CD mamas - onesies yay or nay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've heard certain outfits like onesies & tighter sleepers can be difficult to fit over fluffy butts so i've been focusing on gowns and pants/t-shirts for most of my NB clothes...plus they're easier for changing and the tees can be easily worn with just the diaper/cover for warmer months coming up.

are there particular things you'd recommend getting or not? thanks!

Happily married to DH since 2007, mama to my sweet water baby boy, born at home on 5/3/10!
#2 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 AM

They're harder to find, but I like the regular t-shirts (long sleeve and short sleeve) with cloth. I've used onesies in the past, and I still have a boatload of them, but I buy the extender piece that snaps between the legs to make them a little more roomy for those fluffy butts.

Speaking of which, I should probably start knitting some "baby legs." Those are nice for when you want something on their legs but want to skip pants.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#3 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 AM

We don't use onesies, but not because of our cloth. It's SO much harder to EC with a onesie on. I'm actually considering cutting all my onesies into t shirts just so I can avoid the back snaps going into the potty.

We CD'd both our other two kids and didn't have a problem with clothes fitting over the dipe ever. We used prefolds and a cover and then fitteds (Kissaluvs) with a cover.
#4 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea to cut all my onesies to t-shirts and just sew a little hem on them. Thanks!

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#5 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM

I agree, we used onesies too, even tho the butt was a bit puffy. They aren't expensive or hard to find so buying them ten cutting them sounds good to me. I also decided that i would do dresses instead of all onesies. just a thought.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#6 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 AM

I'll be the oddball: we love onesies and used them all the time with DD1. I found anything else would ride up ALL the time, so I was constantly pulling shirts and gowns down to keep DD's poor tummy and legs covered. She was a wriggler, hated swaddling, so maybe that was just her. If fit was ever an issue, we'd just move up to the next size; but to be honest we didn't have too much trouble in that regard as Carters, for example, runs pretty darn big anyway.

And I LOVE a CD bubble butt. Gives you something to hold onto.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#7 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM

We EC and CD and don't use onsies. I think no matter what the diaper I wouldn't like onsies. It drives me nuts that every outfit comes with a onsie!! DD, also a May baby spent a lot of time in plain undershirts and cloth diapers through the summer. When we went out I put her in two piece out fits.

Like Emnic said it is hard to find the plain undershirts... but they are out there. I have ones with buttons which DH really liked because he was really nervous pulling anything over DDs head.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#8 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

i like the under the nile organic t-shirts...just have 1 or 2 so far. little pricier at about $10-12 each but i love that they're so soft and organic.

http://www.pureinfant.com/Under_the_...utn-i2-274.htm
http://www.pureinfant.com/Under_the_...utn-i2-255.htm

plus i got some of the plain snap gerber ones used at a consignment sale. thanks for the feedback ladies!

Happily married to DH since 2007, mama to my sweet water baby boy, born at home on 5/3/10!
#9 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM

I like the side-snap kimono style t-shirts for newborns, because I hate pulling onesies over a floppy head , but we usually use onesies over cloth after the initial few weeks. I've not had fit issues, but have found (at least in the past) that gerber onesies run smaller then Carter's, so I tend to go for the Carters. I also have a pack of onesie extenders, though I've never used them.

Now if I want to show off cute diaper fluff, then I love t-shirts as they get older. Especially in the summer

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#10 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM

I always used onsies. And will again. We just use a larger size. Actually, the fluffy butt thing has never been an issue. I can't imagine my children's pants would have stayed up in disposable diapers.
#11 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM

I always loved onesies for one reason. You can pick up the baby without the tee shirt ending up in the armpits. Now that I'm knitting my own wool covers though...I want to show them off...

I've been hunting on Amazon.com and found a reasonably priced brand called lovable friends. The have tees, tanks, long sleeve, short etc in boy girl and neutral colors. They are super high quality, but about the same as Gerber or Carters you'd find in WalMart/Target. I still have some onesies because we are doing some disposables in the beginning and I have some Fuzzi Bunz we are going to use as well so there are times when I can just put on a onesie. It's super hot here so onesies or tee's are all we plan on using the first few months...well and some cute lightweight dresses since it IS our first girl

Hope that helps

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#12 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM

I use a serger to make all the onesies we get into T-shirts. I am thankfully much better at it then I was at first and they turn out very cute!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#13 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM

I cd'd my daughter, now 3 1/2, and used onesies with no problem. The only time I didn't like them was the brand new time when the umbilical cord stump was still there. We had a limited supply of tees that she wore when not bare-topped. When need be she'd just wear an unsnapped, rolled up onesie.

All of our babe clothes were hand me downs or gifts. I didn't buy anything, so I never chose. The tees were nice; I may buy a pack for this new babe, come to think of it, since we had so few last time.

It's such a brief time, though. Thereafter I loved onesies as they stayed on. The bubble butt is cute, even with the cover sticking out weirdly on both sides.

Best wishes!
#14 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 AM

Just use larger-size onesies or use the extenders for them to fit w/CDs. Worked great for us!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#15 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 AM

We had onesies for our son but rarely used them...greatly preferred tees/shirts and baby legs. Easier for changes and his woolies were so darling, we never would want to cover them up.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#16 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM

I hadn't known that extenders existed--just added some to my registry. Thanks, emnic!

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#17 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Oh, if anyone has a bunch of onsies they want turned into shirts just let me know when I get home in April. Happy to help and it is fairly fast to do and fast with the machine.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#18 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
Hmmm, you just gave me an idea to cut all my onesies to t-shirts and just sew a little hem on them. Thanks!
you don't even need to sew a hem, honestly. they roll up just a tiny bit and look cute -- they don't fray or anything.

we rarely used onesies with my cd/ec daughter -- we much preferred ts.

when wren was around 6 months the lovely kontessa (we are old nov07 ddc friends!) serged a bunch of her onesies into ts for us and that was wonderful too! kinda makes me want a serger.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#19 of 19 Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 PM

I say nay to onesies. I'm not a big fan of them anyway b/c sometimes it's so hard to snap those 3 little snaps and they look so awful undone. I think CDs and t-shirts are adorable. Babylegs for crawling and/or warmth.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page