BP question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before I was pregnant my BP was usually anywhere from 110/70 to 120/80, which is normal. For the last couple of months it has been around 130/90, or slightly higher at the beginning of an appt, but it goes back down to 130/90 by the end of the appointment.

My mw was concerned about it despite the fact that it isn't really that much higher than normal and sent me in for a blood test to check liver and kidney function. The tests came back normal. No headaches, no weird vision, no excessive swelling.
Despite that, she still might make me come in just for BP checks. I kind of think she's overreacting. She was going to check with the OB and call me later.
I'm concerned that they're going to start talking about inducing me or something, which I don't want to do, and I don't think there would be any reason for it.
Anyone have any experience with this? My BP is not that high.

Grad student Expecting #1 due date May 30th
#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM

my blood pressure is generally somewhere in the same range (110/70-120/80) for most of pregnancy (and even slightly lower at the beginning/when i'm not preg) but in the last month or so it has gone up to 130/90 BOTH times. my m/w was not concerned at all and both times i have had healthy pregnancies, labors, and babies. hth.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#3 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

That does help. I'm not quite sure why they want to do this, but they just called and they want to do some home monitoring of my BP and pee? I mean, my blood tests they just did came back completely normal. Now they want to do daily monitoring of my BP and all this crap like a week and a half from my due date? My BP hasn't changed for over a month. I'm kind of pissed about it actually.
I mean sure, I would want to know if something were wrong, but this seems like it's just likely to make me more stressed out and make it go up, you know?
*sigh* As if there aren't enough things to try and make you worry toward the end of pregnancy, they have to add stuff like this? I've been trying very hard to maintain my easygoing and zen attitude about everything, but if they bring up induction because of this, I'll be pissed.

Grad student Expecting #1 due date May 30th
#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 03:56 PM

it does seem like it could make your BP go up just to be stressed about all of this. i'm sorry you have to deal with it. keep in mind you do not have to consent to an induction if you feel deeply that everything is fine. hopefully all their tests will make them feel better however and won't come to that.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#5 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn_warbler View Post
my blood pressure is generally somewhere in the same range (110/70-120/80) for most of pregnancy (and even slightly lower at the beginning/when i'm not preg) but in the last month or so it has gone up to 130/90 BOTH times. my m/w was not concerned at all and both times i have had healthy pregnancies, labors, and babies. hth.

I'm exactly the same way. Plus sometimes it's even higher because I have white coat syndrome. My midwife wouldn't even blink an eye at your numbers especially if it went back down by the end of the appt. I know my blood pressure goes up just from being nervous about what my numbers are going to be.

As long as I'm not spilling protein, excessive swelling, etc she's fine with it. I do check my BP pressure at home just in case and report my numbers to her as well because they are significantly lower at home. My midwife from my last pregnancy had me do the same thing. Take it at home if possible and see if it's lower at home. Maybe they'll be okay with you doing this if they threaten induction?

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#6 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgal View Post
I mean sure, I would want to know if something were wrong, but this seems like it's just likely to make me more stressed out and make it go up, you know?
Yes, this can make your BP go up (a little), but it can't put protein in your urine and that's what they're looking for. It seems inconvenient, I'm sure, but (and I speak from experience) you DON'T want to be dealing with pre-e, eclampsia, or HELPP syndrome--especially not to be blindsided by it. I say go along with BP checks and urine tests; they don't hurt you or take much time/effort and can give a wealth of information. Keep in mind that you don't have to have EVERY symptom to have pre-e.

Then, if things continue to come back normal (and I hope they do!!), you'll have even more of a leg to stand on against induction (if it comes up).

HTH!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#7 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyag View Post

I'm exactly the same way. Plus sometimes it's even higher because I have white coat syndrome. My midwife wouldn't even blink an eye at your numbers especially if it went back down by the end of the appt. I know my blood pressure goes up just from being nervous about what my numbers are going to be.

As long as I'm not spilling protein, excessive swelling, etc she's fine with it. I do check my BP pressure at home just in case and report my numbers to her as well because they are significantly lower at home. My midwife from my last pregnancy had me do the same thing. Take it at home if possible and see if it's lower at home. Maybe they'll be okay with you doing this if they threaten induction?
Agree with both these mamas. I was really worried, too, that I was going to be put on bedrest or they were going to induce me/talk c-section but nothing was ever mentioned.

Breathe deeply!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#8 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM

I'd say to go ahead and do the testing. Its non-invasive and it might give you clear defense against the induction plot just in case it rears its ugly head. Sorry this is happening though. I had a bp spike at my last appt up to 135 when I've been in the teens through the rest of the appts and my midwife just noted it and kept rolling. It does seem like yours is a little extra nervous.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#9 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Having just went through this myself and ended up with pre-eclampsia, I would say that your midwife is just being cautious because hypertension in pregnancy can become very serious very quickly.

My normal BP also usually runs in the 110/60 to 120/70 range but around 34 weeks it started going up to 130/80 and stayed that way for several weeks before suddenly spiking up to 150/100 at week 37 and I had to go on bedrest. Luckily my water broke on its own that week and I delivered the baby- we had been doing all the labs at my midwifes office since week 34 and they were always negative, and then the day I delivered my baby, my uic acid was high as well as my liver enzymes- resulting in a diagnosis of pre-eclampsia and a BP in labor if 162/117. Luckily my daughter was born quickly and both of us did okay, but she suffered some mild growth restriction as a result of weeks of high BP and 9 days postpartum my BP is still running high.

I think that being cautious, noting my blood pressure, being on bedrest, and being pro-active is what kept us healthy, because I never really felt that bad even when it was really high. I hope in your case that it's nothing, but I think your midwife is just looking out for your and baby' safety

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page