what happens at 35 week ob appt? possible TMI... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never made it this far into a pregnancy -- woohoo! -- so I hope you'll forgive the question. I'll be 35w4d at my appointment tomorrow, and I was wondering what usually happens at this stage of the game when it comes to doctors' appointments -- I know that, at some point, the doc will start checking my cervix, etc. Is there a good chance that's tomorrow?

Part of why I'm asking: I decided I was going to trim my nether regions this evening (this is SO not in character with me; I'm usually pretty a-ok with the natural state of affairs down there) and, thanks to my HUGE belly, I totally couldn't see what I was doing. So now, things are very, uh, patchy. And, in some places, bald. I normally wouldn't care too much what the doctor thinks, but I think all these hormones are making me a little bit... well, not myself. If you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 AM

i have my hubby do mine with a trimmer i'm not sure if at 35 weeks they take a peek to see if there is any progress. i doubt it?

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#3 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 AM

This cracked me up I promise you that given the number of vaginas that doctors see year after year, yours will not stand out as odd or offbeat--even with its funky haircut

At 35 w they will probably do the GBS test, but no internal.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#4 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM

each dr is slightly different but with my OB I just had my 35 week appointment. It was nothing special. At 36 they do the GBS test. And then I believe she starts checking the cervix at around 38 weeks, although you can decline those since they really dont tell you or your OB anything.

BFPChart2.gif

#5 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never had my cervix checked before I was actually in labour - even with the pregnancy where I saw a doctor. But I've also never had a GBS test either.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
#6 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 PM

I just had my 34 week appointment and I had the GBS swab done and my cervix checked. Mine might be a little earlier than most though since my Dr isn't letting me go past 38 weeks. I definitely wasn't prepared to have a vaginal exam done when I went in. And unfortunately I have to have one every week now until I deliver. JOY

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#7 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, guys, for the heads-up -- I was MUCH more prepared when the doc said he wanted to check my cervix and do a GBS (and, of course, said not a word about my, uh, trimming).

Like you, Katana, I'm not supposed to go past 38.5 weeks (emergency c-section with my first at 34 weeks) so he checked my cervix to see what's going on in there. And I'm already 1-2 cm dilated! So there's a good chance I'm going to be an April mama.

But you can walk around with a partially dilated cervix for weeks, right? I haven't had any contractions other than a few Braxton Hicks. I just want to make it to 37 weeks!
#8 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Glad it went well!

As far as the dialation....with my first I was 0cm dialated the day I went into labor and she came pretty fast. With my 2nd, I was 3cm dialated for 3 wks and water broke and mroe than a day later, still no labor. So for me it was not an indicator.

BUT, that is still 1-2cm you don't have to dialate during labor, which counts for something!!
#9 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 AM

I was 1-2 cm with my first two for about 3 week each. Didn't check with my 3rd so I don't know about him. I was actually pretty shocked that my Dr said I was closed tight because I though after you had had previous babies you were always kinda a 1.

#10 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, DeChRi and Katana -- your dilation stories really help! I'm in waters I've never swum before, having had my first so early. It's cool to already be having such a different experience with baby #2.

Probably a silly question, but do you know if there's anything you can do to keep dilation to a minimum over the next few weeks (eg: sit more, rest more)?
#11 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM

I had my 35 wk appt. today and it went really well!
Got swabbed for GBS and got an internal at the same time which wasn't too painful.
I am not dilated which made me happy- wanna wait til week 37 for that- but the doc said he could feel Pixie's head right there with his hand.
She is dropped/my cervix is very shortened. He said he could see me going earlier than my EDD which I am fine with. Then he said its all looking very promising for my VBAC!
Listened to her dear heartbeat as well which is always a thrill.

Oh yes, the hospital still has a no siblings policy but the doc (who is a bit of a legend in our area for doing VBACs, backing up home births and performing vaginal breeches when no other doc will touch any of this) and very senior told me he would personally sneak my toddler in to see me which made me well right up.
My son is 17 months old and has only been away from me for 4 hours once or twice so this means the world.

Anyway, feeling good and can't wait to meet this little lady.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#12 of 15 Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 AM

I had my 35 week exam this week too. Got GBS done and (in accordance with NC state law) got tested AGAIN for STDs. Grrr. Already had that done once. I also got my cervix checked, just because I've been having soooo many contractions and I'm hoping to hold out for about 5 days past my EDD. Good news... I'm 1 cm dilated, but cervix is very thick and firm and baby's head is still floating (not engaged).

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#13 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecombs View Post
I had my 35 week exam this week too. Got GBS done and (in accordance with NC state law) got tested AGAIN for STDs. Grrr. Already had that done once. I also got my cervix checked, just because I've been having soooo many contractions and I'm hoping to hold out for about 5 days past my EDD. Good news... I'm 1 cm dilated, but cervix is very thick and firm and baby's head is still floating (not engaged).
Yes I had to get blood drawn again for STDs. This is the 3rd time this pregnancy!! Once at my first prenatal, once at about 26 weeks and then again this week. I think they actually check again in the hospital! Crazy.

#14 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis_plus_three View Post
Thanks, DeChRi and Katana -- your dilation stories really help! I'm in waters I've never swum before, having had my first so early. It's cool to already be having such a different experience with baby #2.

Probably a silly question, but do you know if there's anything you can do to keep dilation to a minimum over the next few weeks (eg: sit more, rest more)?
I'm not really sure how much putting yourself on bed rest helps in all cases, but with my daughter I was 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced, and had lost half of my mucus plug at 37 weeks. I was determined not to go into labor until my mom had flown in and put myself on bed rest for a three days. When I 'rose again' I went into labor within three days. I'd love to think I had control over this, but who really knows. LOL.
Good luck!!
#15 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis_plus_three View Post
Thank you, guys, for the heads-up -- I was MUCH more prepared when the doc said he wanted to check my cervix and do a GBS (and, of course, said not a word about my, uh, trimming).

Like you, Katana, I'm not supposed to go past 38.5 weeks (emergency c-section with my first at 34 weeks) so he checked my cervix to see what's going on in there. And I'm already 1-2 cm dilated! So there's a good chance I'm going to be an April mama.

But you can walk around with a partially dilated cervix for weeks, right? I haven't had any contractions other than a few Braxton Hicks. I just want to make it to 37 weeks!
I was 3 cm dilated with my first for well over a month, and probably longer than that with my second, but did not have checks with him.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page