Mothering Forum banner

PP weight loss?

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  tempestjewel 
#1 ·
I weighed myself last night, just out of curiosity. I'm 12 days post-partum. I was shocked to find that I'm just 2 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight! I gained 30 pounds, so it wasn't like I didn't gain a decent amount.

I haven't made any effort at all to drop any weight at all. Anyone else with mysterious weight loss?

#2 ·
Yep. I'm 17 days post partum and two pounds above pre-pregnancy weight of 115. With my dd1, I lost more than what I started with and ended up under 100 lbs and struggling to keep weight on, since she nursed SO. MUCH. I'm eating like a horse to avoid that this time. Oddly did not have that problem with DS, just both the girls.

#3 ·
I weighed about 125 pre-pregnancy. I went down to 110 during the first half of my pregnancy due to nausea, and by the last week I was 142- so a total gain of 17 pounds. I got weighed 15 days postpartum and I was 126. I was kind of expecting that though, since I didn't really gain much and I look the same size as I did pre-pregnancy. (Just squishier!!!) It'll be nice to work on those abs again one day...

#6 ·
I'm not a whole lot under my pregnancy weight, but I feel like I look pretty good! I feel amazing- really like I didn't have a baby 6 days ago. It's really incredible, compared to my first. Maybe just because my body is all broken in from the first baby, lol.

#7 ·
I gained around 40 lbs & am 5 days postpartum ... I promised myself to stay away from the scales for atleast 2 wks
I feel good so thats all that matters right now! I may care more when I actually have somewhere to go & try to fit into something non-maternity though LOL
Great to hear most of you are making good progress so soon!!

#8 ·
I'm within a few pounds of prepreg weight, but feel sloppy. Despite maintaining a heavy weight routine through delivery, I am just not as lean as I would like to be. The first week I didn't care cause I felt so much smaller. Now that I am used to not being pregnant, I feel blah and squishy. My stomach is actually one of the leanest parts right now. It's the arm jiggle, etc that makes me nuts.

Admittedly I am critical in this area. I went to the gym 2 days ago..couldn't help myself. Part because I needed the boost. And part because I had to hand off a couple kids to the childcare before I lost my mind. Amazingly, 25 min later I felt revived.

#9 ·
I am so jealous! I gained about 30 lbs during my pregnancy. I'm about 7 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I've just started walking this week (I'm 4 weeks pp). It took me a little longer to get active again because of the tear that I had. Walking is about all I can do right now -- the tear is still healing & it's uncomfortable to do much -- but I'm hoping to add some yoga and resistance soon. DS also seems to be going through a growth spurt this week, so I'm bf'ing a lot & he's not sleeping much either. At least I can take him on the walks with me. He won't let me put him down much the past few days. Congrats to all of you!!

#10 ·
I started at 115lbs and gained 50lbs and now at 2 weeks post partum I've got 15 lbs to get to my goal weight of 120 lbs.

Can't wait to start working out again and gaining some tone back into my stretched out tummy!!

#11 ·
I am a week post-partum at about 12 pounds from my pre-preg weight. Last time I ended up being 20 pounds under, and underweight by the time DD was 5 months, so I am not too worried about the weight. This time I am nursing DD1 and 2 so it will be interesting to see what will happen!

#12 ·
I'm right at my pre-pg weight at 2 weeks exactly pp. With each of my girls, I lost all my pregnancy weight plus about 10 pounds each time by 6 weeks pp, so that I had to go down a size in clothing after each pregnancy. With my son, I lost all my pregnancy weight within the first 6 weeks, but my hips remained wider. Within 3 months of his birth, I weighed 10 pounds less than pre-pg, and I still couldn't get into my pre-pg jeans. This go 'round, I am in my pre-pg jeans right now and feel like, with a few more weeks and maybe a little actual effort on my part, I could be back in jeans I haven't worn since before DS1! That would be awesome, because that is the last time I actually had money to spend on clothes for myself and I would have a lot of nice stuff to wear!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkenagy View Post
With my son, I lost all my pregnancy weight within the first 6 weeks, but my hips remained wider. Within 3 months of his birth, I weighed 10 pounds less than pre-pg, and I still couldn't get into my pre-pg jeans. This go 'round, I am in my pre-pg jeans right now and feel like, with a few more weeks and maybe a little actual effort on my part, I could be back in jeans I haven't worn since before DS1!
That's so strange, and exactly how it happened for me with the boy vs girl babies.

With DD1 I gained nearly 60 pounds and dropped below my starting weight (which put me underweight) within just a week or two, and with DS, I went back to my regular weight within a month or so but my hips didn't move back. I had a whole stack of size 2 jeans that wouldn't fit anymore, and like a year later, I tried them on ONE last time before I sold them all off and they fit fine, even though my weight hadn't changed. This time with DD2, same thing, lost all the weight and my size 2s fit fine. Dunno how that works.

#14 ·
Wow, aren't some of you lucky!

I gained 36lbs and am a good 14lbs above pre-pregnancy weight at 18 days pp.

I'm hoping that once I get moving (pretty much been on the couch the entire time trying to get my stitches to heal) I'll be able to shed a few more (or all? please please please) pounds... Still wondering what's up with my hips and whether I'll be able to fit into any of my old jeans though. Don't want to out and spend cash on clothes right now, plus I hate trying on pants.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
That's so strange, and exactly how it happened for me with the boy vs girl babies.

With DD1 I gained nearly 60 pounds and dropped below my starting weight (which put me underweight) within just a week or two, and with DS, I went back to my regular weight within a month or so but my hips didn't move back. I had a whole stack of size 2 jeans that wouldn't fit anymore, and like a year later, I tried them on ONE last time before I sold them all off and they fit fine, even though my weight hadn't changed. This time with DD2, same thing, lost all the weight and my size 2s fit fine. Dunno how that works.

I had the same prob last time. With DD1 (granted I was 20yo), I gained 30lb, gone 2 weeks PP, into normal jeans asap. DD2 (8yr later), started at normal weight 140lb (am 5ft8), gained 30lb, back to prepreg at 2 weeks PP and 133lb at 6wk PP, BUT could not get my hip into my old jeans for 9 mnths. But then suddenly I was able to get jeans on I couldnt before pregnancy!

My hips are mongo now, depsite nearly back to prepreg weight....I cant even get em in my fat jeans, yet I can see my top two rows of abs. WTH is that about?

#16 ·
my issue is the hips too. i gain mostly water weight and so i, weight wise, am more or less back to normal really shortly after i have my babies...and my belly looks pretty awesome really quickly too. but i'm just...wider. last time it took me 4 months for my hips to go back down. and my giant breastfeeding-a-newb-boobs throw off all my shirts.

dechiri, i'm with you and have been back at the gym as well. and it makes me feel way less stressed so i'm glad i am! but i had stopped bleeding anyway and haven't returned to bleeding even after working out so i think it's fine.

#17 ·
I've lost half of the 40 I gained with this pg, but my hips still don't fit into my pants. I have one pair of jeans I can wear, othewise, it's still 2nd trimester maternity clothes, though most days I don't get out of my maternity pj bottoms with big t-shirts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.