Typical newborn behavior/ issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my baby is sleepy all. The. Time. I know newborns sleep a lot but this seems excessive. She is maybe alert 10 minutes out of everyday. When she is asleep she seems so lethargic and limp. She rarely cries, only when she is starving or misses being close to me.

Also she has a little eye gunk everyday. My mom told me she thinks it's an infection but I don't think so. They eye gunk is white not yellow or green. It's hardly anything at all. Her eyes are not crusty or stuck with gunk. They are not swollen or red or pink. It just looks like typical eye gunk when you first wake up. And considering how much she sleeps I'm not surprised by it. Would you be worried? I gave her a good bath and washed her face and everything for the first time and I'm gonna see if it comes back worse. If she keeps getting it I think I'll try puttin. Breastmilk in here eyes but I'll see. Does that sound ok? At her 2 week appointment on Friday the dr didn't mention anything regarding her eyes...

BFPChart2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 PM

DDCC

Sounds like my son. He slept a lot...in fact, we joked that he was like a kitten for the first few weeks of life because he never opened his eyes more than a sliver!
The BM in the eye is fine. DS had yellow stuff in his eye at one point...the doc said it was normal. *shrugs*

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 PM

The eye gunk is possibly from a blocked tear duct, which usually resolves itself within the first year.
All my babe does is sleep too. He wakes up to eat and then falls right back to sleep. He has quiet alert time for maybe a total of a half hour each day. I'm trying to enjoy the calmness before he turns into a screaming 'real baby' like my daughter did.

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 PM

I've never had a newborn but my midwife went over postpartum stuff the other day, and this sounds like too sleepy of a newborn, to me. The "lethargic" part of it is what has me worried. I don't want to scare you but you might want to check in with your pediatrician or somebody.

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#5 of 5 Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Lilah STILL sleeps most of the day, as long as she's eating enough, (8-12 feedings a day for breastfed babies) and gaining, I'd say not to worry. Also, the eye stuff, B had crusties in his eyes for the 1st year of life, I complained constantly and the Pedi always said it was normal and not to worry. it's not an infection, it's a blocked duct and that's it. If she's not gaining that's the only time I'd worry, I'm sure she's fine mama!!! Congrats on breastfeeding BTW!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page