How are you feeling postpartum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious to see what symptoms and things that other mommas are feeling postpartum. I forgot what's normal and what's not, even though this is baby #3! Are you feeling euphoric? Overwhelmed? Are you up and around or resting and recovering?

I had a fairly exhausting birth and labor on Monday night, but other than some woozy moments in the days following, I've been feeling pretty good. I feel ok to be up and around at 4 days postpartum, but have times of the day when I just feel really lightheaded- and moments of exhaustion, but I've gotten a lot more rest since I've been home from the hospital

My pelvis and back are very sore, and my stitches are bothering me a little too- but that part is really no big deal. Emotionally, I am doing better than I expected- still in the euphoria stage and feeling very enlightened, happy, and grateful for my gorgeous baby girl. I'm also feeling surpisingly social and not minding having visitors, etc...

How about you?!

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 AM

I feel great, except for one thing - the gas. I am having the worst gas imaginable. It feels like contractions, but it's not afterpains. The afterpains were a whole different pain.

Is anyone else having this? I figure my intestines are bothered by moving back to their previous location and the hormonal changes, but this really needs to get better.

Attached2ethan - that is how I felt after my first birth. I was really tired and my muscles were fatigued - it was hard to stand up. This time I feel too good and I really want to go out and do things, but my midwives are making me nest.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm having some really intense uterine cramping whenever I nurse. I know it's good to stop the bleeding & to make my uterus contract to its original size, but Oh. My. God! It's just really hard to deal with.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Emotionally I'm just normal. I'm neither on a high nor a low. I'm
just my everyday self.

Physically... I had lots of gas too, that seems to have passed now. Stitches are sore every now and then. No after birth pains, never had then with ds either. What is really bugging me is my skin is breaking out like crazy! I had a small breakout before the big day but now it's bad. Idk if it's the hormones or the placenta I encapsulated but it's bugging me big time.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM

OPM - you are lucky! I had no afterpains with DS1, but I was warned that they would be bad with subsequent babies. I used heat to ease the pain - those Thermacare wraps really came in handy during the night.

Maybe my gas will go soon - I think your DD arrived around a week before my DS2. For now, I think I'll try some fennel tea.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 PM

I had my baby last friday (the 7th) so sorry I haven't been on for a while... but emotionally I am feeling pretty good. I was really, really exhausted for about 3 days after the birth because I hadn't had any sleep (well, only 6 hours) from Tuesday morning all through to the birth and after (so about 4 hours sleep in almost 4 days). I was on a high for the few days after but then I have settled into an emotionally stable state - I have been using my hypnobirthing techniques though, to get me through the exhaustion and to keep me sane lol, especially in the early stages of BFing.

I have been having gas too - oh boy! Oh well! I also had the most disgusting and terrifying thing happen 2 days PP... I was bending over to swaddle Isaac and my left knee buckled inwards, towards my other leg. I was holding Isaac when it happened but held on to him. I didn't know your knee could bend that way! It is because of all the relaxin hormones in my system... so ladies, watch your joints! Everything ended up being fine but I have been on crutches since. I got the okay from the Doc yesterday to walk without them, as long as I felt comfortable with the idea.

How long did it take you BTDT moms to feel somewhat 'normal' down there? I am doing my kegals but ugh! I would like to be able to walk around for longer than an hour without feeling the pressure...

Mom to Isaac Arthur (May 7, 2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 PM

I feel great physically! My stitches are not bothering me, I am not having any sort of discomfort. One of my breasts got really engorged when my milk came in and I could not get Lane to latch. I had to pump it for a few days and feed him off the other one until it went down. I also ended up having to buy a nipple popper outer to help Lane latch on that side. I have to say that it is the handiest thing ever.

Emotionally, I am a little bit of a train wreck. I am anxious and nervous about all sorts of things. I keep thinking about how I can get enough sleep to function safely, make it where there is not such a burden on my dh since has to go back to work next week. I am also very afraid of SIDS and anything else I can think of that could go wrong. I get weepy at night and feel very overwhelmed. I keep thinking about how things will go as Lane grows and wonder what it will be like if he got sick - how on earth would he breastfeed if he was congested? I am also thinking about when I go back to work and how that will go. Pretty much I am fretting about all sorts of things that are completely out of my control. I never realized that there would be so much pressure and worry. I am usually a "world will continue to turn" type person so this is very different for me.

I will say that breastfeeding is going very well. I take heart in my log sheet that shows all of the soiled and wet diapers that are being generated. It makes me feel successful at something. I am going to start working on some different holds and becoming less boppy dependent.

We also had a wonderful nap today. DH and I swaddled Lane and put him in our snuggle nest thing between us in bed. We slept for two hours (the time I am spacing between feedings). I was a little bit fretful but fell asleep fairly easily. At one point he pushed his hand out of the swaddle and there was some blanket up toward his face. I tucked it back and it was all good.

Send me some confidence vibes! I need to stop worrying so much about the what ifs!

Trying to make my grand scheme a reality!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM

My guy was born on the 5th. He's 10 days. Around when he was 6 days or a week my emotions got really intense. I'm really happy most of the time but at night I start getting anxious and overwhelmed. I'm feeling some mommy-guilt about not having as much time or attention for dd (who is 21 months) but DH has filled in he gaps and she seems fine. I'm worrying about things I don't normally even think about like what if something happens to me or dh, stuff like that. I'm also feeling all weepy about how quickly babyhood goes by. I want my kids to stay this little forever. I know this will pass though. It did with dd. By the time a month had come and gone, I was feeling pretty much myself. Hopefully that'll be the case this time.

Physically I'm feeling pretty good. Kind of sore but I'm off my pain pills and just on regular tylenol. This birth was MUCH easier on me and my body is doing pretty well Now if we could just sleep a liiiittle more, I'd be great
I'm enjoying my baby (and dd) and soaking up the affection of my husband who is being super supportive.

Hope all of you May Mamas are doing well.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Tomorrow is Wyatt's one-month anniversary so I'm four weeks postpartum. Once my whole pesky heart/fluid thing was taken care of I felt much better.

I did hurt longer and more intensely with this birth than with my first. In fact, I still have hours of extreme soreness in my pelvic/pubic bone. I've lost about 30 lbs which has made me so happy!

Breastfeeding has been going well. I am having supply issues with this pregnancy too and it's exacerbated by the fact that Wyatt eats almost every hour starting at 5 PM every night--it's exhausting! My right breast is such a low producer--frustrating! BUT Wyatt latches on fine and eats well so I am thankful for that.

Hormones...oh. my. god. I am all over the freakin' place. I get so mad at myself so easily if I feel like I am not handling DD well; she's definitely going through a transition and is so sweet in how she's trying to handle it; it breaks my heart. So I am crabby one minute then get ecstatic then blissed out then angry blah blah blah. I am over the hormonal swings.

Wyatt has just started the fussies, too, which means that I am constantly dealing with him and wondering what happened to my Quiet Wyatt. Oh but he's heaven...pure heaven.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Dell, let me say again how much I LOVE his name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
Wyatt eats almost every hour starting at 5 PM every night--it's exhausting!

Same here. Jack eats every hour or so from 6pm on. Tiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
Hormones...oh. my. god. I am all over the freakin' place. I get so mad at myself so easily if I feel like I am not handling DD well; she's definitely going through a transition and is so sweet in how she's trying to handle it; it breaks my heart. So I am crabby one minute then get ecstatic then blissed out then angry blah blah blah. I am over the hormonal swings.
Here too. My dd just turned 21 months and is handling this SO well. She's sweet and patient. Breaks my heart. My hormones are all over the place. I go from blissed out to frustrated to anxious to super thankful all in a matter of hours. I'm ready to feel normal again.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@ppy mama View Post
Dell, let me say again how much I LOVE his name!

Same here. Jack eats every hour or so from 6pm on. Tiring!

Here too. My dd just turned 21 months and is handling this SO well. She's sweet and patient. Breaks my heart. My hormones are all over the place. I go from blissed out to frustrated to anxious to super thankful all in a matter of hours. I'm ready to feel normal again.
Thanks for the name kudos! I love Jack, too. It was one of my top choices--such a great name.

It sounds like Jack and Wyatt need to hang out so they can have their evening meals together

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well! I think most of the emotional ups and downs are normal- I was in pure bliss until yesterday when I was so engorged that I couldn't get the baby latched on for over and hour (even after pumping) and I had my first teary-eyed breakdown- but it was shortlived and we're back to bliss today' LOL!

I was wondering though, does anyone else feel really weak and woozy when you're up and around? I don't remember feeling like this with the first two, and I'm only 6 days postpartum so maybe I'm expecting too much, too soon.

I just feel exhausted and like I want to lay down a lot of the time- but I also fel pretty good about half the time. Just wondering how much wooziness and for how long would be normal? I had a really long, hard pregnancy so I think it's going to take a while to recover.

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)

User Tag List