opinions on hair dye - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i am 39 weeks, and been wanting to dye my hair pretty much since i found out i was pregnant. i've held off all this time, but now i'm thinking about birth photos and everything, and wanting to go ahead and do it. i've ready that the major concerns are early in prengnancy. i'm thinking if its a well-ventilated area, it couldn't do any harm, since baby's already fully developed.

i know i shouldn't be using those gross chemicals, pregnant or not. but i do.

what would you do? anybody been dying their hair later in pregnancy.
#2 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 12:17 PM

i would do it. I wish I had redone my roots before the baby's birth. I have zero time now and no opportunity to do it.

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

#3 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM

I have no problem dying my hair. I hold off from doing it till I'm in the second trimester. I've done it through ds and dd2's pregnancies. I even got my obs ok. I go for the full on permanent color, some moms go for organic or temp color but I'm ok with the heavy duty stuff. Just make sure the room has good ventalation.

BFPChart2.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Ha ha, I am actually sitting here with a giant pile of henna on my head! Unfortunately you cannot put henna on chemically dyed hair, but I just thought it was a funny coincidence.

I've been using henna every month of this pregnancy and did the same when I was preg with my son. I'm off to redo my pedicure now.

It's funny how we are so concerned with looking well put together when all the DH's will happily appear smiling away in all the photos with stubble, messy hair and that man-o-pot they've been growing the whole pregnancy.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#5 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM

I did not dye my hair during the pregnancy, but at 37 weeks, I went into the salon and had a nice cut and color figuring it would be great timing. I'm so glad I did it. I think you're fine now.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 PM

You can put henna over chemically dyed hair as long as you use a good quality of henna that doesn't have metals added to it. Although, you would still want to do a hair test to be sure it doesn't make funny colors. I've been doing henna for a couple of years, but when I first did it I had been blue/pink, then bleached, and then dyed burgundy. I waited two weeks after the chemical dye to henna.

I have roots that are about a half an inch long right now and I want to henna my hair but I can't bend over the tub to wash it out I don't think.

I was thinking after the baby is born I would go get all of my hair chopped off and bleach the roots. It would look like fire for a few months, and then once the henna is gone I could go pink or something again.

That's the main problem with henna. It's a commitment for sure. It does not come out, even with bleach. You pretty much have to grow it out or cut it off.

I don't think dying your hair while pregnant is a problem at all though. I say go for it.

Grad student Expecting #1 due date May 30th
#7 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 PM

I used semi-permanent during the 1st tri and permanent after that. I last did it at 39 weeks in preparation for photos too. I'm glad I did - DD was a week late and my roots are showing already! I've asked an OB and a MW and they both said it was fine.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#8 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 AM

Depends on the dye, too. My hairdresser is actually pregnant now, but in her salon, they use super "groovy" hair dyes that are non-toxic, or whatever. Even the bleach they use is citrus-based. So, I wouldn't have a problem dying my hair in any trimester using her stuff.

But, regardless, I bet you're fine now.

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, mamas! i'm doing it. i forgot to mention that like some of you, i think that after the baby's here, i will have less of a chance to do it. i'm doing the haircut too. it's a good time for pampering. 39 weeks is just...well, most of you know...not fun. it's so hard to wait knowing that he could literally be here in a few hours, or it could still be 3 weeks. i need a good pick me up! off topic, but it did help that FINALLY hubby wanted to DTD last night. i've been on his case all week b/c it was our anniversary, and i feel like a beached whale, and he was just not interested. now i feel all sexy-pregnant again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page