Detergent for Baby Clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When getting ready for DS (8 years ago!) I used Dreft on all his baby clothes. But then I was also washing our stuff in Tide. Now I use Ecover. What is a good, mild, hypo-allergenic, non-toxic baby clothes wash?

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 AM

I found this site when figuring out which detergent was safe for my cloth diapers. I think it is pretty helpful!

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
#3 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 AM

not in your ddc, but we use the trader joe's powder detergent for both diapers & clothes and it works really well...no signs of any sensitivities to it, either. plus, it's not very expensive!

baby arlo is now earthside! 11.23.2009
#4 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM

I just bought a bottle of 7th Generation Baby detergent yesterday, but I haven't tried it out yet (nor do I have an earthside baby to try it out on). I've been wanting to buy things for Bagel lately but have been trying to hold off until after my shower, so getting detergent seemed "safe".

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#5 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 PM

I picked up Claudia's detergent and have started using it even on our regular clothes. I quite like it and you don't have to use much (I actually use half of what is recommended and think that is fine). I am REALLY, REALLY sensitive to laundry detergents and I can use this one, so it's a good sign! A couple of my friends also use it and really like it.

Mom to Isaac Arthur (May 7, 2010)
#6 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 PM

i use the planet powder on all our clothes and our cloth dipes and love it. no problems at all.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#7 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM

My favorite is Country Save Powdered. We have skin sensitivity issues and eczema in our family, and this one has worked well for me for dipes and clothes. You'll probably find an array of opinions because the machine and the hardness/softness of your water makes a difference.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#8 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 PM

We use Trader Joe's brand also. My 22 month old has sensitive skin and it doesn't bother him at all.

My SIL also makes a really good homemade detergent that she sells online, super cheap too. I just got my first supply, and will wash baby clothes in it.
http://naturallyhomemade.blogspot.com/

Proud Mama to my boys Noah and Elijah, my angel baby, and baby girl due May 7th, 2010.
#9 of 15 Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 AM

We use all free & clear (liquid) for all of family laundry, so that's convenient. We were a Tide family because it's what I grew up with and we all have very sensitive skin, but the switch to All has been great. It's cheaper than Tide, available pretty much anywhere (so you can buy bulk with coupons and save even more), and works well, though we find it doesn't protect colors the way Tide did (though for white prefolds and covers, that's fine by me)! We used it for a solid 2.5 years on our dipes with zero problems whatsoever. The only time we had to strip was following rotavirus (and anyone who's smelled that knows that we can't put all the blame on the detergent there)!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#10 of 15 Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsang View Post
not in your ddc, but we use the trader joe's powder detergent for both diapers & clothes and it works really well...no signs of any sensitivities to it, either. plus, it's not very expensive!
i use TJ's brand too.
#11 of 15 Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM

We make our own detergent out of shredded Dr. Bronner's bar soap, borax, and washing soda.... the bean's clothes got washed in that stuff (finally got that done yesterday!) Dipes got prepped and will continue to be washed in Seventh Generation delicates detergent.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#12 of 15 Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Hi i too use Trader Joe's brand, it was perfect detergant for baby clothes. Nice sharing with all. Well its really very great to have online shopping for kids too.
#13 of 15 Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM

DDCC.

I'm cloth diapering with my new babe and bought a stash of Bum Genius diapers from clothbabies.com. They also sold a bum genius powdered detergent, which I bought and have been using on my babers diapers & clothes. No problems whatsoever.
#14 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM

we also use TJ's detergent for clothes and CDs.
#15 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
We make our own detergent out of shredded Dr. Bronner's bar soap, borax, and washing soda.... the bean's clothes got washed in that stuff (finally got that done yesterday!) Dipes got prepped and will continue to be washed in Seventh Generation delicates detergent.
I love how once the dipes actually got onto the kiddo my perfect little plan went out the window We had stink issues with our prefolds and it turns out we have hard water issues... we now wash all clothes and dipes in Rockin Green Hard Rock.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page