Help me figure out what this cry means! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 5 weeks now, and for the past week or two has us absolutely flummoxed with this crying behavior!

Typically, she's at the breast and nursing when it begins. She stiffens her body and flails her arms and legs and starts crying- then latches back on and sucks a few times, then stiffens her body and flails her arms and legs...

I've tried taking her off the breast, offering a pacifier, switching sides, burping in a variety of positions, changing her diaper, rocking, bouncing, covering her or taking off clothes, swaddling, etc.

She calms within a few minutes- it's never the same thing that fixes it, and she often then acts like she's starving and needs to eat- so we start the whole thing over. She'll nurse happily for a few minutes, then start crying.

Any ideas? I'd love to avoid the whole scene if someone has been there/ done that with this behavior!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#2 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 AM

Could this be it?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 02:48 AM

Sounds like what my daughter did when she had to pee while nursing. DD would NOT wet her diaper if she had any choice and was very vocal about needing to pee . (Check her diaper before and after she settles down.) I would take DD off the breast if she started fussing like that and hold her over the toilet let her pee and then get right back to nursing--saved a lot of hassles and a quite a few diapers here.
#4 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 AM

All my babies have done this and I have fast let down. If I hand expressed a little from each breast and than relatched them they were happier.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#5 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Could be fast let down or reflux. Is she arching away from the breast? Does she hate lying flat on her back after eating?

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#6 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Sounds VERY similar to what I'v experienced. The solution for us was for me to burp her often during a feeding. I burp her at the first sign of discomfort (wiggling legs) or after a couple of minutes, whichever comes first. Then another time during the feeding, and then at the end. I also have fast let down, and this seemed to help enormously.

HTH!
#7 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_lighted View Post
Sounds VERY similar to what I'v experienced. The solution for us was for me to burp her often during a feeding. I burp her at the first sign of discomfort (wiggling legs) or after a couple of minutes, whichever comes first. Then another time during the feeding, and then at the end. I also have fast let down, and this seemed to help enormously.

HTH!
Exactly this! I'll burp dd after just a few sucks if she gets fussy like that. She gets a lot of air gulping in that first bit with my fast let down.

Alternatively, could she just be really hungry and an impatient nurser and is upset that it takes a few sucks to get the milk flowing? It's a puzzle, these little critters.....
#8 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 PM

this sounds like what my ds does when he's using the bathrm (usually #2) while nursing.
#9 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 PM

DDCC

Haha, for my DD it means ALL of the above.

Milk is too fast- she does this
Milk is too slow- she does this
She has reflux sooooo- she does this
She needs to burp- she does this
She needs to use the bathroom- she does this

It's a puzzle to figure out what the issue is at the moment.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#10 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM

To me, this sounds like Reflux or GERD, and needs to be checked out.

This pulling away and fussing is common for fast/slow let down, but the back arching and screeching is NOT and are signs of reflux.

I hope you get it worked out mama, it sucks when your LO cries and you/we don't know why

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page