BFing question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having an issue while nursing. I get so full between feedings that when he's ready to eat again (2-3 hours) I'm huge and he has a hard time latching. He does latch, but then milk comes so fast that he gags and pops off. He spits some out and it sprays from me a little. Then he's all wet and I'm all wet and he can't latch very well and he swallows a bunch of air.

I read somewhere that you should make sure that they're finishing one side before going to the other when you have this problem. I've been doing that and it doesn't appear to be getting better. It may be getting worse.

Is this some sort of phase? Should I express a little before feeding him to relieve the pressure? He gets so frustrated.

Grad student Expecting #1 due date May 30th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 AM

You could try to block feed to reduce your supply. Nurse from only one breast for at least 4 hours before changing breasts. So every time you nurse, put the babe to the same breast for 4 hours before switching.

You could also pump a little before latching him on, although this will keep your supply high.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#3 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

there are some diagrams to show how to soften your areola to help baby latch.

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
#4 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Yes I think it's a normal phase - your body starts off with way more milk than the baby needs and adjusts down to the baby's needs.

I know it sounds like a pain but you may try pumping until milk starts squirting out ("let down") and then putting the baby on after the most forceful squirting is over. You're basically doing that now, using the baby instead of a pump. Lots of moms do it that way too, they just use a prefold to catch the squirting milk and then put the baby back on.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#5 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 PM

I keep a towel handy and have him pop off before he gets squirted in the face. Then I let the milk squirt into a towel on its own until it stops then stick baby back on. This relieves the pressure so baby can nurse.

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#6 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Same advice as PPs, but I also wipe off her face and my boob after the fast let down has soaked us - I think the slipperiness makes it harder to latch on, and I notice that after I dry us both, she latches on much better.
#7 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 PM

We get drenched here, too. I tried block feeding and it seemed to really help regulate my oversupply and fast letdown. I got the info from Kellymom. I think it's ok to pump *just a little* to relieve discomfort in the other breast, although I chose not to. I only feed from one breast at each feeding now and switch back and forth with each nursing. Also, I have to use a nipple shield since one nipple is flat and with my oversupply there is *nothing* to latch onto. My lac consult says I may have to always use it on that side, but some moms can just use them till their supply becomes regulated. Do you have a lactation consultant?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
#8 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

I do have a lactation consultant and there's a weekly support group. I'm already feeding from one side per feeding. And sometimes for the next one too if for some reason he doesn't finish. So I guess the remedy right now is to catch the spray and wipe us both off, which works ok.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this though. Sounds pretty common.

He's a slow nurser because he falls asleep at the boob so much. So when it's also a battle it's frustrating. I think we're both still figuring things out. LOL

Grad student Expecting #1 due date May 30th
#9 of 10 Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 PM

i have the same problem, and sometimes i feed him (mostly at night) lying on my back (with him on my tummy) so that he has to suck out as opposed to have the milk flow down into his mouth and him choke.
#10 of 10 Old 07-17-2010, 11:56 PM

Have you tried reverse pressure softening?

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Use...ment-106182017

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page