Mothering Forum banner

what will you wear during labor?

4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  mamaspirit 
#1 ·
i know this sounds like a funny question, since sometimes you can't plan, but i'm curious!

last time i had plans to have a special cute top to wear during labor -- like a bathing suit top or something like that, because i was planning a (home) waterbirth. i thought it would be fun to have something special i could change into when i realized i was in labor. but because i had no idea how i would feel during labor i had no direction w/r/t what i would think was comfortable in terms of fabric, cut, flowy vs. tight, if i would just want to be naked etc. so i ended up just in this black cotton tank i had been wearing that day anyway.

this time i have more of a sense of what i would like so i'm thinking i might try to find a cute but still comfortable tank to wear. i don't know if it will happen because i have so much else to do, but i like to think about it! it'd be nice to have pictures this time in something besides a plain black tank top! heh.

any one else thinking about this?

#3 ·
I didn't give a thought to pics afterward because I knew my hair would be a nest from the humidity of the tub. I had a home waterbirth with DS and am planning another this time. With him I wore a very comfy sports bra (I don't think you could play any sport in it due to lack of support) and a brown swimsuit cover-up that could be either a dress or a skirt. I chose the cover-up because I figured it would dry quickly if I needed it to and it was presentable if I chose to go outside for a walk. I don't think I took it off until I got into the tub at 8 cm, but it's kind of hazy. I don't remember if wore underwear or not. After I got out of the tub, I traded for my holey old robe that apparently still has bloodstains, but I haven't even looked at it. I plan to wear the same things this time around.

The choice of labor wear probably depends on where you are giving birth, too. I can always just go change or strip if something is bothering me.

If you're not going to be in the water, maybe you can find a cute nursing tank? It seems like they're all solids, but surely there are some cute prints out there.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IAMommy View Post
I didn't give a thought to pics afterward because I knew my hair would be a nest from the humidity of the tub. I had a home waterbirth with DS and am planning another this time. With him I wore a very comfy sports bra (I don't think you could play any sport in it due to lack of support) and a brown swimsuit cover-up that could be either a dress or a skirt. I chose the cover-up because I figured it would dry quickly if I needed it to and it was presentable if I chose to go outside for a walk. I don't think I took it off until I got into the tub at 8 cm, but it's kind of hazy. I don't remember if wore underwear or not. After I got out of the tub, I traded for my holey old robe that apparently still has bloodstains, but I haven't even looked at it. I plan to wear the same things this time around.

The choice of labor wear probably depends on where you are giving birth, too. I can always just go change or strip if something is bothering me.

If you're not going to be in the water, maybe you can find a cute nursing tank? It seems like they're all solids, but surely there are some cute prints out there.
i changed my pants in labor like six or seven times before transition (at which point i kept them off entirely for the rest of labor) because labor started with my water breaking and i leaked for the next few hours. i think it was part of my restless active labor stage, the constant changing of the pants.
:

i do plan on being in the water again -- what i was saying was that last time i didn't know what would be comfortable in the water, whereas this time i know a clingy cotton tank is aok by me both in the tub and out. i don't recall thinking about my shirt once the whole time. so this time i was thinking i could get something cuter than just plain black...maybe something brighter. knowing me however i'll be in denial that i'm in labor until the very last minute and then won't be in a headspace to change anyway.

and YES! my hair was a RAT'S NEST last time between sweating, the tub, etc. i had a dred in the back of my nape that i didn't get out completely until like a month after she was born. i told my sisters that someone has to be on hair duty and braid my hair this time -- last time i progressed so fast and was so early none of them was home/could get back in time and i ended up putting my hair up in a messy bun *during transition* which was pretty much the worst idea ever. lol.

i always assumed i'd want to be naked during labor because so many other homebirthers i know wanted to be naked, but i didn't. i didn't NOT want to be naked but i didn't actively want to strip down completely either -- i just instinctively took my pants off during transition, weirdly enough, even though i didn't actually "know" how close i was to pushing (the m/w wasn't there yet).

#5 ·
I got a bathing suit top and a open bathing skirt that should fit for a water birth. They don't match.... but thats not the important part. Last time I just did a cami and nothing else. This time I want bottoms of some kind though I might change my mind.

What I am thinking more about is my hair, it kept looking falling into the water and it is so long and was not pretty. Wish I could french braid it myself or knew someone local who would come do it when labor starts. LOL

#6 ·
That's a good idea - like a tankini top? Cute and water friendly.

Brooklyn_Warbler - it's cool that you can wear a tank in the water - I would be driven nuts by the clinginess. I guess if it's tight enough you probably don't notice, though. Glamourmom has a couple of bright tanks http://www.glamourmom.com/store/shop...tanks_and_tops, but most of them are pretty neutral. There are some really cute ones on this site http://www.mommygear.com/tanksandcamis.htm - I might need one!

Hair - argh. I have naturally curly hair that I flat iron. I'm going to try braiding it, but I doubt there is any help for it.

#7 ·
I'm planning on wearing nothing. DH and I usually hang out around the house in as little as possible when it's just the two of us on a regular basis and I figure I'll probably hate the constrictive nature of clothing even worse during labor.

#8 ·
I showered as part of my early labor. (home birth here too) and did my hair in two braids, one down each side (it's very very thick) before things got too intense. It wasn't gorgeous but easy to unbraid and make cute afterwards.

I didn't plan on a shirt-didn't think about clothing because I knew it would be a private ordeal. Never thought about the fact that there would be pictures in the tub...my only experience was hospital births and pics of naked baby in a bassinet, not on naked mama. Therefore I was totally nude and bummed that none of my pics were "sharable"

And now that I have done a home birth and it's known I'm doing another...I'm on the horizon as far as curiosity from outsiders goes (friends on facebook and family we didn't let in on it cause we didn't want opinions) I'd love to be able to share some blissful fresh born pics without giant dark red nipples in the action
I think it will speak a lot to "the cause" as well as satisfy the baby hunger (and hopefully stave off some visitors in the early days
)

So far, my plan is to wear my nursing tank. I still wear them from DS birth in May of 08 as he still nurses and they are fairly supportive and comfy. That way the boobies are also easily accessible if baby girl wants to root around while still in the tub with me too. I'd love to wear a swim suit top, but it would require extra money to buy and I can't justify it as I likely wouldn't wear it again.

Am definitely interested in others ideas though...pics and links would be sweet!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispie View Post
'm on the horizon as far as curiosity from outsiders goes (friends on facebook and family we didn't let in on it cause we didn't want opinions) I'd love to be able to share some blissful fresh born pics without giant dark red nipples in the action
I think it will speak a lot to "the cause" as well as satisfy the baby hunger (and hopefully stave off some visitors in the early days
)
Ditto this. I want to be able to share the pictures, so I'm trying to NOT be bareassed naked like I was for DS's birth (this is the most modest shot I got).
I've got a bikini top I just plan on wearing that. I know a tank top or tankini would drive me crazy and I'll end up naked. Most waterbirth pictures I have seen you can't see much under the water, so I'm hoping that will be the case...I have a sarong I'll use for in case I want to get out and do anything.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
Ditto this. I want to be able to share the pictures, so I'm trying to NOT be bareassed naked like I was for DS's birth (this is the most modest shot I got).
I've got a bikini top I just plan on wearing that. I know a tank top or tankini would drive me crazy and I'll end up naked. Most waterbirth pictures I have seen you can't see much under the water, so I'm hoping that will be the case...I have a sarong I'll use for in case I want to get out and do anything.
i would like to wear a bikini top but all of mine are halters and if there is one thing i know i do NOT want, it's a halter. i keep looking for cute bikini tops online but am only finding halters too! blargh.

and i can vouch for not being able to see much under the water...all of my pictures from when i was in the tub were totally share-able.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyn_warbler View Post
i would like to wear a bikini top but all of mine are halters and if there is one thing i know i do NOT want, it's a halter. i keep looking for cute bikini tops online but am only finding halters too! blargh.

and i can vouch for not being able to see much under the water...all of my pictures from when i was in the tub were totally share-able.
Good, I'm glad my hunch was right about the underwater cover-up!

You know, good point...mine ties around the neck and now that I'm thinking about it...I might want to search for something else.

#13 ·
Quote:

has anyone used one of these:
Binsi
?
Those look great! But the price makes me shy. I bought some cheap flimsy sports bra's at WalMart years ago that have been awesome for coverage and minimal support...but they are white.

I sure wish I could find some simple basic sport bras for...larger mama's. I'd love a Binsi, but I think I would want more than one considering I'll be in and out of water, and would want some sort of support for after....holy cow that'd be expensive though!

I'm too leary about a plain black tank, they get loose when wet...water + nipples =
unless it's got slight padding/firmness to it if that makes sense. I don't mind a little pokeys under the shirt, but ya know that whole lycra/water/nipple thing

Man, now I need to rack my brain and figure this out. Adding it to the list lol

#14 ·
My SIL wore a one piece cotton stretch thing that was like a halter tank on top and a skirt on bottom. I think it was actually a bathing suit cover up. She loved it.

I think I'll actually have a few sports bras and tight-ish tanks ready. Then some loose pj pants for if I feel like it and a short bathing suit cover up that wraps around. Both work well with no undies and cover everything if I want to walk around outside. I'm labouring and hopefully birthing at my Aunt's house and she's in a subdivision. We're used to no neighbors in sight at home so I feel I have to be a bit modest.

#15 ·
Hmmm...yes, I have been thinking about this. I was hoping to be comfortable and warm enough at the Birth Center to go starkers
, since last time in the hosp I was so constricted by clothing and wires. I was not able to get DS skin to skin when he first came out because I couldn't manage to lift my (horrible giant black) t shirt. It made me sad.

I do want to have alternatives on hand though. I was thinking about the Binsi, but had no idea how expensive they are! I have a couple of stretchy nursing sleep bras that would be good on top.

Emnic, that photo is so beautiful!

#16 ·
Quote:

Binsi
?
I really wanted one for my previous birth but was put off by the price. So I was super excited to score one from a mama who just gave birth! Though honestly, I don't think it's a necessity at all. Seems that a swim skirt would serve the same purpose. But I'll try it because I have it and pass it on when I'm done.

For my top, I'll probably wear a bikini top. I was naked for the last birth, but i'd also like to be able to share pix of my homebirth & feel a modicum of modesty is necessary.

#17 ·
Quote:

Binsi
?
I have the basic binsi skirt and the go-go top. The Binsi was a blessingway gift and the beads on it were part of that. The go-go top I bought for myself for laboring in the water (I didn't wear the skirt in the water!). I liked having a dark top on, and the side snaps made it super easy to rip off when I was ready to nurse. I didn't care about being naked on the bottom, but liked having a little top support/modesty both in the tub and out (I got out to birth last time).

This time I'm planning a home water birth, so I'll wear the go-go top again, and maybe the skirt and a loose t-shirt over it if I need to walk around for a while before I get into the water.

#18 ·
You all are much more prepared (and much less modest) than I am. I'm planning a birth at a birth center, and while I hear the all modesty goes out the window the farther you get into labor, I'm just not convinced that I'm going to want to run around bare for all to see. I'm hoping for a water birth, so I was going to get a couple of cheap sports bras at Walmart or Target, and then a packet of men's XXL t's (dark color from what I'm reading) to wear as I'm in early labor & walking around. I figure that this would be comfy and easy to get off if that urge should occur.

I will probably bring some kind of nursing top for after the birth. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm totally clueless on what to expect through all of this

#19 ·
I was not modest in my birthings but my Cami top last night was never even a thought never mind something that bothered me. Alas, like others though I have pictures I just can not share. You think the water would obscure things but for me just not enough to share the picks. Plus I birthed on all 4s and my butt out of the water and goodness those pictures are not public friendly. A swim skirt would have helped I think. LOL

#20 ·
I wore DH's old, gray, paint-splattered tee shirt last time. It was what I was wearing when we got to the hospital and I was in no mood to change clothes (8cm when we got there).

This time around I'm hoping for a water birth (also in the same hospital) and I plan to wear a black tank top. It will be easy-access for nursing and skin-to-skin, plus it won't turn see-through when it gets wet.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by feminist~mama View Post
I'm hospital birthing and bought this to wear. It's actually a bit more low-cut than I'd expected, but otherwise will do nicely I think. I just can't see wearing a hospital gown... It always surprises me how many people do!
It's so funny...I delivered in the hospital last time and I brought a couple super cool (similar to your) things to wear for birth. And ironically, I ended up wanting nothing than the huge, well-ventilated, super comfy hospital gown, lol. I did wear a comfy sports bra under it.

In my hospital birthing center they have whirlpool tubs in each birthing suite. Last time my water broke one day, a day later no labor, GBS+, etc. So I ended up with a bit o pit the next day and didn't make it into the tub.

This time I am delivering at the same place and hope to be in the tub much of the time. I have no real aversion to the hospital gown, and with as messy as things were last time, prefer getting thier stuff messy vs mine, lol. I am thinking I will go with my same type of sports bra, which I like because I can extact a breast out of the top easier than I can work a nursing bra clasp, hehe. I am not really sure about the bottom. My labors are easy and long from about 0-4cm..like most of a day. Then 3-10cm happens in 2-3hrs or less and involves puking and shaking. I m hoping to hit the hospital on the cusp of the two. My gut tells me that I will be uncomfy enough that I wont care if I have anything on the bottom.

I will bring something to toss on after...tank dress or jama pants and/or a sports bra or cami with built in bra.

#23 ·
I wear an old night shirt, it was a gift from my husband for our first Christmas. It has Tigger on it says "more bounce per ounce" or something horrible LOL

It usually doesn't make it very long before I'm naked anyway. But it's kinda tradition now cuz I've worn it for every labor.

#24 ·
I am planing to do labor as long at home as I can. I am thinking I will wear pj pants and lose shrit, and get my hair up. once at the hospital I am going for a hospital gown during birthing time, and soon there after a nursing pj set that I have bought. I ended up with DS the first time around. I igure much the same thing will happen this time. We will see. I am just going to go with whatever I want at that point most likely.

#25 ·
oh fun topic!

I am having a planned home water birth - so I had intended on wearing a top that works for in and out of water. I just want something that will cover boobs for all the photos so they are shareable images.

I had planned on getting something like this:
http://store.americanapparel.ca/rsa8341.html?cid=219

just a plain strapless bra top that wont annoy me and I can pull down to place baby breast when ready.

I also plan to just have a pretty sarong to wrap around me if I feel the need to get up and walk around outside in the backyard, or whatnot.

and for hair: I am hoping my sister in-law who will be present gets there early enough to french braid my long hair so it stays out of the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.