The possible labor symptoms thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 173 Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it be fun to start a thread where we can compare notes on possible symptoms of possible labor to come.

So far here is what I have and I dont think Im going anytime soon since Im 37w 2 days but here it is nonetheless:

-I'm 2cm dilated as of Mondays appointment
-have been having loose bm (sorry tmi) the last couple days
-been feeling crampy off and on
-feeling SUPER sore way on my lower abdomen
-pinching feeling on my cervix
-feeling nauseous (weird since I've had ms this pregnancy)
-get tons of hot flashes
-tons of Braxton hicks
-more clearish cm when I wipe after using the bathroom

anyone else have possible symptoms?

BFPChart2.gif

#2 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 AM

I've been having prodromal labor for the last 3 days now. I feel like an engine that doesn't know if it wants to start or not.

Yesterday I was dilated 1-2, but today I'm so high up I can't even find my cervix.

I've started sleeping much more lightly than normal (even than earlier in pregnancy), which tends to happen to me right at the very end.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#3 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 AM

So I know it's ridiculous to be annoyed, but after the day I've had with symptoms and no progression, I am irritated! So I'm obsessing over symptoms and would love to add to your post.

-baby has dropped significantly
-dialated to 1 and mostly effaced(didn't get a %)
-stronger contractions
-back pain
-abdominal cramping
-hot flashes
-lost a bunch of mucous
-nausea, extreme episode today
-indigestion
-increased bowel movements
-was nesting pretty bad but after today I am in too much pain

I'm trying to relax because I know there is not much I can do about it if she's not ready, but I've never had this much happen at once and I am hoping soon so I don't have to be induced.

Proud Mama to my boys Noah and Elijah, my angel baby, and baby girl due May 7th, 2010.
#4 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM

I wish I were definitely in labour... I don't think I am close even though I am 39 weeks today But that said, these are the things I've been experiencing over the last week:

-lots of BHC
-increasingly frequent pinching in cervix that is getting more and more noticeable.
-occasionally feeling nauseous and not really finding anything really appetizing
-flashes of pain and pressure in very low abdomen (sort of around bladder) when standing or walking. I think it happens when the little guy turns on his head.
-Exhausted and feeling apathetic towards any cleaning, organizing or running around.
-having to get up early - Even though I am exhausted, I still can't sleep in.
-Strong desire to stay home and veg. I really don't feel like going out at all!!

Gawd! I hope he doesn't go over and I have a baby in my arms by the end of the weekend LOL

Mom to Isaac Arthur (May 7, 2010)
#5 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

ugggg today so far I have been feeling very crampy so far. I had one contraction that was pretty painful. Im not sure what is going on but Im def keeping an eye on things.

BFPChart2.gif

#6 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Well, I've been having BH for weeks, but the ones in the past few days have been much more crampy-feeling and much stronger (and longer!). I'm still just 1 cm, but I've never been more than that without being in REAL, no-questions, labor.
No real "labor symptoms", but yesterday I started up with swelling in my hands and arms (feet have been swelling for a couple weeks). My BP is also creeping up just a tad... poo. I'm keeping an eye out for any other pre-e symptoms, as I'd really rather not be smacked upside the head with a very serious situation like last time... of course, I'd rather just repeat my other births and go into labor on my own around 40-41 weeks!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#7 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Wish I was having more symptoms than I am, but the writing's on the wall nonetheless.
* disturbed sleep -- lots of pee trips then insomnia, can't sleep in, etc.
* increased BM
* crampy feeling almost all day, some BH thrown in the mix.
* back pain
* baby is LOW!
* weird bladder/cervix pinching, esp when baby moves
* can feel head deep in pelvis
* mostly very fatigued, but then get spurts of nesting energy to get something done.

No loss of mucus plug yet, and I have no idea how dilated I am. My mw doesn't check until 40 wks & my cervix is unreachable by me at this point (too high or belly too big to get to it, who knows). Basically I'm tired and ready for this lil guy to make his appearance. I dread going to work each day b/c I have to be on my feet and active & I just don't feel like I can do much more of that. Also a little negative today... have to work about 12-13 hours Also just found out the DH probably has to find a new job b/c his company is moving. Maybe the stress will get things going.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#8 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 PM

I've got:

**Increased heartburn! Oh my gawd it's awful!
**More BH- but honestly, I'm wondering if maybe I'm a bit dehydrated. Water is giving me heartburn these past couple of days!
**Feeling a bit like the baby's a smidge lower.

That's it really. Everything else seems status quo. Sigh. I wish I was having major stuff going on. DP said he thinks my cervix feels spongy, but I can't reach it and my midwife didn't check on Thursday.

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#9 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM

This is me now at 35 weeks and 4 days
-I'm 2cm dilated and 40% effaced (never reached 4cm before I'm in full labor) Two weeks ago I was closed and long. Usually it takes longer to get there. I'd be surprised if I made it to my "due date-May 22nd"
-have been having loose bm (sorry tmi) the last couple days
-get tons of hot flashes
-using the bathroom every 3 hrs which brings on BH and pressure until I decide to get up and go
-heartburn alot these days
-pinching in cervix-some that really hurt-happens a few times a day
-SO MUCH pressure down there (like she's REALLY trying to come out NOW)
-exhausted all the time
-having to get up early, feel fine for an hour then crash, needed to take a nap then fine till late bedtime
-irratiable all the time (mostly from being tired and dealing with 4 kiddos)

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#10 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM

I am trying to tell my brain and my body to match up. I have sworn I would go late, and I am not anticipating an early baby at all....but here we are at 36w on the nose and OMG.

My BH have been getting more intense over hte last week and are now up to about every 10 mins at times. Then last night I had to deal with my lower back KILLING me...and it's still going on today. I haven't had issues with my back at all this pregnancy or heck in anyway since my fusion.

I had back labor with my first and I am freaking out now thinking of all I need to do in case she does want to come early!

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#11 of 173 Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 PM

35weeks 5days today. Im ready to see my little girl, but I know it's best for her to keep on cooking. I think she will for awhile. I definitley feel more going on than I have the last few weeks. She is due 5/16 but my gut tells me 5/9 or 5/10. Here's whats' up with me:

No BH's to speak of
By my own cervical checks Im about 1cm dilated and still pretty "high"
lots of cervical "pinches"
bursts of energy with major crashes afterward
waking up several times a night
night time hot flashes
more short of breath and asthma acting up
stuffy nose/nosebleeds
return of the killer acid reflux
getting antsy about having everything ready
very very irritable with kids and dh

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#12 of 173 Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

ok here is my update for today. The pressure and the pain is SO bad today I can hardly walk. oh. my. gawd. It hurts so bad. And idk if this is a "symptom" but its def a change. My skin has broken out pretty bad the last few days. Possibly caused by a surge in hormones? I am so short of breath and feel like I cant get a full breath in. Lots and lots of bh contractions. And more clear cm when I used the bathroom. peeing a ton ton ton... well let me rephrase... feeling like I have to pee a ton then when I go... nada or hardly anything. I have been having waves of upset tummy pain...contractions? I actually am having one right now as I type this... ouch!

BFPChart2.gif

#13 of 173 Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Oh. Okay. There are other mama's experiencing the same symptoms as I am -- kinda makes me feel a little better.

I'm trying not to wonder if THIS is IT because based on these posts, my symptoms are quite normal.

- Braxton Hicks up the wazoo
- cramps
- pinching feeling on my cervix
- hot flashes
- finger-tip width dialation
- increased indigestion
- increased bowel movements
- nesting
- pressure on my cervix
- stuffy nose/nosebleeds (and increased snoring, per DH)

and the worst:
- sleep issues -- many pee trips followed by insomnia

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#14 of 173 Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
Oh. Okay. There are other mama's experiencing the same symptoms as I am -- kinda makes me feel a little better.

I'm trying not to wonder if THIS is IT because based on these posts, my symptoms are quite normal.

- cramps
- hot flashes
- increased indigestion
- nesting
- pressure on my cervix

and the worst:
i have pretty much all of these issues (except i haven't checked dilation) but i was assuming it was all just normal late-pregnancy symptoms. i didn't get even remotely curious about labor until yesterday, when i woke up with ctx 4 minutes apart...and they stayed at 3-5 minutes allllll day. after a couple of hours i was like, "ok, clearly this is not actual labor" since they weren't progressing, but yeah that's the first time i was like "hmmmm" in either pregnancy...last time i didn't suspect anything until my water broke because i was so convinced i would go late. i don't like this "hmmm" feeling, lol!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#15 of 173 Old 04-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfox View Post

- cramps
- hot flashes
- increased indigestion
- nesting
- pressure on my cervix

and the worst:
Same here for me as well. I've never experienced these in late pregnancy before. With my DD there was nothing and then my water broke. So this is all new to me!

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#16 of 173 Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 PM

I have lots of what are being described here, but none of it seems to indicate labor to anybody. Especially the pinchy cervix thing. Doctor just said that is baby moving his head. Does it mean something to you?
#17 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Same symptoms still going on for me....I've done this every pregnancy, lots of false alarms and wondering if it is real labor, because it sure feels that way, then as I am convinced it may be, it all disappears...pure torture.

Proud Mama to my boys Noah and Elijah, my angel baby, and baby girl due May 7th, 2010.
#18 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 AM

I just lost my mucous plug-pretty big chunk too. 35w, 5d. One step closer to baby girl. And it seems BH are picking up.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#19 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 AM

I'm having many of these symptoms, but my midwife said it is normal for second-timers (and more?) to have lots of false starts. As of today, I have never been this pregnant. I'm at 38w4d and DS was born at 38w3d. I'm curious to see how long my crampiness and stuff goes on before this LO appears.
I was sure it was happening Tuesday night, but everything petered out. I think he might be waiting for an inopportune date, like this Saturday (yes, long story) or next week when my good friend has to be in court.

Are any second timers + having fewer BH's than in previous pregnancies? I am having so few in general, but they seem stronger than the ones I had with DS.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#20 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ok something that isnt a symptom really but thought Id share. Movements are getting down right painful. Especially when she decides to push on my belly button. i mean seriously it makes me jump out of my seat and gasp sometimes!

BFPChart2.gif

#21 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM

I need to take a picture of my belly today. Because yesterday I started to have the WORST pain in my left side...it basically is a OMG I don't know how to describe it. Let's see so I feel like her head has dropped and now she is resting on my BONES...when her head moves I feel it *shudders* scraping against the left hip bone on the inside...like I said don't know what to call it or how to explain it...but I'd be amused if I was told she has NOT dropped down because I can barely move my left leg the pain is so intense. FUN stuff seeing that we had two soccer practices last night and games tomorrow morning for 3 hours on 2 different fields.

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#22 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabean View Post
I need to take a picture of my belly today. Because yesterday I started to have the WORST pain in my left side...it basically is a OMG I don't know how to describe it. Let's see so I feel like her head has dropped and now she is resting on my BONES...when her head moves I feel it *shudders* scraping against the left hip bone on the inside...like I said don't know what to call it or how to explain it...but I'd be amused if I was told she has NOT dropped down because I can barely move my left leg the pain is so intense. FUN stuff seeing that we had two soccer practices last night and games tomorrow morning for 3 hours on 2 different fields.
I have been having that bone scraping feeling too for months now! Im glad Im not the only one. I always described it as pain where I would normally feel O pain..(ovaries). My OB actually told me last week that my LO is still up high which surprised me even though Im 2 cm. Although for second time + mamas I hear the baby doesnt really drop till labor most of the time. I can hardly lift my legs when laying down. Picking up my leg to put on pants or climb stairs is excruciating...I think mostly because of my SPD.

BFPChart2.gif

#23 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabean View Post
I've been having the same pain too on the right side. The midwives confirmed last night that our kiddo's head is down in my pelvis so it is possible.

and my biggest "labor symptom" so far (beyond alot of what's been posted already for physical signs)..... are my cats. My two sweet and mellow fur babies have been fighting like ferals for the past few days to the point of ripping each other's fur out to bald patches. I swear they know something is up...

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#24 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellz View Post
I just lost my mucous plug-pretty big chunk too. 35w, 5d. One step closer to baby girl. And it seems BH are picking up.
Just lost twice as much this morning as I did last night.

#25 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Just curious is anyone did not notice losing their mucus plug before going into labor. I'm 39 weeks, and haven't lost mine, as far as I can tell.

On another note... got a burst of energy today. Cleaned the house. Did a HUGE grocery shop to make & freeze some dinners, returned some clothes that I had ordered, picked up some freecycle nursing tops. Now, I actually had a day off, but usually I spend that time lounging on the couch. Other signs are the same (cramping, backaches, etc). Not really expecting anything, but remaining optimistic.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#26 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 PM

I don't remember losing it with my 1st and 2nd. Def. remember losing it with my 3rd, can't remember if I did with my last and just lost it last night and today with this one. So it can vary.
I was having prodromal labor last night and some today so we will see how soon she comes.

We just cleaned the upstairs, vacuuming, taking out the trash, picking up toys. Then organized all the tubs of clothes that got thrown in DD1's unfinished room. Organized the kids clothes in the closet to get the right sizes and everything. Then wrapped all the presents and did all the gift bags for DS1 b-day party for Sunday the 2nd-as long as baby girl doesn't come to close to that date.

#27 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't lose my plug till I was in active labor and probably 5cm or so. I did have an increase in cm though before hand.

Also wanted to ad lf a new weird thing LO is doing. So when I'm laying down she will actually get a foot under my rib, literally under it and when I move or get up my rib actually traps her foot there and I have to move around again to let her foot loose. Weirdest thing ever.

BFPChart2.gif

#28 of 173 Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 PM

I did not think I would be posting here for a bit but I am a little concerned.

Last night baby went flipping around so much I was in tears and making small pathetic noises. Then I got belly sick and spent much time in the bathroom and then took a bath to relax. Today, been feeling like I have the flu. This is bad, I always this I have the flu right before birthing time. This of course is way too soon. Last I check I am at 3cm but vowed not to check again till 37 weeks and no bedroom fun till 37 weeks either.

I hope I feel better soon. You all need to go first if your term is my thinking!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#29 of 173 Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM

I am having tons and tons of BH contractions..my most recent possible sign is that I am getting a minor pimple breakout and my body odor is strong. Kinda reminds of pre-period stuff..so my hormones must be changing..

And even tho I'm not swollen, I do feel a little puffy. I remember this towards the end of pregnancy with my dd.

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#30 of 173 Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwright View Post
I am having tons and tons of BH contractions..my most recent possible sign is that I am getting a minor pimple breakout and my body odor is strong. Kinda reminds of pre-period stuff..so my hormones must be changing..

And even tho I'm not swollen, I do feel a little puffy. I remember this towards the end of pregnancy with my dd.
I'm right there with you. I noticed the "pre period" odor today. Def something new. And I too am puffy but not swollen. And add me to the break out! Before it was just here and there but now I can't get rid of it. I get small ones on my chin and around my lips...

BFPChart2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page