Baby Boy finally arrived! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After posting here late Wednesday night about finally feeling a little more calm/peaceful about still being pregnant, I got into bed around midnight. I had some contractions, but nothing different than what I'd been having for hours every night, so I didn't even bother to look at the clock. Around 1:30 AM, I woke to a very strong contraction and got up to go pee. While I was in the bathroom, contractions started coming 3-5 min apart and STRONG. I decided to get dressed and go into the living room to time them for a while longer and decide whether I was in labor. Being "not-quite-4-cm" at my appt earlier that day and having a history of quick labor, I needed to decide quickly!
I knelt on the floor by the coffee table and timed contractions for about 30 min, 3-5 min apart. I woke my husband up and he dressed quickly. I called my grandmother who lives across the street to come and stay with the rest of the children. We left around 2:30 and the contractions had spaced out to about 7 min apart. We got into a room at the hospital around 3:15 and they were back to 3-5 min. The nurse checked me and I was 5cm. The noises I was making scared her, I guess; she decided to go ahead and bring in the delivery table/equipment before completing my admittance procedures!
I had the most painful contractions and WORST back labor I've ever had! I sat on the bed to do my required 15 min EFT tape and to get the stupid heplock done. They put it where I specified--on the side of my arm--but it was just a waste of time/effort/supplies/$$. Anyway, by 3:45 I was standing, hugging my husband and hanging from his neck during contractions. Around 4:15, I decided to try an old standby from previous labors--leaning over the tall bedtable--but that was HORRID! My back was killing me during the contractions and I couldn't do anything to relieve it in anyway! My husband held me through the next 3 or 4 contractions, then I moved into an all-fours position on the bed. That wasn't much better. Then I moved the head of the bed all the way up and draped my arms over it, still on my knees (facing the head of the bed). That felt so much better, but still extremely intense. I noticed my groans were getting louder and during the next contraction, I felt myself pushing. When that one was over, I told the nurse I needed to push and she asked if I wanted her to check me. Uhhh, no. I need to push. I didn't like the way it felt when I pushed on all-fours, so I put the head of the bed down and lay down on my side. The nurse did check me and found me to be complete. Really, now?! The next contraction came on and I started to push. By this time, the nurse was in a tizzy trying to get things together and had called another nurse in since she had called the dr when I said I needed to push and she wasn't there yet. (Of course, that had only been about 3 min before!) When I started pushing, the other nurse pulled the bottom part of the bed off and pulled out a stirrup to which I yelled NO!! But, then I put my "top" leg up on it and was pleased with how that felt; I didn't have to hold it up or tell my husband how to hold it. The dr came in right around that time and hurriedly threw the gown on and pulled on some gloves. She sat down just as I started my second push and my water broke and splashed all over her!!
Baby felt HUGE! I pushed the third time and his head slowly emerged. Direct OP, no wonder I had such back labor!! Now I knew I was almost done, but I started to feel like I couldn't do this! This baby was HUGE! I started yelling "OUT! OUT!" and everyone giggled. Looking back, I laugh, too. One more push, and he was out and I rolled onto my back so she could put him on my belly. It was 5:02 AM, May 20th. His cord was short, so he was pretty low on me; he looked so little compared to how big he felt! After the cord stopped pulsing, Corey cut it and I was able to pull him up closer to me and really check him out. He was covered in vernix which surprised me since he was 40+4.
I was bleeding a lot, so Corey took the baby over to the scales where they weighed him (8 lbs 3 oz, my biggest baby by 1/2 lb!) while the dr ordered a shot of methergine for me. I was very shaky, but once my bleeding slowed a little, I got the baby back and nursed him to help my uterus clamp down... Boy did it ever!! Wow the afterpains!! I ended up with 3 more doses of methergine (oral) to keep my uterus contracted and left the hospital on time with no lingering issues. The dr said she had never attended a birth where she had used so few supplies and equipment and the nurse said it was her second time attending a natural birth and she had never seen a baby so calm and so eager to nurse!
We finally named the baby later on in the day; his name is Pascal Dean. We are totally in love, of course, and are settling into life as a family of seven!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 08:49 PM

congrats! welcome to the world, pascal!!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 PM

Well done, mama!!! Woohoo! Welcome Pascal

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Yay Mama!!Congrats!!! Happy Birthday baby boy! We've been following eachother's progress for awhile now and I was thinking of you these past few days. So glad that your little man is here, and sounds like you had a great birth in spite of the bleeding. And yes, sadly, the more kiddos you have, the worse those afterpains are; I *hate* them! Rest and rejoice. Enjoy your babymoon! (I am still hanging in there at 41wks today..... hopefully Im next?? fingers crossed.)

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Well, you rock! That's all there is to it. Congratulations on your new boy!

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy this time bonding with Pascal.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Welcome baby Pascal!

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM

congratulations Darci, Pascal sounds wonderful!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Congratulations Mama!! Welcome Pascal

awesome birth story! have a wonderful babymoon
Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!!

And hoping your time comes soon, sweet tart!!!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
Old 05-28-2010, 07:01 AM

Congratulations mama! Welcome Pascal!

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40

User Tag List