If you had 1,000$ to spend on baby items - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you get?? My mom is sending me 500 bucks and I just decided we would spend 500 bucks as well. We also aren't having a baby shower. We hardly have anything for this baby. We do have clothes, blankets, 6 wool diaper covers in size small, some glass bottles, a flip video recorder, a bassinet that was given to us that's quite old...I think that's it. I will be breastfeeding and we do travel, so bulky items such as dressers, cribs aren't going to be useful. We will soon be living in an area where we can walk to everything. I would like to get the groceries with the baby (without a car) and work out, but I'm not much of a jogger (stroller?).
Things I am looking at are:
cosleeper (arms reach?)

2 dozen prefolds in size small (i would like to buy the other sizes later, because i want to make sure they work for us first)

an ergo/maya wrap

a diaper bag

a medela harmony for road trips or daddy feedings

a carseat of course

a small baby bath tub or mesh seat thingy

possibly a stroller with bassinet attatchment (looking into an easy walker or quinny buzz 3)

...and a small swing (something while i shower or make dinner)
i also need nursing bras, pads, some burts bees baby items, ect...but those I figure i can pick up little by little.

what would you buy if you had 1000 bucks and didn't have much for the baby to begin with? Feel free to critique my items as well!!

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#2 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm a first time mama so all of my answers are somewhat hypothetical but I did nanny for an infant full-time so was able to feel out gear preferences:

Around here in the winter a jogging stroller is necessary due to snow etc. I was content carrying her up until a year but it was heavenly to be able to push her around after a year-helped me be in excellent shape and I think she enjoyed it. I purchased a Baby Jogger City Classic. I also liked having an umbrella stroller for her past 1 year.
-The Beco carrier fit me better than the Ergo.
-I'm starting with a baby bouncer instead of a swing
-Skipping baby bathtub-bought a $5 sponge insert for sink/bucket
-We're doing a pack and play instead of co sleeper-I feel like it will work just as well. We also got organic mattress pad from Naturepedic. I like Aden and Anais receiving blankets, multipurpose, Target sells a brand of them.
-Skipping the infant carseat and getting the True Fit Premier.
-wet bags/pail liners?
-Nice silk/wool nursing pads?
-A booster seat like Fisher Price healthy choice for later?
-I love bumkins bibs for babies eating solid foods
-Robeez type shoes stay on little feet well.

well, have fun!!

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

#3 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM

DDCC

If I had $1000 to spend, I'd get as much as possible cheap off craigslist, buy the dipes new (especially if planning to have another kid) and start a college fund with the rest of the money.

I think the most important thing you'll want to get (and again, you can probably find it on craigslist) is a sturdy stroller with a good-sized basket underneath. If you're going to be able to walk to shopping, that thing will be your best friend and serve you well. I carried the baby in the bjorn/backpack and walked everywhere with my stroller - library, grocery, park. They are great for hauling. And of course, you can always use it for its intended purpose when needed.
#4 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 04:18 PM

Ooooh, this is fun! Well, since we have most everything we need I would go BIG with two unreasonable splurges.

The Phil and Teds Sport Stroller with Doubles Kit in Apple.

AND

A beautiful apple green upholstered glider with ottoman! Those things are EXPENSIVE!

Oh, how I wish I had $1000 to play with...

BUT, since we are talking necessities I second the idea of cheap craigslist and consignment shopping for everything I *needed*. I would definitely go with the arms reach cosleeper (we have one and LOVE it!). It'd nice that it converts to a bassinet and play yard as well.

Have fun mama!

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#5 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM

I'd get a Kanoe baby hammock: http://www.kanoe.us/35.html

I've heard amazing things about them - but just can't stomach the price.

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#6 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM

DDCC

I'd recommend one of those bouncy chairs instead of a swing. Their cheaper, take up less space and I think babies like them better. The swings can trigger the moro reflex in little little ones. The seat has a vibrate setting which is much more soothing and imitates mothers womb.

If I had $1000 I'd get

-the seat mentioned above
-cloth diaper stash (only smalls which OP mentioned as well)
-Sit and stand stroler
-Baby wrap (no sling but haven't decided on which wrap I want yet)
-I second the foam bath insert instead of an actual baby bath.
-Car seat. I think we'll go with a convertable right away instead of a bucket.

Things I'd also consider:

-A glider rocking chair. I found out why these were so popular when I was nursing DD for the first few months. I had a lazy boy type chair to use instead at that time, but this time around I'm worried about where my designated nursing spot will be. It's so nice to have a rocker for sleep time and for my comfort. After all, I'll be nursing for 3 years so it'll get tons of use.
-Arms reach co sleeper, or a crib for naps. With DD I straight co slept and naps were tough. I don't think I'd use the arms reach at night, so maybe a crib would be the best buy.
-Stocking up on breast pads. I didn't stop leaking for over a year PP. I think this time I'll use cloth.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#7 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantlyfurious View Post
I'd get a Kanoe baby hammock: http://www.kanoe.us/35.html

I've heard amazing things about them - but just can't stomach the price.
i can't either plus we'll be renting and won't want to hang anything in the ceiling, but i have heard great things about them too!

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#8 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM

If I had $1000 to spend- I'd likely:

Buy a Bob- about $350 right now with an REI membership
The Kanoe- so spendy, but eh... $300
Diaper covers- $100
Arm's Reach- but I'd really look for this used!- $150

The last $100 would be for assorted accessories I guess! Gosh, that went fast!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#9 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminist~mama View Post
If I had $1000 to spend- I'd likely:

Buy a Bob- about $350 right now with an REI membership
The Kanoe- so spendy, but eh... $300
Diaper covers- $100
Arm's Reach- but I'd really look for this used!- $150

The last $100 would be for assorted accessories I guess! Gosh, that went fast!
it does go by fast! if i went for everything on my list it would have totalled over 1500.00, so i saved the stroller for later when baby is too heavy for the ergo. i am going with the bob too i think eventually, i have heard so many recommendations for it!
i am getting:
an arms reach
an ergo with heart2heart insert
a moby also
a carseat
15 one size diapers from baby kicks
35 bucks in long sleeved (non-onesie) tops
35 bucks in burts bees baby stuff
medela harmony breastpump
2 nursing bras from belabumbum
48 cloth baby wipes from a seller on etsy (1/2 for me, the other 1/2 for baby)

And that's 1,000 bucks! I also want the ergo backpack or changer for when we are out and about downtown where we will live; they have a lot of concerts downtown and such where we will want to spend time and i will need a place to put my money/extra blanket, diapers, ect.

#10 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 PM

A nice stroller
Radian car seat
newborn CD (i've got smalls and up)
an organic crib mattress
I'd stock up on safe and organic cleaning supplies and sun screen
(maybe some nursing bras and tanks for me!)

Whatever was left would go to a college fund :-D
#11 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Fancy stroller, probably the peg perego $300

Crib as a cosleeper - $100 I know you said you didn't want one, but I liked it as opposed to an arm's reach because they outgrow those so fast.

2 doz prefold diapers and a couple of snappis $50

Bouncy Seat or somewhere to put the baby - $10

A couple of carriers - $50 - $150, just depends on your needs and lifestyle

Ameda Purely Yours - $150. This was invaluable to me. Hand pumping was such a pain and very hard for me to get the hang of even for just the few bottles each dc had.

Bucket carseat - $75

Graco MyRide or Evenflo Triumph Advance - $150

That totals $885 - $985.
#12 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_paez View Post
What would you get?? My mom is sending me 500 bucks and I just decided we would spend 500 bucks as well. We also aren't having a baby shower. We hardly have anything for this baby. We do have clothes, blankets, 6 wool diaper covers in size small, some glass bottles, a flip video recorder, a bassinet that was given to us that's quite old...I think that's it. I will be breastfeeding and we do travel, so bulky items such as dressers, cribs aren't going to be useful. We will soon be living in an area where we can walk to everything. I would like to get the groceries with the baby (without a car) and work out, but I'm not much of a jogger (stroller?).
Things I am looking at are:
cosleeper (arms reach?)

2 dozen prefolds in size small (i would like to buy the other sizes later, because i want to make sure they work for us first)

an ergo/maya wrap

a diaper bag

a medela harmony for road trips or daddy feedings

a carseat of course

a small baby bath tub or mesh seat thingy

possibly a stroller with bassinet attatchment (looking into an easy walker or quinny buzz 3)

...and a small swing (something while i shower or make dinner)
i also need nursing bras, pads, some burts bees baby items, ect...but those I figure i can pick up little by little.

what would you buy if you had 1000 bucks and didn't have much for the baby to begin with? Feel free to critique my items as well!!

Okay, here's my critique: Skip the co-sleeper. They usually end up holding unfolded laundry If you find that bassinet truly hangs out bedside and you truly use it as a co-sleeper then consider investing, but honestly, they are not much different than a playpen with bassinet attachment (which costs half the price)...sure playpen sides don't drop down like a co-sleeper, but then I have yet to manage to get a co-sleeper exactly level with my bed anyway, and my older son's playpen only leaves a two inch rail to lift baby over...same thing I have to lift over with the co-sleeper so that's my two cents on that! Besides, after sitting there for 30 minutes nursing and nursing in the middle of the night, it's almost impossible not to slowly skootch my way down in my own bed, baby in arms and do what comes naturally, build a little nest around us and doze off while nursing...

Definitely go for the prefolds...go to diaperswappers, or craigslist or somewhere to get some good quality used ones, if you are just trying them out. Save some money for when you decide.

Get a wrap. Get a couple kinds of wraps. Sometimes babies are "wrap picky"

I have better luck with buying backpacks for diaper bags than I do with diaper bags. Skip the frilly cute stuff, I want something that's going to last me dragging it all over town and hold everything. I don't want an oversized shoulder purse. Seriously, do yourself a favor and check out a good backpack first! Especially if you will be stuffing a stroller with groceries, how nice to just put the bag on your back...and usually they are WAY better priced for a good one.

I'm very biased on breast pumps, and I love my cheapo avent manual pump for occasional feedings. I just never honestly needed the pricier stuff. But I'm biased, and it's just my opinion. If you know you like the pump you listed go for it.

Car seat of course is priority.

I say skip the "bath" products. They are never what they seem. I have yet in almost five kids and countless nieces, nephews and daycare kids to find a tub that is worth ten cents. A towel folded in the bathtub does the same for me. Or...just shower or bathe with baby if possible. My kitchen sink works awesome for a more enclosed space the first few months, and really, a sponge bath does the trick until they get rolling and playing, sweaty and dirty.

I have an old hand me down swing but I rarely use it. I prefer to cook/clean with baby in sling. For showers I use a moses basket. In fact, I use the moses basket for everything! It keeps baby as close as I want if baby is not in sling with me. But I'm one of those moms that likes her babies very close for quite a while. I'm not one to put babe in swing and even walk out of the room.

If I had 1k, I would do as said above and try my damnedest to sit on my hands and the rest of the cash. It would be sweet to have a little stash for other stuff that comes up...ie: a good first pair of stride right walking shoes around one year old...or a wardrobe beyond the baby days...extra cloth diapers etc. Perhaps even a couple good nursing bras as your boobs get into the groove a few months down the road. As much as we want to prep in advance and then just use all our goodies and not worry about shopping for a year...stuff comes up. I would try and stash half of it, and use the rest. You can always make a trip to the store to go swing shopping or bouncy seat shopping or co sleeper etc. Besides then you'll have babe in arms to see what he/she will like!

That's my frugal ten cents worth of opinion! But for sure, you gotta splurge on just one thing Have fun mama!

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#13 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM

You've gotten GREAT advice and suggestions. That said, ENJOY!!!!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#14 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

crispie i'm so glad you posted because of you i decided to forego the arms reach altogether. we were given a bassinet and it's fineee. if anything i would like to replace the mattress with something new or add an organic topper. i wanted it for travel (like a hotel stay), but this one is not new so it's something i can clink around and not worry about a stain or scratch. and after 4 mos-6 mos i hope to have him sleep with us anyhow in our bed.
also decided on no bath products. water is just fine, he'll have a water bottle with a diaper solution (bronners, tea tree oil, water) for diaper changes and i think that's all we'll need for now. i am going to do the burts bees buttermilk lotion-i've just heard it smells great-but it will last as i'm just going to use a teeny bit for him at a time.
i will look into carseats too, i've heard a lot about the keyfit 30 (chicco), but it's pretty pricey!

#15 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
crispie i'm so glad you posted because of you i decided to forego the arms reach altogether. we were given a bassinet and it's fineee. if anything i would like to replace the mattress with something new or add an organic topper. i wanted it for travel (like a hotel stay), but this one is not new so it's something i can clink around and not worry about a stain or scratch. and after 4 mos-6 mos i hope to have him sleep with us anyhow in our bed.
also decided on no bath products. water is just fine, he'll have a water bottle with a diaper solution (bronners, tea tree oil, water) for diaper changes and i think that's all we'll need for now. i am going to do the burts bees buttermilk lotion-i've just heard it smells great-but it will last as i'm just going to use a teeny bit for him at a time.
i will look into carseats too, i've heard a lot about the keyfit 30 (chicco), but it's pretty pricey!
I LOVE these ideas! I'm using baby bee buttermilk this go round too. It is a little pricey but if it's only for baby I think it's worth it. I used all water last time, which was fine too, but you know...the smell mmmm

I would totally get the keyfit 30 if I could afford it. I know of VERY few mama's who's baby's are at the 20 pound mark at one year. They are almost always 20 pounds way before then. I really really think it's safer to have them back facing longer than recommended. The "experts" say around one year they would have proper neck muscles if in an accident should occur to support the head the way an adult would...but I watch my 22 month old get top heavy and fall off the couch head first...or fall asleep and nod his head all over in the car and I can't help but think he should be rear facing, even still at almost 2 years old.

Yup yup I think you're being very wise! And I tell ya it comes in handy to have an extra stash, of even $50-for say when the seasons change and you can get clothing for next year at half off cause the stores are practically giving away the old seasons stuff! Or when you see a steal at a thrift store. LOVE those moments.

Enjoy!

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#16 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

yeah...i've been thinking about the carseat and because i have the $ i really shy away from getting something that doesn't have many reviews and everything. a lot of my friends use the keyfit and have raved about it and there is tons of info on it online.

the good thing is that the 1000$ is just to get us started...then if i need something (small) i can pick it up later. this money is more for the essentials (car seat, diapers, wrap, ect). my favorite part about a budget is that i really have fun deciding what's really important to me. like, do i reallyyy need this and that?

yard sales will be coming up with the good weather also, gotta remember that for odds and ends.
oh-i also agree with the rear facing. i was going to get some pictures and tape them on the seat so he has something to look at back there.

#17 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 AM

If I had $1000 to spend *sigh* and didn't have anything right now, knowing what I liked and used for my now toddler, I would get:

a nice glider w ottoman (we use this all the time)

a little swing and a vibrating bouncy seat

a woven wrap (like a Girasol or a Didymos b/c wovens can be used for newborns and also for heavier toddlers plus they just feel so much nicer than a stretch wrap. Our son never really loved being wrapped until we got a nice woven.)

a set of Aden + Anais muslin swaddle cloths (we have used these daily since our son was born and still use them for naps, as stroller cover and as a sun shield in the car for the window)

an Ikea crib which you can remove the 4th side and sidecar it like an Arm's Reach (we had an Arm's Reach and used it but our friends did the same thing w the crib after researching online how to properly sidecar it and now use it as a crib so got more use from it)

a nice nursing pillow (my favorite is the Luna Lullaby one- still use it every day)

a good stroller that suits your needs (for us, we sprung for an Uppababy Vista- used the bassinet part when he was tiny indoors as a bed- has organic materials and mattress & can be used as a jog stroller plus can carry two babies, can rear or front face, folds down in one piece smallish and has huge canopy with spf + lots of understorage).

wool covers and a pair or two of longies + 2 dozen indian prefolds, snappies 6 or so stay dry hemp doublers, wet bags.

One nice diaper bag that is comfy to carry and will hold all the diapers.
Weleda Calendula baby products (shampoo/body gel, oil, diaper cream, cream bath- we swear by this stuff- its organic and biodynamic)

a sheep skin little rug for baby to relax on

an infant car seat (our son was a small baby 6.6 at birth and is now 22 pounds at 17 months old- got him a Britax Marathon when he was 9 months or so)

Ok- so my list goes waaaay over $1000 but there are a lot of things on there I can get for way cheaper by getting 2ndhand.
I would try for indian prefolds, snappies and wool covers on diaper swappers and hyena cart's spot's corner.
I would get a woven wrap either used from the baby wearer.com's site's for sale or trade forum or from sweet pickles using her layaway program.

I would get a glider and ottoman from my local mama's group online along with a vibrating bouncy seat and a little swing. These are always posted for peanuts. Or if you don't have this resource, try Craigslist. No need to buy these new if you don't have to.

I get my Weleda stuff on vitacost.com for a significant discount. Its worth it to us to order. Our son has silky skin and has never had a rash. Smells nice and organic too not synthetic.

I would also try to find my Vista on Craigslist or on the mama's board this time around if I were buying again. It is pricey new but we love it and we will be able to use it again come May for both our babies.

The only things I would get new is the carseat, the sheepskin and the Luna Lullaby pillow if I couldn't find it elsewhere. Most mamas keep theirs I find.
I always see mamas giving away their Boppies or Brestfriends though (like I did!).

Gosh $1000 sure does go fast!

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#18 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM

Good choice on not getting the co-sleeper. We got one for DS1 and he slept in it twice. I generally kept books and clothes in it. I'm going to set it up this time, simply b/c I might need somewhere safe to set DS2 to keep him from DS1. We have a crib that has never been used.

If your baby ends up with dry skin, I totally recommend Weleda products. We were using CA Baby, but DS has the driest skin and Weleda is the only line that keeps him soft.

Check out thebabywearer.com and you can get an Ergo or whatever you end up wanting on their For Sale or Trade board. I think you have to be a member with a certain number of posts before you can buy.

Your list is good - I think you'll be all set.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#19 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
i am going to do the burts bees buttermilk lotion-i've just heard it smells great-but it will last as i'm just going to use a teeny bit for him at a time.
DDC to say that I love burts bees buttermilk lotion, I use it as a moisturizer for myself every day because my skin is so sensitive, and so does my mom! My DS has a horrible reaction to it though...he gets these really red dry scaly patches wherever we put it on! And they take forever to clear up! At Christmas 2 years ago my mom slathered it on him because she thought "he looked a little dry"...poor baby looked horrible for 2+ weeks! Grammy still feels bad about that one!

As for having $1000 for baby things....I can only dream! I absolutly LOVE my glider and ottoman, I lived in it while nursing DS!
This time around I'd probably use it for the rest of my midwife payment!

~Becca
Wife to DH 8/2003; Momma to DS 5/2007ribboncesarean.gif ; DD 5/1/2010 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page