my lo screams bloody murder during diaper changes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this normal? occasionally he won't scream or cry but he almost always does. Will this stop? I have no idea why he does this - he cries when he's wet/soiled (sometimes) and I always change him right away, so you would think he would NOT cry because I am making him feel better! He immediately stops crying the moment I pick him up after the change.

Ideas?

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Cold wipes? DD screams unless I use warm water.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#3 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is not unusual... I have cared for many babies and SO many of them have been diaper-change criers, including my own- who is normally super chill and very rarely fussy. I just try and do the change as quickly as possible, avoid anything uncomfortable, and keep talking to her the whole time. Soon it's over. I don't feel too bad because even if she is upset, I am there for her the whole time and there is no option but to change a diaper if it's dirty!

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#4 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM

My LO hates the diaper changes too. She never complains about wet/dirty diapers- apparently sitting in the ick is better than being changed! Lol!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#5 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, well, at least i know i'm not the only one....just makes it hard to take him anywhere where I might have to change him. Breaks my heart, too...Occasionally he won't cry so I keep hoping he'll outgrow it.

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#6 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Invest in a travel sized blow dryer. I know it sounds ridiculous but turn it on warm and aim in the general area- I swear you will have a calm, blissed out baby during changes. It's like a drug for Amaia. She can be screaming bloody murder but as soon as that blow dryer hits her, she is cool as a cucumber. I think its a combo of the warm air feeling nice and the white noise being soothing.
#7 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Diaper screamer here as well. I sing and talk to her and sometimes it works. Not always though, and we use warm water cloth wipes...

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#8 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM

DD hates it too, way more than my other babies ever did, and I think it's because she really doesn't like being jostled around. She doesn't cry at the cold wipes as much as when I start taking off and putting on the diapers- we use cloth and sometimes I can't get the darn snappi on because her little angry legs are kicking so hard- LOL.

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)
#9 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM

I remember Lilah being that way in the beginning, but now, she's totally over it. 11 weeks now and once I take the diaper off, she LOVES being nakie so much that I leave her laying there like that for 10 minutes sometimes even longer. Of course she's in a safe place or I'm right there with her, but man she'd rather have that darn thing off (clothes too!) and be airy instead of dressed. Pretty funny really!!

I'm sure he'll be fine Jenna, just talk/sing/comfort as much as you can while doing it, it'll get easier.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#10 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminist~mama View Post
My LO hates the diaper changes too. She never complains about wet/dirty diapers- apparently sitting in the ick is better than being changed! Lol!
Same here. I had coffee with some manas from my childbirth class today whose babies are both 12 weeks & they said that they both outgrew it. So there's hope!
Posted via Mobile Device

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#11 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 PM

ilan was like this too which was a shock for me because wren loved nakey time immediately. as of this last week or so (he's 6 weeks on saturday) he is starting to like it. i think he didn't like feeling vulnerable/exposed/cold. he's a much bigger lover of the swaddle than wren was too.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#12 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 AM

My DD hated it, too. She's 4wo today and has been more tolerant of diaper changes in the past few days. Whether that's because the weather turned warmer and/or she realized I wasn't trying to kill her, I just don't know.

One thing I have learned with babies is that the reality today might be the polar opposite tomorrow or next week.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#13 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Bella is 11days old today and has HATED having her dipe changed since the very first one. She is a total snuggle-bug and any undressing/chaging/being nakey is met with complete and total resistance on her part. Other than that she is a very laid-back girl, but the diaper is a stress to her. I always talk to her while I change her and try to get it done as quick as possible. Like someone else mentioned about their LO; she doesnt ever seem to care if she is wet/poopy, but try taking that dipey off and all hell breaks loose! We cloth diaper so I change her at least every 1 1/2-2hrs during the day and they do take a bit longer to get the snaps on (we use fitteds and a cover) but I just try to soothe her and change as quick as I can. Not too much you can do. She doesnt seem to care whether the wipes are warm or cool, just the whole undressing issue. My 17mo DS was like this too and still doesnt like to hold still for changes but did outgrow the screaming. Know you arent alone in this; sounds pretty common among a lot of our LO's and hopefully they will handle it better as they grow.

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page