Help me, my baby is a CONSTANT crier!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had DD #3, so I'm no stranger to normal infant behavior. And my last baby cried ALL the time and needed to be nursed or held 24/7. So I know what this is like. But my new DD is perplexing me.

She was the ideal, content baby for the first month, but the last 3 weeks have been hell. She fusses when she nurses, so I take her potty (we EC most of the day). She fusses more, so we go back to nursing. Nope, still fussing (no issues with letdown or supply, etc...) so we burp- she burps like a champ, but still fusses. Nurse more, fuss more. Get up and put in sling, bounce and sing. SCREAMS. Hates the sling. Walks around house holding her with two hands, she is ok for a few minutes. Move her to one hand, put her in a sling, sit down, or put her down and she SCREAMS. Mostly its just fussing and whining, but a few things make her really pissed.

She's a great sleeper at night, aside from some early morning gas issues, but I've been giving her probiotics and avoiding dairy. Not really helping. She was a great napper too and that was the glue holdingme together- I was getting breaks to eat, shower, clean up a little, and play with my other kids. But the last few days I've not been able to put her to sleep without a great deal of hassle, and she only stays asleep for 5-15 minutes. I feel like I;m headed towards hell again- I had really bad PPD with my last baby which was mostly due to the fact that he cried 24/7 amd never slept and I was alone w/ the kids all day.

It's 8:50am and I've been up for an hour listening to her cry bloody murder even though I am freaking holding her, and my other kids are hungry, Im hungry, I'm frazzled, and I'm wondering what the HELL I can do to make her feel better. At least my last baby didn't cry when I was holding him- this is just intolerable. Help??? Ideas??? Comiseration??

P.S.- by the time i finished this post, she had screamed herself to sleep in my lap. after trying to nurse, pee, sling, and rock her of course.

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)
#2 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM

nak

Have you tried swaddling her? My niece was like this and swaddling was the magic weapon.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#3 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM

I couldn't read and not respond, I'm so so sorry that this is going on mama. I hope someone is able to offer some advice that will help you all. When DS2 was a newbie and I went back to work, DH had to stand up and walk with him all day long. He couldn't put him down for anything or he would wake up and scream. I could just sit down and nurse him so it wasn't like that when I was home, but DH hated life. Newborns go through "purple crying" too, and it usually peaks around 8 weeks but is worse at 6 weeks than it was at 2-4 weeks. So your right in that phase where newbies cry all the time mama, I mean like hours out of each day. I do hope it gets better though. And please, if you think your PPD is coming back/getting worse please get help for it.

((((BIG HUGS))))

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#4 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
nak

Have you tried swaddling her? My niece was like this and swaddling was the magic weapon.
OH, and Lilah is like this too. If she's fussy, I wrap her up TIGHT and lay her on her side, calms right down.

See if you can find the "H.U.G. Your Baby" video and watch what that Dr does to calm the babies. I don't do everything he does, but the swaddling and side lying, and light jiggling works well, and sometimes a binky works too. I now some are against it, but honestly sometimes they just NEED to suck and you need a break.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#5 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Sounds exactly like my nephew. My parents thought something was really wrong and ended up taking him to the ER twice. Turns out it was just colic. Luckily his colic is gone now but they tried everything. What finally worked was this tea thing. I forget the name but if you're interested I can find out.

BFPChart2.gif

#6 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

speaking of colic - have you tried gripe water to see if this calms her?

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#7 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Have you looked into whether she might have reflux? The fussing during nursing can be a symptom. It might be something to rule out to make sure the crying and fussiness isn't because she's in pain/ discomfort.
#8 of 10 Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
speaking of colic - have you tried gripe water to see if this calms her?
Yes gripe water is great, had to use that while waiting for dairy to leave my and my kiddos systems-takes about 2-4 weeks to clear. Are you sure that you have taken ALL dairy out, seriously checking every ingredient-hidden sources? Could it be another allergen?
Also my kiddos had to have pacifiers because they had a strong suck need. Only thing that would calm #4 down.
Hope you can figure this out and get rest.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#9 of 10 Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM

I felt kind of guilty using it at first, but a swing has saved my sanity. I have two other sons, 4 and 2 years old, and I had to have some help. DS 3 would cry constantly unless he was held or nursing, so my mom suggested a swing. It was the only thing that helped her when my older brother was a baby. Luckily, my husband found one for $2 at a yard sale this past Saturday. Now DS 3 is taking naps regularly, and I am a much better, less frustrated mother.
#10 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Some things that work with my son:
If I know he is not hungry and doesn't need to be changed...

1. Putting him in his swing. I think he likes it because it sits him sort of upright and he can look around the room. Eventually it lulls him to sleep, although when the music auto shuts off, he sometimes wakes up and screams.

2. Putting him in his stroller in his infant seat and walking around the block. He loves the motion and looking around the neighborhood. Just be careful about the sun. Our sidewalks are pretty shady so it works for us.

3. Taking him outside and walking around the backyard for a minute. As soon as the air hits him, it's like he's thrown for a loop for a little and it snaps him out of his fussy mood.

4. I know this isn't for everyone, but I use a pacifier sometimes and sometimes that's what he wants. There are times when he wants to suck but isn't hungry and if he nurses, the milk will come out and he'll get VERY upset and pull away. The paci helps with that situation. If you are anti pacifier you could let him suck on your finger or offer him his thumb.

5. Take him for a little car ride. My son loves the car, the movement and vibration calm him down almost immediately.

Play music (my baby loves to look at his mobile above the crib).

Good luck!!! My son has hated being swaddled since about week 2 so that's never really worked for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page