Perineal tear healing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sorry if this is way TMI for people, but I am needing some wise words from mamas who have been through this before. I am going to call my midwife once it's a little later in the morning, but I am starting to feel worried.

After my birth, when my midwife checked me she said I had a small first-degree tear on my perineum and that it should heal well if I keep my legs together. I've been doing that, but it took a few days before I really felt up to having a look to see what was really going on down there. The first couple of days I was really swollen and so I was not surprised that there were bits that seemed out of place and "sticking out." Now that the swelling has gone down I've realized that the tear is much bigger than I thought it was. It doesn't go quite all the way to my anus, but almost. The worrisome part for me is that when I tore, tissue from one side of my perineum sort of ripped off, causing a flap that hangs down in the middle. It doesn't seem like that flap is going to be able to heal back on! I'm worried that when it heals, the two parts will heal separately and I will always have this big annoying flap and an enlarged opening to my vagina.

Is this a common sort of tear? Is it something that has healed for others in the past without stitches? I'm wondering if maybe I should see my doctor and get it stitched up...

Me: 27, DW: 31, Mamas to G: 5-17-10 luxlove.gif

My sweet surro-babe was born on 6-27-12 coolshine.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 12:08 PM

I have no idea if it's normal, but if it doesn't look right to you then go get it checked out. I had a labial tear during ds birth that also tore an artery. They tried to stitch me up & then send me home. Also telling me to keep my legs closed to control the bleeding. I asked to be transferred to the hospital to get the artery repaired. Best decision I made. 2 weeks later and everything is healing well. I say, trust your instincts!
Posted via Mobile Device

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 12:18 PM

I just had my 1st birth in March. I also had a perineal tear with no stitches and I know what you mean by the ripped tissue flap thingy. My MW called it a skin tag. I'm used to my perineum being smooth, so that tear worried me, but it's perfectly normal. After the swelling goes down and it heals some, the flap and tear will get much smaller. Mine has, but it is healing kinda open, so my perineum is not going to look the same as it was before. I was told by 2 mw's and an ob that no stitches are needed, it's just takes some time to heal.

Mine is taking awhile to heal. It's alot better, but still not complete. I went in office after my homebirth as well and was told the same thing about the healing and what not.
HTH!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#4 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just spoke to my midwife and she suggested that I have DW adhere the "flap" with skin adhesive. Brilliant... and much better than stitches.

Me: 27, DW: 31, Mamas to G: 5-17-10 luxlove.gif

My sweet surro-babe was born on 6-27-12 coolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Liquid Bandage works wonders, as well as clear nail polish!
One that sounds odd, but also works great is fresh seaweed (can be hard to find, but local health food stores may have it.) It can sting a bit because of the salt in there, but it works very well. You simply cut a small strip and lay it on the tear and replace it with another when it is completely dry. Ive used all these methods when I was apprenticing and seen great results.

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page