Constipation issues! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, for over a week now I've been struggling with constipation. I can't figure out why though. My diet is no different and my fluid intake has actually increased a bit because of the hot weather. My supplement routine hasn't changed either.

I asked my pharmacist SIL (who is also pregnant) what I should take and she said she takes Colace, which I had on hand. I've done three doses over three nights and nothing.

Anything else I should do (or anything I should be concerned about)? I'm thinking of calling my midwife today, but I hate to bother her with such a "simple" problem, YKWIM?

(oh, and wouldn't you know it. My DS is also constipated for the first time in his life and get this: my CAT is constipated too! We had to take him to the vet the other day because he was vomiting and they said he was impacted and put him on a laxative. Maybe there's something in the air... lol. Or they are having sympathy constipation.)

2.2006 * DS 12.24.2006 * Newbie due 5.19.2010 * planning our first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Miralax or phillips milk of mag, both work equally well (I'm doing milk of mag now) but milk of mag is cheaper and works FASTER. No cramping or anything with them and ok during pregnancy. ?But hell, if you did get cramps from something it might make something happen in there.

of course if you really wanted to poo AND have a baby you could take caster oil, but I did it once and puked in the sink after it went down, no bowel issues from it. My BFF did it and had her baby a few hours later.

The 1st 2 are the easiest though!! Good luck mama!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM

I had the same issue last week. I filled up on fiber, took metamucil, drank coffee, ate all kinds of stuff that usually has the opposite effect on me. Nothing worked until one morning I finally had a glass of prune juice because my father swears by it. It took less than an hour to work its magic. It kept working until the next day, and I really didn't feel much better until that evening, but it was so worth it. I've got a bottle of it in my fridge now in case it happens again!

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****
Old 05-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Fiber supplements! I am taking Citrucel tablets and they have helped me a great deal. If I weren't anemic, though, I'd be drinking about 1/4-1/2 cup of coffee every day. That worked SO WELL in my last pregnancy. Alas, caffeine inhibits iron absorption, or I'd be doing it this time, too.

Prune juice is supposed to be great, if you can get past the taste/texture.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Gah, prune juice! How in the world could I have forgotten about that? Such a simple remedy... I'll definitely pick some up today for me and DS.

Okay, so I'm drinking some hot coffee right now. I haven't had any anemia issues so I doubt one cup will hurt anything.

I'm wary of doing any OTC stimulants... as lovely as going a little early would be, I really want baby and contractions to start on their own time. If milk of magnesia is okay without causing cramping, I'll keep it in mind.

Let me tell you, once the immediate problem gets resolved, I'm restarting my psyllium husk routine. I was taking it at the very beginning, until my body got used to the extra iron in my PNV, but stopped once my body was adjusted. I think it might be time to pick that back up.

Thanks ladies!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM

How could I forget prune juice?!?!?

Hubby *thought* he was constipated the other day (not sure why, he's never been before) so he went out and bought some, drank a glass (YUCK!) and went 3 times within the hour and was mad at himself for thinking he was constipated LOL

But yep, Milk of Mag and Miralax have ZERO side effects and cause NO stomach issues. I took Miralax my entire pregnancy this time and with B with no issues at all.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM

I just recently read that one can become constipated from iron deficiency. Which is already a worry in pregnancy. So anyway, I read that and I was concerned about my iron and constipated so I made and was taking the yellow dock iron tonic from Susun Weed's book Herbs for the Childbearing Year. Let me just tell you I drank 2 TBS. in water and I pooped in like an hour. It was awesome, I took it for three days in the 2 TBS dose. Pooped those three days and have been pooping since. I can put the recipe here if you want to try it. TMI my poops those 1st days were hard as rocks, which was probably why I needed some help. Because I had my blood test and I'm not iron deficient.

mama to DS1 10/04 and DS2 9/07 and brand new DS3 5/29!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rype View Post
I just recently read that one can become constipated from iron deficiency. Which is already a worry in pregnancy. So anyway, I read that and I was concerned about my iron and constipated so I made and was taking the yellow dock iron tonic from Susun Weed's book Herbs for the Childbearing Year. Let me just tell you I drank 2 TBS. in water and I pooped in like an hour. It was awesome, I took it for three days in the 2 TBS dose. Pooped those three days and have been pooping since. I can put the recipe here if you want to try it. TMI my poops those 1st days were hard as rocks, which was probably why I needed some help. Because I had my blood test and I'm not iron deficient.
Really!? I had no idea iron deficiency can cause it. I had always had problems when I introduce iron supplements. Learn something new every day!

I seem to be doing better with the prune juice. Not 100% but getting there. Too bad the prune juice gives me wicked heartburn.

Oh, DS and the cat are also on the mend.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Hmm, I hadn't heard iron deficiency can cause constipation, but my MWs did warn me that most iron supplements cause it. I take a blend that contains herbs to help keep things moving, so I haven't had that problem. Here's what I'm taking:

http://www.amazon.com/Vitanica-Iron-...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Glad to hear the prune juice is doing its thing!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyPanky View Post
Really!? I had no idea iron deficiency can cause it.
Oh, DS and the cat are also on the mend.
Good news about the kid and the cat. How do you know a cat is constpated though I wonder?

I had never heard this infor either. I read this information in Aviva Jill Romms book The Natural Pregnancy Book. She simply writes, "iron deficiency in pregnancy, leads to constipation."

mama to DS1 10/04 and DS2 9/07 and brand new DS3 5/29!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rype View Post
Good news about the kid and the cat. How do you know a cat is constpated though I wonder?

I had never heard this infor either. I read this information in Aviva Jill Romms book The Natural Pregnancy Book. She simply writes, "iron deficiency in pregnancy, leads to constipation."
Re: the cat

he was vomiting more frequently so we took him to the vet and they were able to feel externally that his bowels were impacted.

User Tag List