Placenta smoothie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that there have probably been several recipes that have floated around Mothering for a placenta smoothie. Just wondering if you ladies have any ideas about ingredients and such.

My plan was to have it cut up and frozen into icecube trays, then I would just pull a few out of the freezer...throw them in my blender with say...strawberries, yogurt?? What else??

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
I know that there have probably been several recipes that have floated around Mothering for a placenta smoothie. Just wondering if you ladies have any ideas about ingredients and such.

My plan was to have it cut up and frozen into icecube trays, then I would just pull a few out of the freezer...throw them in my blender with say...strawberries, yogurt?? What else??
I think anything you would like a regular smoothie made of I'm planning on a bunch of different berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries...I like frozen fruit for smoothies and get big bags of mixed frozen berries) with some yogurt and a cut up banana. One of my midwives will mix one up for me after birth.

I'm doing the same as you, frozen in pieces and grabbing pieces for smoothies. I tend to crash hard hormonally after birth and I'm hoping this will help with that.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#3 of 10 Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM

I am definitely doing a placenta smoothie... this is the recipe I will be using. Sounds yummmmy

Placenta Smoothie

*placenta
*bag of strawberries (organic )
*couple bananas
*OJ

Use about 1/3 of placenta, clean the membranes from it and cut it up
into little chunks. Add some OJ and some frozen srawberries----enough, and this is psychological, so that when it turned red it was obviously from the
strawberries & not the placenta. Add the bananas, more strawberries and more OJ. Tasted like a really strawberry-berry smoothie.

Put the rest in dixie cups & cover them in foil and freeze them. Defrost them on the counter and drink them over the next
couple of days.

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#4 of 10 Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM

I really like the idea of putting the placenta into ice cube trays. So much easier than having to deal with it whole. I plan on eating a small piece right after babe comes, just as a precaution for PPH (although Ive never had an issue with it b4) and the hormonal balance, and I definitly want to save it for afterward. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD/Anxiety/Panic disorder last year and have never before had problems with PPD, but I want to be better safe than sorry this time around.
Does anyone put milk into their smoothie? or would that make it too "runny"? Guess using the yogurt would make it thicker and give you the calcium and probiotics. How about crushed ice?

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#5 of 10 Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 PM

This is a fun thread! I'm having mine dehydrated and encapsualated, though.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#6 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 AM

I'm definitely keen on having my placenta in a smoothie too! At first when my midwife brought up the subject I was like whoa! I had thought about it on a philosophical level but I didn't realize that more and more women are actually doing it!

I would love to know if there's like a magical "ultimate" placenta smoothie recipe. So far my plan is like everyone else, plain yogurt, frozen berry mix, a banana, maybe some honey. I thought about adding some almond butter to it as well.

Also, does anyone know how soon after delivery you should eat it? Is there an optimal time? When does it start to go bad? If it's born in the water will it be nasty?

My other big thing is I want to keep it private from my mother, who will probably be at my home birth. She would freak out about it, and I don't want to hear any negativity or have to feel the need to defend my choices. Any ideas on how this can be accomplished? I guess I could send her on errands or something if it's at a decent time of day.

I def. want to eat the placenta fresh. I know there's not a lot of research on it, but I just feel that drying, baking, and freezing it could render the hormones and nutrients in it less effective. Mama tigers don't prep their placentas, they eat it all raw on the spot. I guess they don't have freezers either tho.

So glad someone started this thread. Can't wait to hear other mother's experiences and ideas about it.

Due May 10th!
#7 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
This is a fun thread! I'm having mine dehydrated and encapsualated, though.
Me too!
I wonder if I would have the stomach to do it as a smoothie...prob. not.

I had mine encapsulated last time and she even added in additional herb support for my thyroid which is hypo.
It worked great and I had capsules for a few months.
I had two big bottles of it and took caps from one bottle every day post partum and when that ran out after a few weeks, I kept the other one and used the caps when I felt blue or got my period back, etc. for times of stress.
Very helpful.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#8 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Luckily DH is all for it, so he's going to to the prep. I want to try to have some right away plain, since I'm not sure if I can bring the Vitamix to the birth center! Though why not really? As with PPs I'm going for freezing in ice cube trays, stawbs and bananas. Not sure about the yogurt, but may add lemon juice and cinnamon. I use the later to mask strong tasting greens in smoothies.

PP, like with your mom, this process will have to be concealed from DB. I'm not sure he could survive a *discussion* of the topic let alone watch it happen!

Is anyone else really keen to do this (due to previous PPD, etc.) but also having a tough time wrapping their minds around it? I wish it was the norm, then I'd be like, "of course, time to eat something that just came out of my body!"

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#9 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

So glad others have responded!!

I guess I had the right idea about the recipe...but now I am interested in having a piece right after delivery, like other PPs.

This is of particular interest to me, because I am birthing in a hospital and the placenta will go from my body, to a cooler, and then later prepped and frozen at home by my dad. GO DAD!!! This means, though, that I won't likely have my first smoothie until I'm back home (a few days). And it would be good to have that hormone boost right away!

So, logistically, how are you all going to eat it fresh? Just have someone cut off a piece and hand it to you...all "Dances with Wolves" style?? I guess I would be down for that, but the smoothie sounded better to me, as the fruit and yogurt mask the flavor and blood. Do tell....

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#10 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
I am birthing in a hospital and the placenta will go from my body, to a cooler, and then later prepped and frozen at home by my dad. GO DAD!!!

Wow, you possibly have the coolest dad ever!

I was hoping I might be able to swallow a couple of pieces whole, but if I can bring the blender then I'm going for the smoothie, especially since I expect to be *starving* after and it might be easier to get more down.

I think it's the zinc that is the crucial factor. From what I've read your body's zinc packs into the placenta prior to labor which causes copper levels to rise which is one of the factors bringing it all on. Animals consume their placentas and regain their coppers levels quickly.

If anyone knows any other info, I'd be keen to hear it.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page