tear that didn't heal properly - what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to visit my midwife and discuss some options for a tear that didn’t heal properly. I had torn upwards during the birth which split my labia minora apart on the right side. I had to go to the hospital (after a home birth) to get it stitched up but I discovered a couple weeks later that the stitches must have dissolved or torn because the two ends of the labia tear had healed on their own, not attached.

I am supposed to find out how to reattach the skin, cauterize???, and if it is even worth it.

has anyone heard of this, experienced it at all? should I just leave it be and move on?

It is only aesthetic as far as I can tell, but I hope it doesn't cause problems later. I also had a traumatic experience while in the hospital with the surgeon so now I am really hesitant in returning for a second surgery.

any suggestions or comment would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM

I wish I had answers, but may be in a similar boat. I had a labial peel on my right side that split back open even though my homebirth mw stitched me up after the birth. It was very *very* painful for several weeks. The pain is gone, but I'm worried too that I didn't heal correctly, because things feel different, and I have a flap of skin (labia?) that is "extra".

I too debate whether or not it'd be worth pursuing some kind of "fix" or to just leave it alone. I don't go back to my mw until July 12th for my final post-partum visit, so I plan on talking with her about it then. If it is just aesthetic, I don't know that I'd want to go through with the pain and expense of having it fixed.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a small tear that way and no stitches for it... it ended up healing, but not healing back together, similar to what you are saying.

I'm not worrying about mine, because it truly is just aesthetic... I am reminding myself that it is normal for things to be different after giving birth, even though I don't really like it.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the inputs. I have decided to make peace with it and just accept that I have a tear.. I just wish the tear reminded me of the lovely birth and not of the traumatic after "care" that I received.

User Tag List