Cloth diaper mamas, help me fill out my stash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been piece-mealing newborn and small diapers together because I didn't start DS in cloth until he was about 6 months old.
I haven't actually inventoried what I have until today, because I know I need to fill out the holes in my stash - I know I don't have enough, need to know where I need to bulk up.
Here's what I have for newborn and small sizes:

2 pockets
2 nb fitted
6 prefolds (I know I need more of these especially, how many is good for a newborn? I can do laundry every day, but wouldn't mind stretching it to every other day.)
5 AIO
4 PUL covers
3 doublers
4 wool covers

Tell me what to buy
ETA: I do tend to prefer prefolds over anything, but since I haven't cloth diapered a newbie, I'm not sure if I will prefer AIOs or pockets for a tinier babe. DS was 7lbs7oz, I'm expecting this one will be in that range (unlike my 10lb+ godzilla daughter ) if that matters. So if anyone out there prefers prefolds generally but finds something else better for newborns, let me know.
Also, I have disposable liners for meconium.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 PM

I have a small pack of nature baby sposies to get us past meconium, then 3 dozen prefolds and knit covers as our work horse stash. That should be plenty to let me skip a day in between washes. Don't think I want to go that much longer since most NB's poop every diaper (or close to) I also have 18 One size FuzziBunz for back up, but man they are bulky on a newb. Probably save those for outings, or for a break from snappies and pulling on knit pants...

My advice is that it would be cheapest and probably best fitting to get some newborn or small size prefolds in that stash. I'd aim for about 2 doz total prefolds and then everything else as "back up" or extras to give you a day between washing. I like that extra day between, in case we are dealing with bleeding or colic or whatever, we can put off the washing one more day. We bought GMD's yellow edge. (small) I didn't go newborn, cause my smallest baby was 8lbs 1oz. 9lbs is normal for me. And we figure even if she comes out teeny tiny, we can just fold the edge over for a month or so til they fit better. Can always run up and get a pack of eco friendly diapers from the health food store if need be, but I think we are more than well set with our fluffy stash.

Isn't it fun I heart cloth!

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea, to keep the aio and pockets for "in between"...like I said, I definitely prefer prefolds and a cover over anything else, so this makes sense for us.
I'm also curious about the sizing...do you think I would be better off getting maybe a dozen or so newborn prefolds, and then bulking up (a couple dozen) on small prefolds? the rise is what i'm worried about with the newborn sized pfs since DS was so long and skinny (both my kids were pushing 2 feet long at birth).
Thoughts?

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
That's a great idea, to keep the aio and pockets for "in between"...like I said, I definitely prefer prefolds and a cover over anything else, so this makes sense for us.
I'm also curious about the sizing...do you think I would be better off getting maybe a dozen or so newborn prefolds, and then bulking up (a couple dozen) on small prefolds? the rise is what i'm worried about with the newborn sized pfs since DS was so long and skinny (both my kids were pushing 2 feet long at birth).
Thoughts?
If you can swing it, I'd say yeah, only because the smaller ones (NB) are awesome for burp rags or extra night time absorbency later on. (pin them to a shirt for a bib when you start table foods) So many uses, I don't think I have ever had too many prefolds...they make great paper towels...and when we were 6 years between babies and thought we were done, DH was using the old ones as car wash rags. They'll never go to waste

Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

I just made a bunch of flats (I got diapering material from the fabric store and sewed up the edges). To get prefolds here where I live seem to be so much more $$ than in the US so I went with the cheaper route. My mom showed me the NB fold and showed me how to put a doubler in (into one of the folds). I figure they'll be good as back up diapers even for larger sizes (I have used fitteds and baby kanga pockets for larger sizes). I also have 3 wool covers in the NB size. My friend said that should be enough. I think a friend of DH's is going to give us some more NB fitted cloth diapers (bought from a diaper service) and covers but I have yet to see them. I am hoping the flats work well!!!

Mom to Isaac Arthur (May 7, 2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May-Baby View Post
I just made a bunch of flats (I got diapering material from the fabric store and sewed up the edges). To get prefolds here where I live seem to be so much more $$ than in the US so I went with the cheaper route. My mom showed me the NB fold and showed me how to put a doubler in (into one of the folds). I figure they'll be good as back up diapers even for larger sizes (I have used fitteds and baby kanga pockets for larger sizes). I also have 3 wool covers in the NB size. My friend said that should be enough. I think a friend of DH's is going to give us some more NB fitted cloth diapers (bought from a diaper service) and covers but I have yet to see them. I am hoping the flats work well!!!
I gotta link you to www.diaperswappers.com They have flats, fitteds, and prefolds all used for sale, and you can find steals on there! Most the mama's are pretty good too if you ask for a couple bucks off, or to split shipping to Canada! You may wanna check em out if you haven't already! I, personally over knit myself and am selling my extra knit soakers/pants/shorties...brand new...so it's a good spot to sell your used diapers/new hand made stuff too! They have forums for used clothes and pretty much anything you can think of baby related. Perhaps you can find some cheapies on there to help fluff your stash!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM

good little mix you have going!

I would get more prefolds and a set of like 6 or 7 stay dry hemp doublers from GMD. I didn't discover the wonder that is the stay dry hemp doubler until my son was 3 months old. I wish I had these from the start b/c he hated feeling wet and would cry miserably whenever he peed which was all the time.
When we got the stay dry hemp doublers, he slept more and longer and obviously felt better.

We did a diaper service our first 4 months but then got a set of 24 red edge GMD prefolds which lasted us a good long time.
In the beginning, I do remember him needing 12-14 changes a day at the height of it. So I would stock up a bit.
We had 3 fitteds (Kissaluvs) in NB size just for something different.
We also did wool only and had 6 newborn covers which was perfect for us. We washed them with Eucalan Ecalyptus wash (smells yummy).

Good luck...you have a really good mix I think.
And I second the love for Diaper Swappers... I have gotten many a diaper or wool cover on there for peanuts.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Love prefolds for newborns I also relied heavily on Kissaluvs which were super.

We also used seventh generation newborns until DD was past the meconium stage.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I'm not as bad off as I thought...I knew I needed more prefolds, and it seems like if I make a few more soakers (which are easily a one day project) we should be all set. We have a diaper store nearby we'll be hitting up next weekend to get some prefolds, and then I guess I'm set! And of course, whatever I can still scrounge from the local consignment store. People bring in brand new with tags diapers all the time, it's amazing! I'm addicted. Which is why I avoid diaperswappers because that could be dangerous for me.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:55 PM

My wallet is not safe around diapers, either! I love them

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 AM

I like to have at least 2 dozen prefolds for newborns, and than a dozen or so fitteds. 6 - 10 covers should do the trick also...

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)

User Tag List