babywearing mamas - I need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is sort of cross posted from the baby wearing forum. I noticed that some of you plan to baby wear or are experienced so I hope you can help.

I made myself a gauze wrap that I have been wearing around the house for practice. I wear it like the video for a newborn shows on the wombfruit site. I feel like I am smothering my LO when I wear him. I have large breasts that are hanging south a bit even in the nursing bra. He ends up with his head between my breasts and it does not look like he has enough space around his nose to get fresh air. There is a lot of hot and smothery breath drifting up when he is in it.

Are there some videos somewhere that show some other techniques for newborns or should I give up the wrap and try something else. I want to get an ergo with the infant insert but wonder if it will be the same thing or if it is appropriate for a newborn.

Trying to make my grand scheme a reality!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM

I would suggest that you put him up higher in the wrap. It's not a must, but I like if i can put my lips on Lilah's head without much effort, then I know she's up high enough to breath easy....hope this helps

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#3 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
I would suggest that you put him up higher in the wrap. It's not a must, but I like if i can put my lips on Lilah's head without much effort, then I know she's up high enough to breath easy....hope this helps
I have to disagree - it is a MUST - you should always be able to slightly bend your neck and kiss the top of baby's head.

A great resource is www.thebabywearer.com.
#4 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM

I agree,...you should wear him higher. I have a moby, and it's similar in how you wear it to the wraps I saw on the wombfruit site...basically when you normally start with the moby around your belly button,...with a newborn I start it right under my breasts.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#5 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Yep. Like others said, when ds was a newborn in a wrap style his head was right under my chin so the side of his head reclined on top of my breasts and his face was totally exposed. I wore him vertically (reflux issues) belly to breast so his little bod sort of curled over my breasts and his legs were tucked up in the wrap. If his head seemed wobbly I would tuck just the back of his head a bit under one side of the wrap to steady it. I don't like the sound of hot smothery breath coming from his facial area.
#6 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Just wanted to ditto what everyone else said. It just takes practice. You'll get the hang of it soon!

2.2006 * DS 12.24.2006 * Newbie due 5.19.2010 * planning our first
#7 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup yup! Newborns are chesties they get the perch on top of the boobies and curl around them! Hike baby up there just like you hold him/her without a wrap.

Don't give up! It takes a bit of practice, but you will get it, keep asking questions and keep playing around with it-how and where you wrap it, tightness etc. I kind of became obsessed with mine for a few weeks until I felt like a master. It drove DH nuts but I was a wrap fanatic morning til night, videos, pictures, websites, forums, he'd come home and I'd make him "spot me" ...but now I feel really comfy in it and it's totally worth it to be able to trouble shoot my own issues on the go.

yay baby wearing!!! come out baby I need to wear you now!!! *pokes belly*

Midwife. Mama to five. Love is still the greatest.
#8 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 PM

ITA with what everyone said about the wrap.

Just also wanted to chime-in about the Ergo. I have one, and while I love it, I do not use it in the summer. It's just too darn hot. I live in the south and won't use mine until Sept. at the earliest. By the time you're ready to use the Ergo, your LO likely won't need the infant insert, so you might want to save your money on that one!

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#9 of 11 Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 AM

The Moby has videos on their website I think. The Ergo Baby site also had safety things that I found helpful though I'm going to use the Moby.

The big safety things I remember are, a finger width of space between the chin and chest, making sure babe is tight enough against you (if you push on his/her back and there was space between your tummies, support babe's back more firmly), not having the fabric over LO's head as a newborn, and being very vigilant (as you are!).
#10 of 11 Old 05-23-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I took you guy's advice and also went ahead and ordered a real Moby rather than using the gauze wrap I made.

Here we are with the Moby up high with my LO in nice and snug. Does it look correct to you guys? He is content, breathing OK and seems to have plenty of clearance for breathing.

One thing I thought about was how long it is OK to wear him like this. I know that with the wombies and miracle blankets I ordered, they say not to swaddle for more than 8 hours a day so you don't impair motor development. Wearing my LO seems to be quite a bit like swaddling so I don't want to overdo it. It is handy since I have made dinner and am sitting here typing while wearing him.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/legado/crop.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/legado/crop1.jpg

Trying to make my grand scheme a reality!

#11 of 11 Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Looks perfect! I have a Wombfruit that I haven't gotten the hang of yet so I'm using the Moby instead. I have to vote against the Ergo just b/c I hate the infant insert so much. They're fantastic for older babies without the insert. Have you seen the Beco with the newborn insert? DD doesn't dig it yet but I'm still trying!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page