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10

User Tag List