Our little girl has FINALLY arrived! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kathryn Isabella Pearl finally made her way into the world on Friday, May 7th. She was born at home, in the water. This is our birth story. I was 40+6 and had been having pre-labor for a while. I woke up Friday morning around 5:30 AM and just felt like we were going to have our baby that day. I took a shower and had some nice morning time to myself. I went back to bed around 7:30 to get a little rest in case things started up. At 8:18 I had a really strong "rush" that woke me right away. I went to the bathroom and was surprised to find bloody show. I was really excited as my previous two births had started with my water breaking, so I had never experienced labor starting with bloody show and "rushes"! I tried not to get my hopes up too high as I had been thinking labor was starting several times over the previous two weeks. I laid back down, but ten minutes later had another strong "rush". I woke up my husband and he started to note how often the rushes came. They were coming regularly, every ten minutes and lasting for about a minute and a half, so we called our midwife and let her know what was happening. She said to keep her posted and let her know when we wanted her to come over. My 8 year old son was awake now and we went outside and walked around the yard and talked while my husband filled the birth pool. By 10:00 my rushes were coming every 3 minutes and lasing about a minute and fifty seconds. My 3 year old son was also awake now, and was excited about what was happening. We all just hung out as a family, listening to music while I was laying over my birth ball. The rushes felt pretty intense to me, but I was still dealing pretty well. We called our midwife around 11 and told her to head over. She lives about 45 minutes away. I was dying to get in the birth pool, but she said to hold off as long as I could. My husband was so wonderful through our birth! We were singing "open and love" through some of the more intense rushes. When my midwife arrived I got in the birth pool. What a relief! Oh, it felt so much better! Things did slow down a little, but it was a much welcome break. I tried different positions and found just leaning with my back against the side was the most comfortable position. The pressure was incredible. My bag of waters was still intact, and wow that was a different feeling from my other births! My midwife checked me around 2PM and I was 7 cm. She suggested getting out of the water and walking around, so that is what we did. My husband and I walked around the back yard while our beautiful children played. It was really wonderful. I decided to get back in the water around 3:15, and our midwife suggested breaking my bag of water. We decided not to. With my next rush I felt a big "pop"! My bag of water broke. That felt sooooo much better. I had a little calm before the storm. I knew it was not going to be long now!! I did have a couple moments of "I don't know if I can do this!", but I knew that meant I was really close to meeting our little girl! I got on my knees, and felt really pushy. I had maybe three rushes and felt her head come out. Then, I pushed a few more times and nothing was really happening. Our little girl was actually pretty big and her shoulders were actually a little stuck. Our midwife knew exactly what to do, and was so cool under pressure. It took about two minutes, and every ounce of push I had in me, but out little girl was born safely at 4:18 PM. Exactly 8 hours after my labor began. She weighed 9lbs 6oz and was 22.5 inches long! I had no tearing, which I think had everything to do with the water! Despite the shoulder issue our birth was everything I had wished for. It was an amazing experience, our third homebirth, and our first waterbirth. Our little baby Kathryn is doing amazing! She is a fantastic nurser, and her brothers can't get over having a little sister! I also just want to say that for me the water was incredibly helpful. If any of you mamas were debating about a waterbirth, I say go for it! Thanks for reading our story, and I wish you all beautiful births!!!

Wife to my beautiful Sky and SAHM to my three beautiful kids (12/01) , (3/07), and (5/10). We : : and. Peace to all of you wonderful mamas!
#2 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 AM

Congratulations! It sounds like you got just the birthing experience that you were hoping for.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#3 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 AM

Congrats! Sounds like a beautiful birth! Enjoy that baby!
#4 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 AM

What a wonderful birthing. I love that you knew that questioning yourself was a sign baby was coming soon. I can't say I thought that but then my labor was so fast I was in denial. I wish I had though, it might have helped a bit!

Congrats on a wonderful birthing and healthy mama and baby!

Any stitches?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#5 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 AM

What a wonderful birth story mama! congratulations and welcome Kathryn
#6 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Congratulations!! I am loving all these healthy, chubby babies!
#7 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 AM

congratulations!! Beautiful birth story

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#8 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Congratulations That's a great birth story! Enjoy your new little girl

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#9 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Welcome baby girl, what a great story mama, so glad she's here.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#10 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Congrats sounds like such a beautiful, family birth!

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

#11 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Isn't water amazing? Dude. It floored me. Can't wait to do it again.

Congratulations on such a lovely new addition. She has a beautiful name. Sounds like you had a pretty dreamy birth...living vicariously through you until my time comes!

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#12 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Perfect birth story! Have a wonderful babymoon!

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
#13 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Welcome to the world, baby girl! Congrats, mama--enjoy your babymoon

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#14 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM

Congrats Mama! Welcome to the world baby Kathryn! What a beautiful birth story. Waterbirth is the greatest isnt it? 3 of my 6 were waterbabies. So nice to see so many mamas birthing these big beautiful babies! Enjoy your babymoon!

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page