eliminating dairy... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2010, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who have eliminated dairy for reflux/gassy baby- I need your advice:
Do you eliminate butter and eggs? Other kinds of dairy like goat or sheep?
I know that reflux is caused by difficulty processing fatty foods- and the enzymes in cows milk being particularly hard to break down- but is it just cow products or all milk that is not human?

Any advice would be great.

Also, just thought I would share with other mamas struggling with reflux or colic: Amaia was having a real reflux freak out today, screaming and gagging, milk coming out her nose, the works. I was on the verge of filling out the prescription I have been sitting on for zantac, when I decided to give her some chamomile tea. She took two sips, calmed right down and has been an angel for the last five hours. Brilliant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 AM

My baby is not here just yet, so I can not speak from a btdt experience, but I gave up all dairy four weeks ago, as my husband has a dairy intolerance, so I am guessing it is likely the baby will have this as well.

I have given up all butter, milk cheese etc and avoid all hidden dairy in bread, baked goods, sauces, pesto's etc (it's not alway easy, there is milk or milk proteins in soooo many things!) I avoid any other kind of animal milk also.

I am keeping up my calcium intake by drinking oat milk and having amaranth porridge for breakfast (which is extremely high in calcium). It hasn't been the easiest adjustment for me to make as I grew up on a farm and LOVE dairy!

WAHM, Married to my best friend, Proud Mama to our sweet baby boy 29.5.10, Addicted to and loving
Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 AM

We area dairy free/ casein free (GFCFSF actually) family here. I agree with the pp that you really have to look because it is hidden in so many foods. Sausage has casein in it... here is a list of names that are dairy
http://gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringauti...-is-casein.htm
about halfway down the page. I wish they would reword the first bit because human milk casein is not a bad thing. It is the human baby's most perfect food. I recommend you give up soy too as it is closely related to dairy in how the body handles it. If you can use canola, try Earth Balance Spread soy free. I don't do canola either, so I use organic coconut oil if anything now. Eggs are not dairy as they do not come from the milk of a mammal. My xdh said the same thing about eggs when I started this, I think it is because in school when the 'food pyramid' (otherwise known as USDA/ big agri's plan to dominate the markets IMO) is taught- dairy and eggs are lumped together, but eggs are a protein. Good thinking on the chamo tea!

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 AM

I gave up butter too. All soy and coffee. It is hard but sooooo worth it to have a happy baby.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 PM

My ds has reflux issues as well. I've been experimenting w/food because I'm stubborn when it comes to eating. I now know that I can't have any cow's milk dairy & decided to stay away from other cheeses as well. I also can't have caffeine or it sets him off. Today's experiment is eggs. Went out to brunch & couldn't resist. I may regret thar later.

I struggle b/c dairy was my main protein source & I'm wondering what I can eat that won't upset ds reflux. I'm just trying to stay away from the
major known offenders and then trying others & making a ruling after the fact. Probably not the most sane way to do it, but at least I feel like I'm eating.
Posted via Mobile Device

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM

We're taking baby steps... I have cut butter, but eggs are perfectly safe, I thought! So far I've only cut out foods where milk is a main ingredient, not hidden dairy yet. My DD has other feeding issues as well, so we're still sorting out the cause/effects. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking goat and sheep products are safe.

I'm also feeling silly because I switched to soy milk and just now, reading this thread, realized that it's probably the reason her reflux has picked up the last few days!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangua View Post
For those of you who have eliminated dairy for reflux/gassy baby- I need your advice:
Do you eliminate butter and eggs? Other kinds of dairy like goat or sheep?
I know that reflux is caused by difficulty processing fatty foods- and the enzymes in cows milk being particularly hard to break down- but is it just cow products or all milk that is not human?

Any advice would be great.

Also, just thought I would share with other mamas struggling with reflux or colic: Amaia was having a real reflux freak out today, screaming and gagging, milk coming out her nose, the works. I was on the verge of filling out the prescription I have been sitting on for zantac, when I decided to give her some chamomile tea. She took two sips, calmed right down and has been an angel for the last five hours. Brilliant!
I cut out anything with cows milk in it with DD2 and it worked perfect.

Also, instead of the tea...get yourself good ole fashioned "Gripe Water", with the three ingredients - chamomile, ginger, and fennel. We fell in love with it dealing with DD2's milk/dairy issues.

I was still able to do eggs with her and soy milk.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:20 AM

One thing to remember is that it takes 2-3 weeks for dairy to clear completely out of your system.

With DD2, we saw in a few days some results, her spitting up with reduced, and she was not as gassy. The longer we were without dairy the better her spit up became..and about the 2 week mark we were spit up free and gas free.

We were still able to do soy...so that helped a lot, as I just replaced dairy in recipes with Soy Milk. But be forewarned that it takes a smidge more soy milk than regular milk, as the soy milk is thicker than regular milk. BTW - I did the very very vanilla and was able to deal with the taste fairly well.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm on day 1 of dairy elimination. DS is SO gassy and cranky because of his tummy. He squirms around a lot. We've narrowed it down to tummy issues because on the rare day that he is not gassy, he's a little angel. I'm hoping this will work. I'm starting with cutting out milk, cheese, and yogurt as those are daily diet staples for me. I'm going to work on the hidden dairy as well but first see how the big ones affect his tummy.

Good luck to us both!

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

User Tag List