sleeping...or not - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so my lil guy is 10 weeks now, about 16 lbs & still hardly sleeping. he is eating about every 1-2 hrs day & night...sometimes even more often. it seemed like he had longer stretches for a bit but is now fussing to be fed often at night again. he falls asleep for the night around 8 & usually keeps his eyes closed until about 6 am but fidgets & fusses for the breast throughout the night.

i've been reading some sleep books & most all recommend separate beds/rooms along with some form of CIO. is this necessary for my non-sleeper or is it possible for us to still cosleep but actually get some rest? i'm kinda losing my mind getting only 20-30 min naps for most of the night but really love cuddling him & have a hard time even putting him in his moses basket beside the bed (which does not seem to make a big difference in sleep stretches).

Happily married to DH since 2007, mama to my sweet water baby boy, born at home on 5/3/10!
#2 of 11 Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM

my baby was fussing in the night without waking... I started off picking her up and nursing her (first two weeks maybe). Then one night I waited a bit before picking her up (she was sleeping but restless) and she settled herself down and slept through the night.

Now she sleeps from 11pm until at least 4:30, usually 6 and recently 7am.

I'd say, unless she opens her eyes and fusses, let sleepy babies lie.

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
#3 of 11 Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 PM

I'm assuming the fidgety stuff is keeping you awake? Wyatt is very fidgety at night and very vocal but he's sleeping the whole time. Do you feed him when he fidgets? I figured out that Wyatt just wanted to use me as a pacifier for a little bit and then move on back to sleep. Is that what you are experiencing?

Is this just now starting, meaning could it be a growth spurt?

I will say this, even the Father of Sleep Training (Ferber) will tell you that babies are NOT ready for any type of sleep training until they are four months + so I would avoid that at all costs. Right now babies cry b/c they absolutely need something.

I think you can try separate rooms b/c it sounds like this is significantly affecting you, right? I will say that for us we started co-sleeping b/c DD was super fussy at night and it was MORE exhausting to have to get up and care for her needs than having her be able to roll over and feed at will. BUT I do know that friends have had luck with separate rooms; maybe b/c the baby cannot smell the mama's milk?

Good luck and hang in there. Just keep reminding yourself that it's all a phase and will move on to something new soon enough. This is my mantra when I am particularly perplexed/annoyed/exhausted by something.

BTW, when Wyatt has a particularly restless/chatty night where he is not actually eating I use a pacifier

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#4 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 AM

Have you tried swaddling? That works really well for us. Luna would wake up often because of her squirmy wormy moves at night. I started swaddling her and she sleeps 3 to 4 hours at a time at night. I can hardly complain about that. My last baby though, had to be on my boob all night. I got used to after a while and was able to sleep despite her constant sucking. She didn't start sleeping more than 2 hours at a time till she was over a year. She's only been sleeping through the night consistently for the past 5 or 6 months. I tried putting her in a separate room/bed when she was younger and it made it worse, because than I actually had to get up and nurse her every hour through the night.

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#5 of 11 Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 PM

All babies are different- I've had three and all were varying types of sleepers. One slept best in his own bed with a pacifier and hated to comfort nurse so he slept through the night around 3-4 months. He is still a great sleeper at 7 years old and no trouble at all.

The second was on my boob 24/7 and night was no exception. For survival's sake, I learned to sleep-nurse and rarely woke up- he just sucked all night long and always woke up by 6am. He just recently slept all night at age 4, and still gets up really early. His need for sleep is just minimal I guess.

My 3rd baby doesn't have any predictable sleep patterns during the day, but she sleeps great at night- goes down around 10 or 11 and wakes around 3am, 5am, and 7am to nurse but doesn't wake up for the day until after 9 usually. She grunts and squirms a lot in between so my sleep quality is very poor right now, so I'm thinking about moving her to a sidecar crib next to my bed (we are currently co-sleeping but she seems to sleep fine on her own at night, so I want to make the best of that situation!!).

I think you just have to do whatever works and allows you to get the most rest. Are you able to sleep while the baby is latched on? This is usually a lifesaver I have gone through various stages of loving and hating pacifiers, but I've decided that if they help my baby sleep and I can sleep and be less exhausted, then I would definitely use one. My DD loves hers but I don't use it at night and she still sleeps fine.

Jessica- married to David- parenting our 3 monkeys- DS #1 (age 7) DS #2 (age 4) and a brand new DD (born 5/10/10)
#6 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM

I firmly believe that Lilah is sleeping so well because we have her wrapped in a Woombie, and zipped up. Once I got this thing and started putting her in it, she started sleeping 9+ hours at night and is up to 11 or even 12 hours. I put her down last night at 10p and it's 9:45 and she's still sleeping right now. She sleeps in a side car too, not in our bed.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#7 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsquared View Post
i've been reading some sleep books & most all recommend separate beds/rooms along with some form of CIO. is this necessary for my non-sleeper or is it possible for us to still cosleep but actually get some rest? i'm kinda losing my mind getting only 20-30 min naps for most of the night but really love cuddling him & have a hard time even putting him in his moses basket beside the bed (which does not seem to make a big difference in sleep stretches).
I've been having issues with DS as well. Have you read the "No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley? She has some great suggestions on getting them to sleep and addresses co-sleeping & separate rooms. She gives ideas for infants (0-4 mos) to get them sleeping better, but doesn't recommend her full solution until they're over 4 mos. She also has a nap book that I'm reading b/c DS rarely naps during the day. It's worth checking out. I've been using some of the suggestions and it is helping... and no CIO involved

Good luck!

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

#8 of 11 Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ladybug took after her brother and has slept through the night most of the time since she was about a week old. She sometimes gets fussy in the evenings, but mostly sleeps from about 10 to 6. If she wasn't gaining weight steadily, I'd worry. But since her brother is such a NEEDY child, I'm thrilled that she is so laid-back and worry-free.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#9 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 PM

or not... thats all I can manage to say about the situation right now.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#10 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Just a friendly reminder for everyone to please keep posts in agreement with the UA, we cannot host threads advocating CIO in any form.

OP, I'm sorry you're having sleep issues. Please do visit The Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting forum

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#11 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page