Weekly Thread 4/12-4/18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, what's new or on your agenda this week?

My husband and I had a remarkable spurt of getting-ready-for-Bagel this weekend. I snapped up a used orange Bugaboo Frog in great condition for $265 (including accessories). We also ordered a co-sleeper, a carseat, a glider/ottoman, and some prefolds. Right now I'm washing Bagel's laundry so that we'll have clothes to put on the kid if he or she comes early (although we should still have a while to go). I feel so much more logistically prepared than I did two days ago.

I'm cleared for my homebirth as of this weekend, which feels hugely relieving even though I'm not having any symptoms that suggest that labor is eminent. We have an appointment with our midwife on Thursday, which is always exciting. We also have THREE childbirth classes plus our infant first aid/CPR class this week. And on top of that, I'm having tea with a doula friend (not my doula) and I have to reschedule a call from the insurance nurse. I was going to try to go to an information session with the pediatrician we picked out, but I might have to bump that until next week for fear of overloading my husband with massive baby stuff. It is very, very much feeling like this week is All Baby, All The Time.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#2 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Great score on the stroller!

We did baby organizing this weekend too! Not that we're done by any means, but we made some major inroads! Woohoo! The baby's dresser is actually in the baby's room and a bookshelf, my yarn dresser, my yarn cabinet, and the sewing machine are all NOT in the baby's room! Plus 10~ish boxes of books are gone too! I feel like the room is 1/2 cleared out, which is fabulous.

I think we also made decisions about colors and such, which is good. I would have loved to paint the room, but we're renting and DP isn't much of a DIY person at times, especially since we've been looking for a house to buy for months. Plus, that would have involved moving everything out of the room at once- and I'm not sure I would have been up for that either! Lol!

The baby has been moving a ton this weekend- fun times! I feel great in general, but I think I have a cold. So we'll see, lol.

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#3 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM

We (and by we, I mean DH) painted our bedroom this weekend, I am in love with the color even more than I thought I would be. We put off doing anything with our bedroom for so long, because there were so many other little things to do in the house that were more "visible", but I'm so glad that we finally got around to painting...now it looks like "our room" and not just another place we were renting. We (he) still have to do the edging, I'm going to tape up the room tonight and he's going to finish that, and we should be totally finished tomorrow night and ready to hang stuff on the walls and put up the new curtain rods and curtains.

I have either a cold or bad allergies, not sure which...my ears and sinuses are plugged up, I lost my voice, and generally feel like rubbish. Between that, SI joint throbbing/shooting pain, a constantly numb right hand with carpal tunnel, and the return of morning sickness I just want to take this week OFF from like, everything, and sit on the couch catching up online with House and Dollhouse.

Wednesday night is our wind ensemble final rehearsal before our concert Thursday night, and I have to start some herb pots this week too. Yesterday we got planted in the garden: potatoes, carrots, radishes, beets, mustard greens and started in pots: catnip, parsley, and marjoram. Have another dozen kinds of herbs to start, need to get it done within the next couple days for sure.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#4 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 PM

We, too have gotten a ton of things done. The nesting energy is going full-force around here. Only a few things left, like fixing the infant car seat I installed wrong, and getting some lanolin. I want to replace my old nursing bras, so I might check out Target's selection. The birth tub was also delivered yesterday, so we're good to go! We also chose a doula over the weekend. It's funny, I'm still dithering in my head, even though the decision is made. They are both really good....

I don't remember feeling so nesty last time, but I think I was using it all at my job - by the time I got home I was exhausted. I'm trying to figure out if this nesting means the baby is coming soon, or if we still have a couple weeks...

You have so much going on, Starkyld - this week will fly by for you. We should take a refresher CPR course, too. I remember how to do infant, but this toddler sitting in my lap would be in trouble!

Last night, we went to a concert and a woman there implied that she was worried I'd have the baby right there due to the noise level. I told her I'd wait until I got home My first labor was 16 hours from the mildly crampy stage to his emergence, so I doubt I'd just drop a kid in the space of couple hours.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#5 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I had a good weekend. Got the rest of the "stuff" done and now we are completely ready for Jack's arrival!!

I had my 36 week appt with my OB this morning. All is well in the womb. It was an uneventful appointment.

I'm relaxing while my dd sleeps. She'll be up soon and I'm going to take her outside to play, it's a gorgeous day here in Central NY.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

#6 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM

We also had a good weekend. Started out on Friday with out 36-wk appt (even though I was really 37) which was also a class about what to expect at the birth center. That got us motivated to get things started. So, car seat is installed in DH's car, bag is almost packed, things around the house are basically in order for this little one's arrival. I still need to make some food to freeze.

Crazy as it is, I another appointment today. Things still look good, not that I as expecting a change in 72 hours. The mw did says something about him being really low, and then had a sly smile on her face. Don't know what that means.

So, I'm just trying to get everything together at work -- lesson plans for my subs and such. I've been having more BH & crampy feelings. Nothing with a pattern yet. My goal is to get it all done by the end of the week... just in case

Of course that will guarantee he won't come until 42 weeks!

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#7 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Must have been something in the air! We had a big nesting weekend too. We have

- completed our nappy stash (although we had to order a couple of things which will arrive at the end of April)

- washed nearly everything (and rescued the load I dyed lavender blue with ? my blue Moby )

- installed the car seat and had it checked by the ambulance installer/checker person

- bought the last little bits and pieces like PawPaw ointment, nail clippers, digital thermometer etc

- went to an active birth class, although it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be

I'm feeling pretty good about our preparation although there is still quite a lot I'd like to do. I'm feeling like I have lots of energy for prep though which is good. I suspect this is nesting

I think today's job is to pack a bag for me, and, when DH gets home from work we can pack BabyGirl's bag together.

She is doing well, not descended at all but in a pretty good position. Still moving lots and complaining that my organs are encroaching on her personal space. Apparently my liver is particularly intrusive I feel ok but have to be careful not to overdo it or I pay with lots of lower body aches and have to sleep for 12 hours to recover

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Hi Mamas! You all have busy preparing for your little beans. It's fun to get stuff done. We still need to look at strollers, although I don't feel pressed about this at all. Just considering the options for double strollers given that DD is 16 months and doesn't have quite the stamina to walk, walk, walk yet. DH wears her in a sling much of the time but we do use the stroller occasionally and will have to when it's only one of us since we can't doublesling.

Our big news is that we narrowed down our names to three choices that we both really like. One of the names came to me in a dream and the other two are my Dh's favorite name and my favorite name.

My unsettling news is that my maternal grandmother died yesterday. She's been sick for a couple of weeks and was not expected to recover, but it's still a blow to our family. What is personally very upsetting is that I can't go to her funeral. It's a ten-hour drive which I can't make on my own and DH would have to stay to take care of the dogs. The m/w aren't keen on me going given that I am 37 weeks and I had DD at 37 weeks. A friend was going to come with me with her baby but I couldn't fathom going into labor and having a baby without DH. It stinks so much that I can't be with my family right now, particularly my mom as this was her last surviving parent.

Life loves to throw curveballs. My grandmother's bday would have been Thursday, so I am hopeful little bean will see fit to give a tribute.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#9 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Very sorry to hear about your grandmother Starfish. And that you aren't able to go to her funeral.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Starfish, I'm so sorry for your loss. I imagine that it must be really hard on you to not be able to travel and be with your family right now. I'll be thinking of you.

emnic, your garden continues to sound absolutely awesome.

It really seems that a lot of us have kicked baby-prepping into high gear over the last brief while. I'm at work and just got a message that our co-sleeper has arrived, so our 700sq ft apartment is starting to actually look like a baby could live there at some point in the near future. My agenda for tonight is to clean up the living room area before tomorrow's midwife appointment, finish our taxes (I'm nearly done), and sort out our bed arrangement plan. I think my husband and I are going to flip sides of the bed and put the cosleeper on the side that doesn't currently have anything rather than disassembling and reconfiguring the nightstand that's currently on my side of the bed--but we still need to get the extension kit before we can actually install the co-sleeper.

My fuzzy pregnobrain caused me to misremember a really important deadline by two days. This morning, I logged into an online system to confirm my enrollment in the fall, only to realize that I was supposed to have done so by yesterday! After about 20 minutes of panicking, emailing, and leaving voice mails, I was able to get it all sorted out with no actual damage done.

At last night's childbirthing class, we learned that we had lost a couple over the weekend because they had their baby already. That's really exciting (and is yet another notch of things feeling more real and more imminent for me).

#11 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Just popping in to say Hi!

Long time no see.

Been crazy busy with life, farm (sheep shearing, lambing!), DD, work (40 hrs in 4 days this week...) etc., so hardly have time for anything on the internets.

Will try to catch up!

37w this week here, omg. This weekend = baby prep!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#12 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiberLover View Post
Just popping in to say Hi!

Long time no see.

Been crazy busy with life, farm (sheep shearing, lambing!), DD, work (40 hrs in 4 days this week...) etc., so hardly have time for anything on the internets.

Will try to catch up!

37w this week here, omg. This weekend = baby prep!
hey!! so glad to see you...have been wondering where you have been.

i finished my article this week, three weeks before the deadline (and my due date!) so i'm feeling pretty happy about that. i also had a bit of a baby prep weekend, though there wasn't much to do there...mostly just lanolizing woolies and bring newborn clothes up from the basement. but it's all done! now i would just like another week to tie up some loose fellowship ends and then maybe a few days after that just to nest/clean/garden...if i can make it to 39w i'll be pleased -- it would be hard if baby came as early as wren. i'm feeling really comfortable and content to stay pregnant for a while so i think i'll be fine even if beeb decides to come "late." i don't feel labor is impending, so maybe s/he will be!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#13 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM

and starky, i'm bummed we haven't gotten a chance to meet up yet but am looking forward to meeting up with beebs perhaps! (unless you have some time in the next couple of weeks.)

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#14 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Fiber, it's good to see you around! Glad everything is going well and I hope you get some less busy time between now and the new baby's arrival.

brooklyn_warbler, congrats on finishing up your article! I know how stressful trying to write with fuzzy pregnobrain can be--and I still have academic obligations hanging over my own head! I should have some smatters of free time here and there over the next couple of weeks. Either way, we should definitely meet up either in our deeply pregnant states or with new babies.

Now I need to figure out if non-wool diaper covers need to be lanolized...I've been looking at the ones I bought off of etsy and wondering if there's anything I'm supposed to do to treat them before using. The seller didn't include any instructions to do so....

#15 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM

I love to hear everyone's productive nesting stories.

My nesting is on hold as I am paralyzed with our kitchen project. I did get my herbs planted into pot last night. I did decide on tile and paint for the kitchen. I did at least make a list of what to pack in hospital bag. I was hit with a spurt of nasty contrx yesterday that put my into the...."what if baby comes at 37 wks?" panic. I feel like I went from having tons of time, to none. The next two days are packed w/ workman in and out, Fri I am taking a bunch of 11 yos out for DD1s bday, Sat we are outta town, Sunday my folks are in town, next week is DD1s actual bday, dance tues night, ball wed night, pitching lesson an hour away thurs night, dinner with friends fri night, spring football game sat, bday celebration for DD1 w/ inlaws. So my HOPE is that by Monday, April 26th my kitchen will be done, the insanity will be cleared a bit, I will over 35wks along and then can just next like heck to get the house together in time for baby.

On a wonderful note....my 2 yo that usually wakes every couple hours slept ALL NIGHT LONG last night!!! WHOHOO!!
#16 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkyld View Post
Now I need to figure out if non-wool diaper covers need to be lanolized...I've been looking at the ones I bought off of etsy and wondering if there's anything I'm supposed to do to treat them before using. The seller didn't include any instructions to do so....
What kind of covers are they? What are they made of? I haven't heard of non-wool covers needing to be lanolized, but we vegans aren't very hip on wool, so.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#17 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 PM

wow, there definitely must be something in the air! way to go mommas for being so productive!!

emnic - i hope you feel better! i was suffering from sinus issues myself last week. not fun at all

starfish - i'm so sorry for your loss ((hugs))

brooklyn - congrats on finishing your article!

AFM - i had a rough wk last week. it started off with a terrible sinus infection that kicked my booty for the majority of the week. at my 33 wk appt with my m/w my bp was a bit up and there was some protein/glucose in my urine, so that further dampened my spirits. i think the high bp was due to my being sick, but i'm not sure how to explain the protein/glucose in the urine thing. so i'm trying to be extra cautious so that i do well at my next appt on the 26th. my weekend was good though. i had maternity pics taken. here are some of the pics on my photographer's blog. and then dh and i had a baby shower hosted by a good friend of ours. it turned out really nice. we didn't get a lot of stuff on our registry, so i was freaking out about that. but i've started going through and buying the things that we really need (i.e. CDs). i ordered a bunch from cotton babies yesterday.

i have some things to take back to the store, and hopefully we can get the car seat installed this weekend. i also have a ton more baby clothes to wash. *sigh* my to-do list keeps getting longer and longer. can't wait for my massage this evening!!
#18 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Wow those are some great pregnancy photos

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#19 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMum View Post
No kidding! Totally adorable. I love the way the pink tank makes that sweet baby belly stand out against all the pretty nature backdrops! Lovely.

#20 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Add me to the "sick list"! I've got some sort of throat/congestion thing. I actually feel okay- it hurts when I cough, but otherwise I'm fine- swallowing doesn't hurt, no achy tenderness, no sinus pressure/headache, etc. I have almost *no* voice and am hacking up ick, plus random crazy congestion that comes and goes...

Anyway, I've actually called in sick the past two nights! This is a big deal as I haven't called in sick in 2 years! And of course I'm thinking that PTO time used now = less time off to spend with the baby!

In other news- the baby is moving a TON in the past few days! And the nesting/ "oh crap the baby is coming SOON" realization has hit and organizing and cleaning are actually happening on a daily basis! So yay!

I start acupuncture tomorrow- I'm excited and nervous! Yikes!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#21 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 10:13 PM

feminist~mama, is this your first time getting acupuncture? What kind are you getting? It's been a huge help for me for sure. I'm getting Five Elements. Be sure to ask for needles in the ear--it turns me into such a relaxed stoner for the rest of the day.

There is a treatment in Five Elements acupuncture that involves mint balm and a Chinese soup spoon on your back that cleared up my cold super fast. I wonder if you could see about some of that?

I hope you feel better, stat!

#22 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 PM

This is my first time, so I have no idea what I'm getting, lol. My midwife recommended this practitioner, so that was good enough for me.

I've no idea what she's planning, but she did tell me I might be sleepy afterward and wanted to make sure I didn't have plans for the evening. It didn't occur to me that maybe she could help me out with my cold- but now I'll be sure to mention that my voice doesn't always sound like this! Thanks for the tip!

#23 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminist~mama View Post
I actually feel okay- it hurts when I cough, but otherwise I'm fine- swallowing doesn't hurt, no achy tenderness, no sinus pressure/headache, etc. I have almost *no* voice and am hacking up ick, plus random crazy congestion that comes and goes...

This is EXACTLY what is going on with me! I am so sick of not being able to talk, I sound like I have a 12 pack a day habit, it's driving me crazy. I hate going to work like this and having conversations like this.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#24 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM

Hey mamas!

My husband and I celebrated my 29th birthday yesterday by taking the kiddies to a very cool little goat farm 1 1/2 hrs away and spending the day petting goats, feeding fish, and watching peacocks preen and strut. Very relaxing... of course, I am paying for being on my feet all day yesterday with very swollen-feeling nether regions today. Ah well.

Big 35w appt tomorrow; I'm anxious because this is the point in my last pregnancy where things took a rapid turn for the worse and I ended up being induced for pre-e at 35+5. I'll be 35+4 tomorrow and I've been having some "warning signs"... hoping for low BP and NO protein in my urine tomorrow... my swelling has been increasing and my BP has been creeping up the past few appts. I'm trying not to think too much about it, but it's hard not to see the similarities to last time!!

In related news, I've now finished all my ritualistic, unnecessary baby prepping activities. By that I mean that I don't feel prepared for a baby to be born around here until the crib is all set up (though out of the last 8 years (and 4 kids) I've owned the thing, it's been slept in more by guests than by my own children). I also need to have the cradle set up and ready (although I will probably use it 10 times before the baby is too big for it... like when babe is ready for bed/nap and the bedsheets are still in the washer, etc. And the nursery has to be ready for a baby even though it is basically just a place to keep the baby's clothing... I have used the changing pad that I must have on top of the dresser probably a total of 15 times EVER, but I don't feel ready for baby if it's not up there, complete with a terry-cloth cover on it. All that stuff is done, plus the real prep stuff: bags are packed, carseat is washed and ready to go, nursing bras bought, bedrail installed (we are cosleepers and the bedrail keeps ME from rolling onto the floor!), newborn clothes and diapers washed and put away!

I am praying for happy news tomorrow, but I'm ready for baby no matter when he decides to show up!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#25 of 27 Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMum View Post
aww, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
No kidding! Totally adorable. I love the way the pink tank makes that sweet baby belly stand out against all the pretty nature backdrops! Lovely.
thank you!! yea, my photographer recommended that i wear a bright tank for that very reason!

feminist - i hope you feel better soon, and i hope your accupuncture appt goes well.

dkenagy - happy belated birthday! and good luck at your appt. hoping that everything is fine!
#26 of 27 Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Tippy- Those pictures are awesome, you have an adorable belly.

I am going to try to take some belly shots this weekend. A friend of mine wants to take some for me, so if I'm feeling okay, that's the plan.

I did get alot of work done on the nursery, ordered curtains, and today I'm washing clothes. I really want to do so much more but I got really sick yesterday and think I may have caught a virus? Either that or I'm getting ready to go into labor. The latter would be great! I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow, and I was dialted a finger tip yesterday, so probably not likely, but we'll see.

Proud Mama to my boys Noah and Elijah, my angel baby, and baby girl due May 7th, 2010.
#27 of 27 Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 PM

Woot! I feel so happy and relieved to have made it through my 35w appt--my BP was good, swelling is minimal, urine clear, and baby sounded great! I'm keeping an eye on my swelling, taking my BP occasionally, staying off my feet from here on in, keeping my protein and water intake UP!

Yay! I am so looking forward to the next few weeks of this pregnancy.

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page