Mothering Forum banner

My Baby is hospitalized

2K views 25 replies 25 participants last post by  organicpapayamama 
#1 ·
I knew something was wrong. At first we thought it was a cold/congestions, and so did Urgent Care and ER. But by day 2 (Wed), I knew it was something more.

No baby could projectile vomit as much as he was and have just congestion/cold, after almost every single feeding. No one listened to me. The on-call ped that night said try pedialyte. The next day our normal Ped (Ped W) wanted a weight check because of the call we made Tuesday and the ER report they received on Wednesday morning....well, it didn't go well.

Ped A (one who did his tongue tie clip and at 2 weeks wanted us to suppliment with formula) saw him because of the huge weight loss. All she kept harping on was loosing weight due to my low supply. Nothing about the projective vomits after almost every feed; vomiting up almost entire feedings; what appeared to be mucus (now we know it was gastric acid) in the vomit....oh, and the huge, huge weight loss; lack of pee'ing or filling diapers for hours....(like 14+ hours in same diaper with almost no urine in it)......

We had a come to jesus meeting with the Ped Group today, demanding to see one that would listen to me...her words (after I went through day by day and showing the pics)...not a supply issue, issue with keeping it down.

Baby has had huge huge huge weight loss right now and is currently scheduled for surgery. Had we continued on much longer he might not have survived. He was diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis....

See less See more
#9 ·
My son had the same thing at 6 weeks old. The ped thought it was just reflux but by the end of the week I knew it wasn't. No baby should throw up their feed 3 or 4 hours later. My son had surgery within 24 hours of the diagnosis. He's currently a perfectly happy & healthy eater at the ripe age of 2. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by theoldmommers View Post
What a great mama you are! Your instincts were spot on and you demanded to be heard. Now your babe will get the care he needs and be able to get on with his happy baby life!

So sorry your babe is sick. I hope all is well soon and you are all back home healing and resting.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl3 View Post
My son had the same thing at 6 weeks old. The ped thought it was just reflux but by the end of the week I knew it wasn't. No baby should throw up their feed 3 or 4 hours later. My son had surgery within 24 hours of the diagnosis. He's currently a perfectly happy & healthy eater at the ripe age of 2. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.
I'm so glad you posted this ray of sunshine.

Mama, I am SO SORRY to hear this. Good for you for pushing the peds to do their freaking jobs.

Prayers for your little Wyatt from this Wyatt's mama.

#19 ·
I'm glad you caught it. He should be fine now.

My husband and his father both had pyloric stenosis as babies. Luckily, it's easily fixed. We are actually watching Ailin for signs of it, since it runs in the family.

Hugs to you. I'm sure everything will be fine now.

#24 ·
I am so sorry. How scary! I'm glad you persevered and got the diagnosis so your little boy can get fixed up. I get so angry at pediatricians who blame the mom or write off real concerns as "oh she's just a crazy first time mom who doesn't know what to expect." I experienced some of that with DD1 and know how frustrating and maddening it is.

Hugs to you mama! What a rough ride you have had so far. I know surgery will go smoothly and your baby will be gaining well in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.