Anyone doing a post-baby shape up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need some thoughts, motivation, empathy, etc. as I embark on my post-baby shape up! Regardless of the fact that I was in my pre-pg jeans at 2 weeks postpartum and at my pre-pg weight by 6 weeks (won't allow myself to weigh prior to 6 weeks pp!), my abdominal/core muscles are a wreck!! I mean, I've been pregnant/breastfeeding/both for the last 8 years, and my core could really use some toning/strengthening.

So, who's on board? I'll definitely need someone(s) to keep me accountable and motivated.
Let's do it!!

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#2 of 29 Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
We are. DH and I decided last night that we would like to lose 20kg before my family's annual picnic in mid-December.

I am 10kg over my pre-pregnancy weight which was 10kg over where I would like to be. My goal is 53kg.

Our plan is to eat lots of salads (DH is vegetarian) and start walking every day. I'm also going to do some push-ups, fitball squats, tricep dips and ab exercises here at home. I don't think it is realistic for me to try and get back to the gym at this stage.

ETA - oh and we're going to cut out the chocolate/cake etc

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 29 Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 AM

I'm in. I also have a vacation coming up in December -- Florida. So my motivation should be high. I've made it down to our basement a few times for some weights and a little time on my rowing machine. My goal is to get down there more starting next week. DS is usually pretty good at being my personal trainer & not crying. I had to cut the workout short on Monday, though.

My downfall this week has been my diet, so I need to really work on cleaning it up (hear-hear to the chocolate cake - or cupcakes in my case). I'm about 5 lbs away from pre-preg weight, but would like to lose a little more. But more importantly, I'd love to be able to fit into my clothes again.

I'm all for keeping each other motivated. Are we reporting on here daily??

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#4 of 29 Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah! At 6 weeks postpartum I started going to a 2x/week yoga class which I love, and today (7 weeks) I went to the gym for the first time. I am actually 3lbs BELOW my pre-preg weight, strangely, but I really want to get my endurance back up and tone my core. I went to the gym up until 38 weeks pregnant and I was in great shape, had a great birth, and now I feel good except that I have no abdominal strength whatsoever! It is nice to work out because it is time that is all about ME and there is really not much of that when you have a baby at home. (DW stays with the babe and can nurse her, so that helps me feel really secure about leaving her to get to the Y to work out!)

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#5 of 29 Old 07-10-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

I wish my husband could nurse the baby sometimes! :-P

Let's plan to update as daily-ish as possible. I know I'm not on here every day, but I'll make an effort to get on here a couple times a week.

I'm doing some isometric ab-work and push-ups, lunges, squats, etc. Haven't been in the mood for cardio since the actual temp has been in the triple digits all week with 80-85% humidity and heat indices in the 110s. Blech... I think I've sweated off another 5 pounds just walking out the water the chickens and gather eggs this week!!

Guess I should cut out my daily ice cream habit? I've done fairly well with making better food choices of late. I said in my original post that I can wear my pre-pg jeans, but I never had a "muffin-top" before. My ab tone is NONE and my little poochy, belly-skin area is driving me crazy!!

#6 of 29 Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Ah, the muffin-top! My biggest complaint! My belly just spills out all over the place. That is my motivator.

#7 of 29 Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm going to make my official start date on Monday. I may get something in tomorrow, but today is shot. My brother's in town & coming to stay, but we have no idea when he's getting here so I probably won't work out. Does cleaning the house count?? If so, then I got a mad work out in this morning

Also, was really bummed to find out that our Rec center won't accept babies into child care until 3 months old. I don't know if DH will be able to help or not (he gets home late in the evenings). I do have a rower and a nice weight set in our basement, and of course my yoga stuff, so I guess I'm stuck with that for now. But, that's really no excuse now, is it?

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#8 of 29 Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

I've got no real workout equipment at home. I've got a birth/exercise ball and some yoga/pilates DVDs. My grandmother lives across the street and she has a treadmill and exercise bike, plus will watch my kiddos while I tread/bike. But I have to motivate myself to get the kids ready and go over there, exercise, then usually end up doing other stuff because I keep my grandparents' personal and business books and there's always something...
Going to the mountains Mon-Wed. Hope to get in some good hiking and swimming. My other grandmother lives up there and was telling me today how "hot" it's been. A high temp so far this summer of 86* at her house. Wow. Three days this past week it was 102*, 104*, and 103*. A high in the mid-80s sounds divine and like good being-outside weather.

#9 of 29 Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Thursday went to yoga.

Friday 35 minutes on the treadmill mostly walking uphill, a few intervals of running. Not bad for the first time since having Grace. A bit of ab work and lots of stretching as well.

Saturday wanted to take baby out in the stroller, but jogger tires were flat, arrg! Took her on a short walk in the sling.

Today is hot out and it's a busy day. I will attempt to do some ab work at home and aim for getting to the gym tomorrow!

#10 of 29 Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Me! I'm 18 pounds above my ppg weight, plus another 10 lbs I put on while TTC. With the other kids, nursing and some biking did it, but I realized I actually need to watch my diet after #3 and being so old now (31 ).

I've started doing some workout videos (Turbo Jam), focusing mainly on the strength training ones (there's one called Total Body Blast that is a great core workout).

I've also NOT eaten everything in sight for the past 3 days and finally lost a few pounds after being stuck at the same weight for about two weeks (I was starting to think my scale was broken!).

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#11 of 29 Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM

DS has been a bit cranky this week, so I haven't been able to get a really good workout in. But, I managed some walks both yesterday and today. 2.2 miles each pushing the stroller & at a pretty good pace (took about 30 minutes to complete each). I'm hoping that he'll nap a little later this afternoon so I can do some yoga, but we'll see. At least he's not screaming bloody murder today. I'm not sure what was going on yesterday, but it was a very long and exhausting day trying to keep him content.

#12 of 29 Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 AM

Me! I am quite a bit below my pre pregnancy weight due to how sick I have been, but oh, I am soooo out of shape! My muscles are so flabbly and my skin feels loose on my belly, backs of my thighs, but, and arms. I can't do a lot of aerobic excercise yet, but I am doing the push up and squat challenge. Just after a couple days of doing the program I already feel a little bit tighter.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#13 of 29 Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Sunday did crunches on the yoga ball and leg lifts.

Monday didn't make it to the gym because some friends of ours gave us a TON of apricots from their tree and we needed to can/jam them before they went bad.

Tuesday went to yoga class.

Today DW and I are taking turns going to the gym/being with the baby.

ETA: I was successful in getting to the gym. Did 40 minutes of intervals on the elliptical and lots of stretching and core strengthening again. Feels good!

#14 of 29 Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM

I've been doing cardio 4, sometimes 5, times a week. I haven't had the time to reintegrate the strength training because as it is I come home to a frazzled husband (and a newborn who wants to eat) every time and it's kinda draining. I have been doing basic diastisis healing stuff though although I only have a 1/2 finger separation at the bottom. I just want it to heal more before attempting ab work. I am really happy because my abs are gaining more definition eack week, but it's my butt/thighs/hips that are the harder issue for me. Obliques in particular. Totally hate the muffin top!

I recently switched over to listening to music instead of watching TV while I run and in the same amount of time I can go 1.5miles more. And I have lost 7 lbs in the 3 weeks since I've instituted this..with no change in diet.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#15 of 29 Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 AM

I weighed in at 5lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight last week at my 6 week exam but don't know how to nurse & attempt to return to the gym or even go for a quick run. I have been working so hard to increase my milk supply (lact. consultant, La Leche meetings, fenugreek & tinctures) but am still not able to pump enough to leave my little girl. Any advice for this once super active now turned sedentary first time mama? I love breastfeeding but for my mental health need to be more active! I would also like to fit in m clothes for when I return to work in September.
#16 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 AM

I lost 2 lbs last week!

This week is focused on getting my diet back on track. I managed a 2.5 mile walk/run yesterday & a 2.5 mile walk today. I decided to go back to using my Podrunner interval training podcast to get me back up to the 5k I was doing before getting pregnant. Now I'm pushing the jogging stroller too. That should burn some extra calories.

#17 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Didn't manage to get to yoga on Thursday.

We spent the weekend camping in Colorado Springs (for four nights) and it was amazing. Got in a couple of good hikes while we were there. Now we are back home and it is hot hot hot... I'll be sad to be at the gym instead of out on the gorgeous trails in the mountains!

#18 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDoulaMama View Post
Ah, the muffin-top! My biggest complaint! My belly just spills out all over the place. That is my motivator.
I am so rocking a magnificent muffin top!

I want to do some Dance Dance Revolution, but I'm concerned about my slight rectal prolapse. Anyone else dealing with fitness + prolapse?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#19 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
I am so rocking a magnificent muffin top!

I want to do some Dance Dance Revolution, but I'm concerned about my slight rectal prolapse. Anyone else dealing with fitness + prolapse?
Could you talk more about this prolapse? I have noticed something perhaps not quite right...hmm...

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#20 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM

I'm nervous to do any workouts as I'm not feeling quite "right" down there yet. I still get a heavy feeling or I feel friction in my vagina that is uncomfortable. Not sure if its prolapse or what but it makes me nervouse. I really want to work out tho!! For now, its just kegels.

But the good news is that I'm eating healthy and losing roughly 1 lb a week. I have 13lbs to go to get to my goal weight!!

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#21 of 29 Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

So.... it's been over 100* nearly every day for the last 2 weeks and my hubbster has been working a lot of OT in preparation for our weeklong beach vacay at the end of Aug, so I haven't had much time OR motivation for doing much of anything. My weight has remained stable right around pre-pg weight, but I HATE HATE HATE my flabby tummy!! This is number FIVE for me and the first time I've ever had such a flabby, doughy middle. My pre-pg jeans fit and will button, but MAN oh MAN the muffin-top I've got going.... blah. My sister and I recently decided to do this thing together (she's not pp, but just has some "leftovers" from her 2 kids). She bought jillian michael's 30-day shred and I'm thinking of borrowing that.

#22 of 29 Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have been slack about posting here but things are going pretty well. I have been walking a few times a week with my neighbour who has a 9 month old. I carry J in the Moby so that adds about 6kg to my effort

I have also drastically reduced the amount of sweets I eat. It helps that my greatest weakness is chocolate things and the caffeine seems to keep J awake so, big incentive there!

So far I have lost 3kg, about 1kg/week. My goal is to lose 20kg so 17 to go.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#23 of 29 Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

I don't think I've posted in a few days so:

Thursday: Went to yoga

Friday: Nothin'

Saturday: Went for a walk with DD.

Sunday: Nothin'

Monday: Went to the gym. 40 minutes on the treadmill walking steep uphill with a few intervals of running... about 8 minutes total. Working into it! Also did some ab work.

Tuesday (today): Went to yoga.

I am sad that my Tuesday/Thursday yoga class is ending after this week because the instructor is a school teacher and has to go back to work again soon. She teaches at a few other gyms in town in the afternoons, but I can not afford to pay for classes when we already have a membership at the Y. I'm thinking of buying a good yoga video to do at home. I loved the video I had for prenatal yoga!

#24 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM

I've been wanting to post in this thread for weeks now, but had NO way of exercising at all. In 100 degree weather you just don't take babies outside for walks (IMO anyway) so I sold our old chuck norris total gym, and bought an Ab circle pro. your supposed to use this thing for 3 minutes at a time and in 3 weeks shed 10lbs while flattening your abs. I've been working my behind off on this thing. I didn't do a regular 3 minutes at a time on it until yesterday because it's extremely hard to do, but I did it TWICE yesterday, and already this morning. On Tuesday I was in so much pain from it that I thought I was having appendicitis LOL. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, but I will be 125-130 again, even if I have to ONLY work out at home.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#25 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Wednesday: 20 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minute ride on the Expresso bike, abs. Took DD for a walk in the evening.

Today: Yoga.

#26 of 29 Old 07-31-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
In 100 degree weather you just don't take babies outside for walks (IMO anyway)
Yes, this. It's already 90* by 8:30 am and, for the last week, it's been hovering around 100* still by sunset, so I really CAN'T do anything outside... (and that's to say nothing about the gnats!!) I am longing for the days that the temps finally dive into the 70s and I can walk/jog up and down my street in the mornings or evenings while DH sits with the kids. For the time being, I have been more diligent with household chores (like lots of sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming, lugging laundry baskets instead of kicking them through the house, etc) and just trying to spend more time "up" and moving. I'm adding in some more actual activity along and along... but, still haven't decided about the Jillian Shred thing. Sounds kinda scary. LOL

#27 of 29 Old 07-31-2010, 06:21 PM

I've heard good things about Jillian Michaels as well, but it scares me too!

Friday: Didn't go to the gym as scheduled because I had a horrible night of sleep before and was exhausted.

Today: Went to the gym today instead. 35 minutes on the treadmill, 11 of those minutes running. I am going to do my core exercises today at home.

#28 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm up to doing my ab circle 3 X a day for 3.5 minutes. My neck, and arms are sore from supporting my weight, my back, hips and abs are sore from the swaying back and fourth. I feel smaller already even though I haven't lost any weight. We are buying a tread mill this week (off craig's list) so I can run/walk at home without having to take the babies outside in the heat.

OH, and I can totally feel my abs under the flab that resulted from my last 2 c-sections, their still hiding, but they ARE there!! I'm so excited!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#29 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM

Tuesday: Went to the gym, but felt crummy because I had just eaten, so I got a cramp. Plus, I forgot my ipod. So I was really not in the mood to run, haha. Walked briskly uphill for 30 minutes, did some core work.

Thursday: Went to the gym, did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 14 of which were running. (I'm improving... ) Then did 10 minutes on the bike to help counter the effects of running on my knee. Crunches and lots of stretching.

I checked out a DVD from the library of 10-minute pilates segments, each focusing on a different body part. I am going to try to do one each day for the next week or so to try it out before I have to return it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page