Mothering Forum banner

Intense Bleeding Episode: Anyone on Methergen?

12K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dkenagy 
#1 ·
After a pretty breezy postpartum time, I stood up to an absolute geyser rush of blood and lots of clotting today. I'm on bedrest and methergen now. I really don't think I overdid things. This kind of came out of nowhere. Anyone else have to go on methergen (sp?)? What was your experience?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm on it right now for the second time. I had the same thing happen to me and I went in for an ultrasound. It showed I still had some stuff in there so they put me on methergine to see if it would come out on its own with contractions. It didn't. So yesterday I went in for a d&c. The piece of tissue was really on there, and definitely wasn't coming out on its own, so it's likely I would have had more gushing experiences and eventually, an infection. I bled some during the d&c because they had to scrape off that piece of tissue, so now I'm on methergine again to slow/stop the bleeding.

It sounds like a scary medication, but I haven't had any problems. They have me taking it every four hours for 6 doses.

#3 ·
Wow Rockgal, poor you! thank you for responding. So far, the bleeding has largely stopped though I'm worried about it coming back. Between the hemorrhaging and the medicine, I feel so wiped out. Are you exhausted after all you've been through? I hope you feel back to normal soon
It's a scary thing to experience!

#4 ·
I got a shot of it when I hemorrhaged after birth but I didn't know that it came in pill form too. I don't know what the side effects are b/c I was having a pretty rough time and don't know what caused what!

Poetgirl and Rockgal I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this.

#5 ·
Did they do an ultrasound to see if you've retained anything? If the methergine helped to get whatever was causing the clots and bleeding out, then it will stop. If not, it will probably continue to happen until you pass whatever is causing it.

I feel much better already. Getting a d&c wasn't my favorite thing, but I'm glad to not feel like I have a ticking time bomb in my abdomen. I was afraid to go anywhere because of the crazy bleeding.

I hope it resolves for you on its own.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockgal View Post
Did they do an ultrasound to see if you've retained anything? If the methergine helped to get whatever was causing the clots and bleeding out, then it will stop. If not, it will probably continue to happen until you pass whatever is causing it.

I feel much better already. Getting a d&c wasn't my favorite thing, but I'm glad to not feel like I have a ticking time bomb in my abdomen. I was afraid to go anywhere because of the crazy bleeding.

I hope it resolves for you on its own.
They didn't do an u/s but will if I have any more heavy bleeding. Wonder if I should ask for one? Since taking the methergine and the big episode, I have actually had very little bleeding, so I wonder if it was just that I needed to get that initial clot out? I bled quite a bit after the birth, and I had a little pit then too. Not sure what happened here.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

#7 ·
I had a shot of methergine plus 3 oral doses at the hospital because of the huge amount of blood I lost at the birth. My bleeding slowed dramatically and by 1 week pp I was barely spotting (unusual for me, it usually takes me 4 weeks to get down to spotting). Then, around a week and a half pp, I was getting ready for church and suddenly felt a lot of fluid coming out. I had a pad on, but I might as well not have; by the time I walked from my living room to the bathroom, I had soaked thru the pad, panties, slip and skirt. I found a huge, "meaty" clot and nearly passed out. I was so shaky! I called the OBs and they put me on another round of methergine to help my uterus clamp down. That helped and the bleeding completely stopped. Five days later, I was wearing a pantyliner (geez!!). We had been out shopping the craft-y type stores, looking for a porch swing. I was walking across my front yard when I felt some bleeding. I hurried toward the house, laid the baby down on the bed and went into the bathroom. I reached down to unzip my jeans, and I had soaked all the way through and blood was literally dripping down the outside of my jeans. I felt so weak and woozy, but after I sat on the toilet for 10 minutes or so, I felt okay. So I cleaned up, laid myself down, and stayed sitting/laying for the next couple days. On the third day, I got back to some activity and had another gush. Called again, got ANOTHER round of methergine. Told to come in the day after finishing that round to have an u/s. U/s showed my uterus to be half-full of clots,etc, and half-full of fluid (blood). Each time the clots shift, I get a huge rush of fluid/blood and nearly faint. Great! So the OB puts me on methergine AGAIN (4th round) and cytotec to open my cervix to pass the clots. I took those over a weekend and sat on the couch, on towels, wearing the hugest pads I could find and.... NOTHING. Now I have days and days with NO bleeding at all, then I'll have a day with something like period flow. I know there's no placenta left (at least, it didn't show in the u/s) and I REALLY REALLY don't want to do the d&c. OB said I should pass all remaining clots and fluid during my next cycle... geez louise!! It takes me at least a year to start cycling again! I can't wait that long (and risk infection, have periodic huge gushes of blood soaking my clothes, then pass YEAR-OLD clots and junk??? No thanks!!) She says she feels comfortable waiting till the 2-month mark to revisit the d&c discussion. They are going to do a repeat u/s at my 6w pp visit on July 1st. Sure hope there's nothing in there, but I know I haven't passed all that junk, yet..

Wow! Sorry about the book! I just wanted to say I feel your pain! Hope the methergine works for you on the first try! It (plus the bleeding) wipes me totally out!

#8 ·
I'm sorry dkenagy, it really is a pain. I had the same thing. And now I'm waiting for the bleeding to stop after my d&c. It's like a light period, but it has been a week now. They told me to call if I still have red blood on Monday.

Really though, the d&c itself was not that bad. And most docs put you out for it. Mine didn't. I just had some Tylenol 3 and a local.

I really hope they come out on their own, but if you wait and they don't, and you have to get a d&c, it will be ok.

#9 ·
Darci, I hope you are doing better. I agree, if you know your uterus has lots of clots and they are not passing, it seems risky to leave "as is" until your first menstrual period. I feel you though on not wanting the d and c. Take care, mama. Sorry you are going through this.

I wonder if anyone near you practices mayan abdominal massage. That could be helpful in circulating and releasing blood.

#11 ·
I have never heard of mayan abdominal massage. I have my 6 week pp check on Thursday and if the u/s shows that my uterus is still full of stuff, I'll look into it. I have tried the medical way (as far as I am interested in trying) and am ready to try more "alternative" ways of releasing the clots, if they remain. I'm not interested in going for a d&c for several reasons, not the least of which being the increased risks of uterine adhesions when a d&c is performed during the initial pp period.
I haven't had bleeding more than brown spotting for the last several days, so maybe (just maybe!) I'm done??? Please!??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.