Sweeping the Membranes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I went to the OB yesterday and he said that the baby was vertex. I also had a nurse check the night before at a birth class. She thought the same. Baby is still high though. I keep saying to them, yeeeees, but isn't that normal in 2nd babies?

The funny thing is that I still have a big hard bump to the upper right of my navel, like I did before the version. Now they say it is the butt.

Anyway, we are tentatively back at the birth center. I have an appointment on Mon. If the MW thinks that the baby is *still* head down she wants to sweep the membranes to get things going. I'm all for that. I can't stand the uncertainty anymore!

For those of you that had it done, did it work? How long until labor started or baby was born?

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#2 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM

I had it done with my first and it didn't work at all. She came a week+ later. My Dr offered to do it this next Tues if I'm still preg, as I'd show 40+3 by her books. Right, wrong or indifferent, if I am still pregnant then, I will absolutely consent. I know there are mixed opinions on it. I do think that much of the time it helps either get things going or progress things a bit. I think my Dr said if you have no real action between 48-72hrs then it probably won't start things. I don't think I'd do it if I were only like 1cm or something, but hanging out at 4cm, I feel pretty good about.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
#3 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM

I had it done with my 2nd and she wasn't born until 5 days later anyway. I swore i'd never do it again as it was EXTREMELY uncomfortable (read: painful)

well, ya.. i had it done yesterday, went against my gut feeling, and had 2 hrs of ctx last night, an hour this morning, lost my plug and now nothing at all.

sorry that doesnt help, just my experience

edited to add: the good thing about having it done yesterday is that it solidified for me the reason why I will never do it again. ever.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 01:38 PM

DDC crashing here! I would avoid it. It's an Intervention just like any other. I had it with my first and it started prolonged prodromal labour.... And it hurt a lot!! just my two cents, and I know everyone's body will react differently, but after what happened to me I try to advise people against them.
Posted via Mobile Device
#5 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 01:57 PM

When researching it with my first I noticed many mixed opinions on the discomfort level. Some find it very painful and others not so much. Mine was no more uncomfortable than a normal PAP or something. Admittedly, I have a pretty durable cervix and not much I find really painful as far as exams and such.

I totally agree w/ PP that it is an intervention, so you have to weigh your personal situation. I know that after your successful version and hoping your babe stays head down for your birth center birth, the stakes feel pretty high. Like anything, you are educating yourself and make a choice based on your situation. For me, I felt good about my choice to do it w/ my DD1, given the situation. I decline w/ DD2 because it was a different situation.

Good luck either way!!
#6 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM

I just wanted to chime in and add that my babe was still 'up high' the day before he was born. He's my fourth pregnancy.

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
#7 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm not in your DDC, but saw this is in new posts.

I had it done with my first pregnancy, I was 39w 5d - I'm not sure why I had it done, my doctor didn't really encourage it or anything...but I digress....it worked for me. I thought it was uncomfortable and that was it. It was done at about 4 pm, by 5 I was having contractions, by 11 I was SURE I was in labor, and my ds was born at 7:40 a.m.

I also had it done with my second pregnancy, twice. With my DD, I had it done at the (different) doctor's suggestion - they feared she was small and that I didn't have enough fluid, plus I was past my due date (she was 10 days overdue when she was born with plenty of fluid, and weighing 9 pounds 2 ounces!) - both times hurt like heck and didn't do anything at all in terms of "starting" labor.

I probably wouldn't do it again.
#8 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Add me to the club of 1. It hurt. 2. It didn't work.

Had it done with my first three kids...prior to learning the ways of the crunchies and finding myself at these here boards.

Would I do it again? Yes, but only IF I were 41-42 weeks...all my previous times were 39 weeks...not even full term. AND I'm not sure sure the OB's doing the sweeps really knew what the heck they were doing anyway, and they certainly didn't use the gentle hands my midwife does.

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page