? for mama's who hike with baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you need a backpack/frame type carrier to comfortably hike or camp with older babe? I am planning on getting a beco carrier-but there's no storage at all on it and it's cotton. also-I love the idea of camping with baby! Anyone done successful overnight camping?

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM

No camping here, but for hikes, I enjoy the Ergo.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

ergo is appealing because it has more storage and accessories-i'm not sure if it would fit be comfortably-I'm 4'11"

Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Not a huge hiker, but we took an Ergo, Ergo backpack (attached to the carrier, though sometimes carried seperately by whichever on one of us wasn't carrying DD), all around Thailand when my oldest DD was 2, and it worked beautifully.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 AM

We are big Ergo fans, too. I will say that if your partner is at all broad shouldered, broad chested (or if you are for that matter ) consider getting the newer "sport edition." The original one cramped DH a bit but the newer model is perfect.

We did just buy a framed backpack carrier for DD, though, for hiking and DD loves it. She sings and hums and giggles in it. It's very comfortable to wear her in it, too.

I don't know the exact brand (will find out for you and report back) but we got it off of steepandcheap.com for a great price.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 AM

We go on hikes and also have done overnight camping with our son who is now 17 months old. He was 6 months old the first time we took him to Yosemite.
We have never done anything beyond a few miles with him but we always use a woven wrap.
In Yosemite, b/c it was so cold, we used a cashmere blend Didy and hiked a waterfall with him. He loved it.
Here at home (we are in the Angeles National Forest foothills right by trails) we use usually a linen blend Didy or the color grown waves cotton Didy.
Very comfy for my DH (since I am pregnant, he does the carrying on hikes) and for our son.
We did borrow a BOB last year up for Yosemite but it was an older model and kinda felt boxy and too big. We preferred the wraps.
We have for our son a travel tent called a PeaPod. It folds completely flat and is light to carry but has an air mattress and is a little mini tent. He slept in it inside our tent when he was small. It was nice and cozy for him with a sheepskin down on it plus a few wool blankets and me snuggled up beside him.
Now even a year later, he loves his Peapod and we keep it up in the living room where he stacks his waldorf dolls inside and plays in there.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemama17 View Post
Did you need a backpack/frame type carrier to comfortably hike or camp with older babe? I am planning on getting a beco carrier-but there's no storage at all on it and it's cotton. also-I love the idea of camping with baby! Anyone done successful overnight camping?
We did a fair bit of camping with our first baby, up until they want to walk it’s not that complicated. We even did cold (snow, November) weather overnights - I wore her in the Ergo under a parka of my husband’s so she was warm and she slept inbetween us in our 2-man Big Agnes sleeping bag. Cloth diapering worked out well - we draped wets over a tree until they dried out (or froze, in the early part of the day) so they were light to carry. Once she got old enough to want to walk it got a little frustrating for us - half the walking time needs to be at her pace, and there's a lot of her wanting to get up and down, which dramatically changes trip planning. She could nurse/nap in the Ergo in a front carry quite well while we continued to walk. We’re not going to do any more cold weather hiking until she’s got more thermal mass, now that she prefers to walk. She loved being in the tent and playing with the leaves and whatnot. I don’t know if it’ll be possible with two. My husband carried the tent, the food, all of the gear for all three of us, which worked because we love our ultralight hiking gear. But with two babes in need of carrying it might be too much to do longer overnights like that. The toddler can do about two miles before we have to stop for a meal and some kind of quiet, restorative play.

For dayhikes, just a few miles up or down, we used ring slings, woven wraps, any child carrier. Just make sure that whoever's not carrying the child is carrying about 2 times as much water as you think you'll need! You don't want to so much think about carrying much extra weight in addition to the baby - if the baby is still light, you're still recovering (your ankles and hips stay loose after the birthing for a while, so take it easy!), and you'll also be nursing while you walk, etc., and then the baby gets heavier quickly. So plan for one person to carry the baby plus their own water and a tiny snack, and the other adults carry everything else.

Before our daughter was born we scored a Kelty frame pack child carrier at a tag sale, thinking it would be necessary, but we've never actually taken it on a trip. From short walks around the neighborhood we've learned that the Ergo or a Mei Tai are both plenty supportive for long walks, and thus the frame pack is unnecessary weight and bulk. In cold weather hiking, having the baby that far from you is a definite negative, as well.

The one accessory a frame pack might have that we couldn't recreate with the Ergo would be a sunshade for exposed hot weather hiking - some frame packs have very nice sunshades on them. We bought an enormous sunhat for her that shades her whole body but I would worry about little hands and feet sticking out when I couldn't see, if we were hiking in full sun for any length of time.

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback so far-yay for camping/hiking with baby! I had been thinking a frame pack would be necessary because I would have to carry gear too which isn't possible in a beco but it's sounding like it's perhaps better to make the other adult on the trip carry all the gear!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Here's what we found on steepandcheap:

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/vaude-jollylight.html

The only quirk is that baby sits high enough that she can use your head as a handlebar OR smack you repeatedly in the head as she takes in the great outdoors

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
We have for our son a travel tent called a PeaPod. It folds completely flat and is light to carry but has an air mattress and is a little mini tent. He slept in it inside our tent when he was small. It was nice and cozy for him with a sheepskin down on it plus a few wool blankets and me snuggled up beside him.
Now even a year later, he loves his Peapod and we keep it up in the living room where he stacks his waldorf dolls inside and plays in there.
OOOHHHH!! We got the PeaPod Plus for my 3yo DD and she LOVES it! I LOVE LOVE LOVE how small it folds up so we can take it anywhere and it's her bed that she's familiar with.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    

User Tag List