Low-amniotic fluid concerns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM

aww wow I could've written your post

my first dd i was induced for low fluid and I totally "get you about not wanting to go through another pit-induced birth without epidural.. that pitocin is EVIL and cruel to our precious bodies

I actually have a post-date biophysical profile and nst tomorrow morning as well and my usually no-intervention midwife was asking me if they found low fluid would i consider induction and i asked her opinion and she said yes.. UGH

with dd1m they gave me this big long speech about all the things that *will* be wrong with herm and she was and is perfectly healthy--i dont really buy this 'low fluid' stuff

sigh.. I'm sad that I even reached this point where the 'protocol' dictates I should have any of this stuff done, even the ultrasound is an intervention to me, because that's when they start 'seeing' this and that and saying there could be a problem

I'm sorry I dont have advice, but I get it.
Praying we go into labour today and avoid all this drama

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 05-19-2010, 03:58 PM

This is probably a fluke and mostly irrelevant, but I figured I'd mention it anyway just in case. I was being monitored for a number of issues from 30 weeks onwards, and low amniotic fluid was one of them. I'm a water-only kind of person, and I drink tons of it. At one point I noticed that I was getting nauseous after drinking water, almost as if I was drinking it faster than my stomach could handle, but I was still thirsty. I picked up some Pedialyte and started drinking a couple of glasses a day. That got expensive fast, so I switched to watered-down Gatorade. I've been doing this for about a month now and my fluid levels have been excellent. It's probably just a coincidence but I'm keeping it up just in case! Good luck and I hope things sort themselves out so you don't have to worry about making that decision.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7swans View Post
This is probably a fluke and mostly irrelevant, but I figured I'd mention it anyway just in case. I was being monitored for a number of issues from 30 weeks onwards, and low amniotic fluid was one of them. I'm a water-only kind of person, and I drink tons of it. At one point I noticed that I was getting nauseous after drinking water, almost as if I was drinking it faster than my stomach could handle, but I was still thirsty. I picked up some Pedialyte and started drinking a couple of glasses a day. That got expensive fast, so I switched to watered-down Gatorade. I've been doing this for about a month now and my fluid levels have been excellent. It's probably just a coincidence but I'm keeping it up just in case! Good luck and I hope things sort themselves out so you don't have to worry about making that decision.
I know how you feel re: nauseous from all the water. I may try some watered down labor aide instead of Gatorade (just can't drink that stuff). Thanks for the idea!

Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 PM

well my nst/bpp went well, lots of fluid, baby moving etc

but i did get talked into doing a stretch and sweep and now i'm regretting it and wishing i just let things happen on their own.. i agreed to it b/c according to protocol she has to consult with an OB on monday who will then recommend a foley catheter and i'm not down with that, but i'm so sad that I didn't listen to my gut and say no to all of it

so far no cramping nothingm so i have 4 days before the next nst/ultrasound.

how are things going with you hun??

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear the tests went well, neveryoumindthere. We are scheduled for the same on Monday morning. Hoping, hoping baby will come before then. I had one big contraction last night but nothing since. Still drinking lots and lots of water and staying distracted with my 4yo. My husband is convinced tomorrow is the day (mostly because a favorite song of his has the date 5.22 in it ).

I saw your other post about contx. Hope they pick up again and your baby arrives soon!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM

What's the 5/22 song? Tomorrow is dd's 4th birthday!

Here's my story with her: We had a planned homebirth, and I had no ultrasounds until I was 10 days past 40 weeks. Non-stress test was great, but the docs were concerned about "dangerously low amniotic fluid" and wanted to induce me.

I wasn't surprised, as that hospital induces automatically at 41 weeks--yikes! But of course I was concerned, and called my midwife. Now, to kill time, I had been teaching a farm field trip (my job) all morning. I didn't drink at all as there was only a port-a-potty there, and dumb me didn't even think to chug any liquid before the u/s! My midwife said "I know this baby, this is not a dry baby", and said I should drink a ton of water and get checked again in 2 hours. The docs refused, but I trusted my mw and went home. Babe was born 14 dayse past 40 weeks, with plenty of fluid. (I sent the hospital doc a birth announcement; he was so clueless about homebirth!)

So in my case I DID just need to drink more. Your situation sounds different as it's your hb mw who is concerned, and you are drinking a ton. If I were you I would drink Recharge (the Knudsen natural gatorade) or coconut juice. Lately I am endlessly thirsty and only this stuff helps; water doesn't cut it.

Best wishes to you mamma!!! I bet your babe is just fine and plenty juicy. But of course you need to be safe. Try some extra hydrating products in addition to regular water.

Looking forward to hearing about your great homebirth!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamsia View Post
If I were you I would drink Recharge (the Knudsen natural gatorade) or coconut juice. Lately I am endlessly thirsty and only this stuff helps; water doesn't cut it.

Best wishes to you mamma!!! I bet your babe is just fine and plenty juicy. But of course you need to be safe. Try some extra hydrating products in addition to regular water.

Looking forward to hearing about your great homebirth!
Golden Smog, "5.22.02". Happy bday to your daughter!

I added coconut water to my H2O regiment after reading your message before the weekend. Thanks for the reminder! I had some on hand for during labor to recharge, but didn't think to drink it now, ahead of the birth and especially tomorrow's biophysical. Pregnancy brain!

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Good on drinking the coconut water and recharge. But make sure you restock for the birth, too!!!

Hope it's helping!

User Tag List