baby products - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm being hounded for a registry Anyone got favorite baby bath type products? I know I want to go natural and if possible organic. Any suggestions for a first time mama? (other registry must haves welcome too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 AM

Honestly with DD we didn't really use any bath products at all... well not until she was well past one. We just cleaned her with water. My mom did get us some diaper cream from the health food store that we used a bit, and I used a salve which has since been discontinued for her dry cheeks.

My DD has zero hair until she was after one so it has only been now that she is nearing three that washing on anything of a regular basis is on the radar.

I know a lot of people like Baby Burts Bees.

Those little face clothes are great. I think I have about 20 and between DD and I they get a lot of use.

I didn't register for clothes because I had so many hand me downs. If you need clothes I would recommend registering for some bigger sizes. I basically didn't have to buy DD any clothes until she was almost 2 between hand-me-downs and gifts.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 AM

I use Dr. Bronner's baby mild soap and am planning on using that and Burt's Bees diaper cream if needed and their baby salve and baby apricot oil as a special massage treat.

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 AM

I really like California Baby products- I've used their sensitive/fragrance free wash/shampoo for a few years now on both of my DD's. One bottle lasts forever!

My oldest has eczema and theirs was one of the very few soap products that doesn't bother her.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
I really like California Baby products- I've used their sensitive/fragrance free wash/shampoo for a few years now on both of my DD's. One bottle lasts forever!

My oldest has eczema and theirs was one of the very few soap products that doesn't bother her.
Another vote for California Baby- they are my favorite! Also ditto on the eczema with ds. California Baby is great for sensitive skin

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 AM

I like California Baby Products (all of them)...I'm going with that as my good ol standby, but also going to try some Burts Bee's baby bee stuff, cause I hear raves about it.

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 AM

I can't remember the name of the shampoo I use and am too lazy to get up and go check in the bathroom. I found it using the skindeep database...a good place to check out in regards to toiletry products (especially baby stuff). I also love the Burt's Bee's apricot baby oil for cozy post bath massaging.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I second the recommendation for te Skin Deep Database. It's clear, searchable by product type or brand, and explains how it comes to its ratings. It reliably errs on the side of being harsh, downgrading a product even for too much essential oil or anything that can be irritating even to just some of the population. But since it explains the breakdown of the ratings so that you can make your own decision about which potentially irritating ingredients you are comfortable with!

We love Badger sunscreen, initially bought it just for the baby but now the whole family uses it. It doesn't make my face break out, it stands up well to water, it washes out of clothes, it has shea butter in it which is very nice and conditioning. Our May babies will be too young for sunscreen this summer, but this is a great product for the long haul.

We liked California Baby shampoo, and I use a dab of their conditioner as a leave-in detangler for my toddler. Very pure ingredients. Like a previous poster, I used only plain water on her for the first week, then only very dilute cloth wipes solution on areas of visible soil. We didn't get into regular shampooing for nearly 4 months, and she was born with a lot of hair.

For moisturizer, I like food-grade apricot kernal oil. Though I aesthetically like the scent of the Burts Bees apricot baby oil, it has a lot of added stuff and synthetic fragrance (which is typically phthalates) and the bottle is designed poorly. And it's twice as expensive as plain ordinary apricot kernal oil. Jojoba, almond, and coconut oils are also great. We put these oils on her bum to prevent diaper rash (cloth diaper compatible), on her chin for drooling chappiness, and worked through her hair when we had a touch of cradle cap.

When we are fending off serious diaper area trouble, we use Alba UnPetroleum, which has the consistency of vaseline but is plant-based and cloth diaper compatible. Also nice on my cheeks when I got a sunburn last summer - no breakouts.

I've been less enamored of Burts Bees since they were bought by Procter & Gamble. Pretty much all I buy of theirs anymore is the tinted lip balm (love the Fig color).

Remember all the fuss about BPA in baby bottles and teethers? They put that stuff into baby lotions. Seriously. Blech. I was given several pretty little bottles of various other baby products, which I just disposed of. I don't want it near my kid. So I would steer clear of most mainstream products. They're unnecessary at best.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM

water
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM

I've been using the Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff on me so far during pg and have heard rave reviews about their baby products too- all their products have a zero rating on the Skin Deep database and none are tested on animals/have any animal products in them.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM

We swear by Weleda's Calendula Baby line.

Its the best...organic, biodynamic, no fragrances, synthetics added and my son who is now 17 months has never had a rash or problem. He is very very fair and has sensitive skin.
The diaper cream is great for cloth diapers too- will not stain or leave a mark like other brands.
We did try Ca. Baby diaper cream once and I returned it. It was weirdly gelatinous and didn't absorb into the skin.
We use in the Calendula line: the cream bath, the shampoo & body wash, diaper cream, face cream and body oil.
My husband likes to use the stuff too

Re. Burt's Bees, now that my son is older, we have used the Buttermilk Soak but it does have fragrances added and I wouldn't have used this when he was under 6 months old or any of their other stuff but maybe thats just me.
I have tried their Apricot Baby Oil as well and wasn't thrilled by the formula- esp. since Burt's Bees was sold a few years ago to Clorox, they have went cheaper with their ingredients and now the Baby Oil includes vegetable oil.
I am not overly eager to support Clorox either.

A good place to get Weleda online if you decide you like it beyond a registry, is vitacost. Great prices!

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
We swear by Weleda's Calendula Baby line.

Its the best...organic, biodynamic, no fragrances, synthetics added and my son who is now 17 months has never had a rash or problem. He is very very fair and has sensitive skin.
The diaper cream is great for cloth diapers too- will not stain or leave a mark like other brands.
I LOVED the Weleda Calendula stuff with my DD and put it on my registry again this time!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 PM

As far as shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath for my dd we use a brand called Clean Kids Naturally. It is awesome, minimal ingredients, nothing I can't pronounce. This is the safest stuff I have ever found.

Here's the website:
http://www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com/index.cfm?category=4

Michelle

Shampoo Ingredients List:
Aqua (Infusion of Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice)*
Laminaria Japonica (Red Seaweed) Extract*
*Organic
Glycerin
Plant oils
Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract*
Betula Alba Bark/Leaf Extract*
Pyrus Malus (Apple) Flower Extract*
Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Peel*
Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract*
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract*
Citric Acid
Derived from citrus fruit
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*
*Organic
Lecithin
A natural antioxidant and emollient
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin B5
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*
*Organic
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil*
*Organic
Potassium Sorbate
Plant derived functions as a food grade preservative
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM

I use Weleda Calendula oil, too.

But I don't really use diaper rash stuff, and I've never used soap on him. Just water, and the Calendula oil if he's getting a massage, or for a bit of cradle cap.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm another for Weleda. We used CA Baby for a while, but we needed something richer for DS's super-dry skin. We use their body wash, diaper cream and body cream (the thicker version of the lotion).

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM

For DD we used Eucerin soap-free, fragrance-free body wash. It was the only thing that didn't aggravate her eczema. I might have to look into the Weleda products though!

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post

Another fan of California Baby here! It's non-toxic and so very gentle.

Just avoid these:

http://www.safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=426

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobit View Post
For moisturizer, I like food-grade apricot kernal oil. Though I aesthetically like the scent of the Burts Bees apricot baby oil, it has a lot of added stuff and synthetic fragrance (which is typically phthalates) and the bottle is designed poorly. And it's twice as expensive as plain ordinary apricot kernal oil. Jojoba, almond, and coconut oils are also great. We put these oils on her bum to prevent diaper rash (cloth diaper compatible), on her chin for drooling chappiness, and worked through her hair when we had a touch of cradle cap.
I've been using almond oil with some drops of lavender oil mixed in for scent on my skin - any thoughts on using that on the baby? I know straight essential oil would be too harsh, but if it's like 10-20 drops diluted in 8 oz of oil?

TIA!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I think we're going to use Gaia Baby products. They seem to use all natural ingredients and are cruelty free. They smell good and they are about half the price of some of the other nice natural products. Still three times the price of the leading baby brands though Oh, and we can get them at our supermarket so nice and convenient.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloe View Post
water

You don't need anything else.
Maybe some olive oil for a baby massage after the bath

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
I've been using the Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff on me so far during pg and have heard rave reviews about their baby products too- all their products have a zero rating on the Skin Deep database and none are tested on animals/have any animal products in them.
LOVE earth mama angel baby!! Haven't used their baby products yet though...

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *EarthMama* View Post
LOVE earth mama angel baby!! Haven't used their baby products yet though...

Sure, baby only needs to be cleaned with water, but we need to allow people their rituals and buying/making stuff for new families is one of them. Why not let them help you load up on stuff for later on?

I don't know how well you know all these folks, but maybe a few items for the mommy could be added to the list. I'm planning to get myself some of the Earth Mama postpartum stuff, but I would never be able to ask one of my elderly aunts to get me a bottom spray !

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM

i would not recommend using lavender essential oil on the baby, even diluted, especially for boys...it's been linked to breast growth in boys as it potentially mimics estrogen.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...r-breasts-boys

Happily married to DH since 2007, mama to my sweet water baby boy, born at home on 5/3/10!
Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsquared View Post
i would not recommend using lavender essential oil on the baby, even diluted, especially for boys...it's been linked to breast growth in boys as it potentially mimics estrogen.
Yeah that. I use such tiny amount of essential oils, I'm not the best person to ask about it. I feel like, with homeopathy it's at worst a sugar pill, but with herbals and essential oils it's entirely possible to do bad things accidentally, so it's better to ask someone who knows. The active components are stronger. There may be an herbalist forum here? I'm sure there are MDCers who know lots about this.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Another big fan of Weleda here! The baby products have a very mild, natural scent that is not so overwhelming like some other natural baby products we've used.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Another California Baby Super Sensitive fan here. We've used it since DD was born and will continue with the newbie. I had some Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild that we tried a few times but we stopped b/c it was so drying. I also used apricot oil until I switched to Alba Very Emollient body lotion (unscented). I love that stuff and use it myself.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 AM

I really like burts bees and have for years and years and just now reading about them being sold... I use all their products on me and the kids, I swear by their hand soaps as I never feel like I need to use lotions after like most everything else. Now though.... california baby is going on my list. Thank you mamas!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM

I mmight have to try California babies, thanks everyone!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Safe Mama Blog just released their 2010 Safer Baby Skin Care Cheat Sheet.
http://safemama.com/2010/03/15/parab...kin-care-baby/

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going with Earth Mama Angel Baby bath care products and Heiko SPF 40 kids sun screen. The skin deep website is great! and a bit scary....

Tags
Earth Mama Body Butter 8oz , Earth Mama Body Butter 4oz , Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby Labor Ease Massage Oil 30 Ml Oil , Earth Mama Angel Baby Postpartum Recovery Bath Herbs , Earth Mama Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby C Mama Healing Salve , Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics , Earth Mama Angel Baby
User Tag List