Name Choice for our FIRST Girl... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm going to jump on the name bandwagon here...DH and I had chosen the name Morgan for our last baby if it was a girl, but we ended up having another boy. Ever since then, we've referred to "Morgan" as though she was someone who would someday come to our family, and now here we are, just a few weeks away from meeting her! Here's my dilemma:

1) I don't love the name the way I'd like to before putting it in writing. This is my only daughter, I'd really like a super feminine, super strong name. What do you all think when you hear the name Morgan? What tone does it have?

2) We've chosen Claire as the middle name. I don't love this name either, but we agreed to do family names as middle names (both boys middle names are after their grandfathers, so we wanted our daughter to have a grandmothers name). I do like that Claire means "beautiful" though.

3) So how does Morgan Claire sound?

We both LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Rogue, but when I realized it had a negative meaning, we just couldn't bring ourselves to name our precious daughter after a scoundrel/theif, LOL! I also love the name Sloan, but it sounds way too masculine. So Morgan Claire is what we've chosen right now, and no other names have really popped up for either one of us.

BTW, her brothers are Ethan and Alexander (Alex), and we have a 2 syllable last name that's easy to pronounce.

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)
#2 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Morgan is wonderful and strong girl's name

Morgan La Fey was a misunderstood woman of power that pitted herself against King Arthur.

Claire is so incredibly popular right now. I'm glad you are considering it for a middle name only.
#3 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I think it's beautiful! To me Morgan makes me picture a emotionally secure (independent) strong woman...but not boyish or even tomboyish. It's a name that to me projects a woman who knows what she wants in life and goes for it, usually with success. (??? I dunno why, but you asked, and that's what I see when I think of that name) I definitely think it gives off the tone you are after.

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#4 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM

I like Morgan Claire. It's feminine and a little bit edgy. Cool choice.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#5 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
I like Morgan Claire. It's feminine and a little bit edgy. Cool choice.
Agreed. It feels like a strong, unique name.

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#6 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Morgan Claire is a lovely name! Sloane (with an "e") though has always been a feminine name for me. Must be the result of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#7 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Rogue is also the name of an X-Men mutant (comic book). Glad you passed on that one.

Morgan Claire is really beautiful. Good choice!

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#8 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco_Hikes View Post
Morgan Claire is a lovely name! Sloane (with an "e") though has always been a feminine name for me. Must be the result of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Same here .

I also think the name combo is lovely.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#9 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM

Morgan Claire is a lovely name. I also agree that "Sloane" is nice, too.

Morgan is a name that ages well. There are some names that I can't take seriously once the person is over 25.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#10 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM

I love the name "Morgan Claire." Good choice, mama!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#11 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 PM

I like the name Morgan Claire, very pretty.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#12 of 17 Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 AM

I love that name.

FWIW, we are considering naming our child "Morgan" if it is a boy, but I am sort of thinking it is too feminine. Clare is my middle name, so I am partial I love this name - makes me want to name MY girl Morgan Clare

(I am partial to the spelling with no 'i' because that's how my middle name is spelled.)

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#13 of 17 Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 AM

Morgan is such an ethereal beautiful name
Of course makes me think of The Mists of Avalon and all the legends...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay

Clare sounds nice and distinctive with it!

I am glad you passed on Rogue. Makes me think of Sarah Palin "going rogue"

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#14 of 17 Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 AM

I like the name Morgan too. If you want to make it sound more 'girlie', you could go with Morgana. (LOL, I'm another fan of the Mists of Avalon)
#15 of 17 Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually prefer Sloan(e) to Morgan and I find it to be more feminine. I also love X-Men so I think that Rogue would be a cool name as well. A name that we had considered that's close to Sloan but not quite is Soléne (or you could spell it Solenne if you didn't want to bother with the accent).

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#16 of 17 Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 AM

It makes sense to associate Morgan with the Arthur legends although that's not what comes to mind for me. I have to say that your desire for ultra-feminine and ultra-strong sounds like a tricky combo. Morgan sounds kinda uni-sex/modern/tomboy to my ear and although I like Claire quite well, it is pretty darn popular right now. I think Rogue is stinking cool, even though I understand passing on it for the meaning reason...but, Sloan/Sloane just feels meh to me...also quite unisex. Good luck! this name stuff is very tricky!

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#17 of 17 Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 PM

I think Morgan Claire is a good blend of strong/sweet. I think both are pretty popular names; not sure if you are trying to stay away from the mainstream, but you do see a lot of "morgans" around.

Love Sloane! Looks more feminine with the e than without.

Love Rogue as well! Very unique, very strong, not as feminine, but very original.

Just my 2cents. Names are tricky, sometimes it helps to wait until they arrive and see "what they look like". Wishing you good luck!

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page