How many cloth diapers do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Normally I end up with too many for newborn and small as I collect for months. With this baby we had sold our others not expecting another baby so soon. Also will be making the stash myself for the first time. How many should I be making? Help!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm a first-timer so I think you know lots more about this stuff than me, but I have (to start) the contents of a Bummis Diaper Kit (24 prefolds and 6 covers) and 6 BumGenius.

I'm holding off on buying more of anything until I see that I can manage with cloth and that babe doesn't have a reaction or anything...

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 PM

I just ordered some diapers last night, so I know exactly how many newborn sizes I have!

DH and I decided on -- 22 newborn prefolds (I had 10 leftover from DS and ordered another dozen) and 12 x-small covers.

With DS I felt that I was constantly running out of covers because the runny BF poop would get on them. So we thought 12 would do it. I anticipate doing laundry every other day or so. And we are not opposed to using some disposables, so it might seem like a small newborn stash. I just didn't want to spend a ton of money when they are only going to be used for a couple of months.

As for smalls, I borrowed my friend's fuzzi bunz stash and I actually have no idea how many I have. I have a few other smalls of my own, so I'm pretty sure I have enough, but will have to reevaluate as the baby gets bigger.

2.2006 * DS 12.24.2006 * Newbie due 5.19.2010 * planning our first
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM

With DD I found I needed less then what I usually saw recommended. I think I had about 8 covers that I actually used. I had 9 or 10 fitted, and about 24 prefolds. I liked to do laundry every day or every other. I also let DD have a lot of bare-bum time which I think helped save covers. We also rarely used cloth at night as it always seemed to give DD a rash.

The only time I went through a high volume was the first week (or two?) when DD was a pooping machine. I remember one day she pooed 12 times!! But shortly there after the amount of diapers I needed went down.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM

I do pockets and AIO's. I really want to CD from birth (bringing them to the hospital), so I stocked up on 2 different sizes just to be sure I'd get a decent fit. Also, I really hope to go 3 days between washes... My stash consists of the following:

X-Small/Newborn:
20 FB's
5 Happy Heinys
10 Monkey Doodlez AIO's

Small:
20 FB's
10 Monkey Doodlez AIO's
6 Kushies AIO's (bought used)

Plus various inserts, wetbags and such.

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM

with wren we had 28 kl0s and 5 pul covers and it was more than enough. we could do laundry every other day no problem (and often could have gone longer). this time i have the same 28 kl0s and 9 wool covers of various kinds (shorties, longies, and soakers) plus the pul covers just in case.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM

I have:
11 prefolds
8 prefitteds
2 fitteds
3 covers (when we had DD she mainly hung out coverless at home so I didn't buy many)
5 pockets
2 AIOs
12 disposable Flip inserts (for going out?)

We typically use disposables when out for the first few months, so hopefully by then we'll be into my medium stash, which is much bigger. I didn't want to build a big newborn/small stash since my DD only wore them for ~2-3 months.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking 20 fitted/AIOs and 5 wool soakers. As wool soakers are washed as soon as they are dirty by hand and then left to dry I think it might work... maybe?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM

I just bought 18 Bummis prefolds in the newborn size and 6 size zero Kissaluvs. I still need to get covers.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We're doing flats and covers.

So far we have 24 cotton flats (going to get 12 more).

I have ordered 3 Bummis SWW covers, 2NB and 1small, and we are planning to buy some Thirsties covers ?4. We're also going to try some Flips, maybe for nights etc so probably 4 of those too. Once we decide which covers we like we will order the bigger sizes.

We're hoping to use disposables for travel only so haven't bought any of those as she will be bigger by the time we go away for the first time. However there was one as a sample in a baby expo showbag we were given so I will throw that in the nappy bag for emergencies.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM

We have two dozen newborn prefolds, two dozen small prefolds, and a dozen preemie prefolds (to use as mama cloth PP and then as doublers.) We figure we'll get bigger sized prefolds or go with more AIOs and pockets when the kiddo gets bigger depending on what works best for us.... For covers and other stuff: we've got one newborn Prowrap cover, and two or three Thirsties Duo and Bummis super brite covers in the two smaller sizes.... three OS Mommy's Touch covers and two pocket dipes (one small and one medium... not sure on the brand though.)

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM

uhoh, reading all of this makes me think I've wayy underestimated the # of diapers necessary. so far I have:
-10 xs fuzzibunz
-3 flip covers and inserts
-2 small bumgenius
-2 one size bumgenius
-1 medium bumgenius

How many more flip inserts and/or other types of diapers do i probably need? I'm not going the prefold route as of now..

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM

I wash every other day.

3 dozen prefolds and 5 knit covers

I also have 18 one size Fuzzi Bunz left over as back up. But I'm not crazy about all the stuffing and adjusting nor the way a one size fits a newb, so they are literally "back up" ...we should be just about right with our prefolds and covers.

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.

User Tag List