Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Birth of Levi Jude Monarch
Born 5/19/10, 4:25pm
7lbs, 10oz 19in.

I really need to start this story at my doctor’s appointment the previous day. I asked for an internal exam to see if there were any signs that labor might be imminent. With my previous pregnancies I was dilated to a three for at least a week before labor started. I almost cried when he told me I was between 1-2 cm dilated and 30% effaced. Then I did go home and cry, thinking I would be miserably pregnant forever. I was seriously pissed off, which strikes me as funny now.
The next morning I woke up when Keith was leaving for work, around 8:00am. When I went to the bathroom to pee it sure seemed like I peed a lot, which was kinda weird because when you’re nine months pregnant your bladder just doesn’t hold that much. As soon as I stood up I felt like I had to go again and it trickled down my leg a little. That was my first clue that my water might have broken. I caught Keith right as he was leaving and told him to hold on for a few minutes, that my water might be leaking. Sure enough a few seconds later it started gushing out. Finally! Today was going to be baby day!! I hadn’t had any contractions at that point so we just hung out around the house for awhile and I packed my hospital bag while Keith made the phone calls.
After a few hours I had a couple of very mild contractions and we decided to head for my mother’s house and hang out there for awhile. She lives closer to the hospital than we do; we live a half hour away from it. At my mom’s house my contractions were still way too mild and too far apart to warrant going to the hospital yet. I called labor and delivery to let them know that I was going to be coming in eventually, but not until I had a clear labor pattern. The nurse told me I had to come in right away because my membranes were ruptured. I argued with her a little bit about not being in labor yet, but finally agreed to go in and get checked after I was done visiting with my mom and sister.
Somewhere around 1:00 we went to the hospital to get assessed. The nurse checked me and said I was dilated between 3-4cm and 80% effaced, which meant I had a long ways to go yet. The contraction monitor was showing mild, irregular contractions coming around 6-10 minutes apart. After a while the intensity of the contractions started to pick up and I finally had to focus on breathing through them. Unfortunately, they were still too far apart to make me think a baby was coming soon. Sometime around 4:00 I told Keith that I was going to go relax in the tub and suggested that he leave for a while to go hang out with our daughter Leela at my mom’s. He was apprehensive about leaving, but I assured him that this baby was not being born any time soon and I still had hours to go. My last contractions before he left had been 16 minutes apart and I was getting concerned that if things didn’t pick up soon that they would want to kick start things with Pitocin.
As soon as Keith left I got in the tub and it was soooo wonderfully relaxing. As I felt my body go limp, I had my first major contraction. Being in the water made it so easy to relax and get through. I was visualizing floating in the ocean with the suns rays warming me when the next contraction came. I rolled over in the tub and let my belly float, which took away the pressure. I noticed that I started to vocalize through it, and thought briefly about getting out and having the nurse check me before I went much farther. As I was turning back over I was hit immediately with another contraction right after the last one and felt pushy with a great deal of pressure. I reached down to feel between my legs and my hand felt the hard surface of my baby’s head crowning. I looked around for the call button to get a nurse and it was on the other side of the bathroom, way out of my reach. Another contraction hit hard and my body started pushing. I applied gentle counter pressure to keep from tearing and out came the baby’s head. In amazement, I felt his head and face in my hands under the water. One more contraction and two pushes later I delivered his shoulders and the rest of his body slid out. I pulled the baby up out of the water to my chest and just stared at him, thinking “Holy shit, did that just really happen?” We got out of the tub and went and laid down in bed where I pressed the call button for the nurse. She came walking in to the room with a smile, asking what she could do for me. The look on her face when she realized I was holding a baby was priceless!
Complete but organized chaos started happening. Nurses came running into the room, doctors, the neonatologist and NICU staff were paged STAT. Apparently it’s frowned upon to birth your own baby at Marquette General, especially in the water. They cut the cord and snatched the baby from my chest while I watched helplessly from the bed, being held hostage by an undelivered placenta. He wasn’t breathing well on his own and needed quite a bit of help to get going. It seemed like an eternity, but about a half hour later he pinked up and started breathing on his own. One of the nurses called Keith for me and let him know that the baby was born. It was only about 40 minutes before hand that he had left after I assured him the baby wouldn’t be born for hours. He was a tad surprised as well, to say the least.
Never in a million years could I have imagined Levi’s birth happening this way. By my estimates, I spent maybe 15 minutes in active labor and 5 minutes in transition. Crazy!
We went home the next day. Except for a touch of jaundice from being born too fast, Levi is doing perfect and is already a champion nurser.

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 03:08 PM

DDC Congrats mama what a wonderful birth story!!

mama to 4 kiddos, wife to one awesome man!  DH of 13yrs, DS 5/01,dd 5/05, DS 3/08, DS 6/10
Old 05-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Wow, amazing! Congrats, Mama!

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM

I am learning over and over and yet over again how truly unpredictable birth is! Wow mama, you did a great job! What a story!
Welcome Levi!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
Old 05-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Congrats Mama! Happy Birthday baby Levi!
What a wonderful story Mama. Waterbirth is simply awesome isnt? Glad you are doing well. Enjoy your babymoon!

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM

You UC'ed in a HOSPITAL!!!! Priceless!

Congratulations, mama, and way to have a special birth!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 05-22-2010, 06:44 PM

That is a crazy AMAZING story mama, you go girl!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Wow, oh wow! How amazing!

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post

Seriously!! This is awesome, love it! Congratulations.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM

That is an AMAZING birth story. I'm floored.

Congratulations!

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Congratulations on Levi's birth!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:

What and amazing birth!!! You'll have that story for years to come Congratulations mama! and welcome Levi
Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:

LOL I love it! That is something some women plan to do and can't manage to pull off! Congrats on a peaceful birthing!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM

Wow! what a great story!

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 AM

Oh wow that is nuts!!! I have never read a birth story like that and I have read a lot!! WOW! Glad you both are doing great! Congrats!!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 AM

amazing and beautiful! congrats and enjoy your baby moon!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:

love it mama!

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 05-23-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It really does crack me up to no end whenever I think about it that way.
The funnier part is that my doctors office has a reputation on the OB ward as having patients that are 'trouble', you know- the kind that have doulas and such and want to be in charge of their own births. Guess I didn't do much to help that

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM

I think that's the best birth story I have ever heard! Totally amazing!!!!! You rock.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC...

Congratulations! What an awesome story! Seriously, there aren't TOO many people who UC in a hospital. I'm sorry your DH missed it (my kids missed my last birth with the same reassurance that it would be HOURS), but what a cool, calm, and peaceful way to welcome your son!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Awesome, fantastic, amazing!!! Wow, I can only hope my waterbirth goes so well.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM

DDCC to say WOW!!! What an awesome birth (but I'm sorry that the hospital staff panicked so much about it )

Welcome Levi!!

P.S. I'm a former yooper, went to Tech!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post

P.S. I'm a former yooper, went to Tech!
Small world!

User Tag List