7 weeks old and not smiling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 7 weeks old today and is not socially smiling yet. He smiles in his sleep, and he smiles when he is breast feeding, but not social as a response, and I am a starting to get worried. He also does not make much eye contact, and is always looking past me and is much more interested in his surroundings.

WAHM, Married to my best friend, Proud Mama to our sweet baby boy 29.5.10, Addicted to and loving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Firstly, while all 3 of mine smiled around one month, I am pretty sure that your baby is totally normal. I think I read a thread on here a while back where most people said not to be worried until at least 3 months old.

Secondly, you said he doesn't make eye contact much, and looks past you. It sounds to me like his eyes are still developing. (Also normal.) Do you live in a darker house? How much exposure does he get to the contrast of light and dark? He is probably looking past you because he is noticing your darker outline compared to the wall, or something similiar in the distance. Also, in the beginning, babies see better from the sides of their eyes (the peripheral). It is not unusual for them to turn their heads away and look at you from the corner of their eyes. Anyway, I would purposefully sit near a window, or otherwise up his opportunities to compare and contrast the shadows and the light. Their brains have to do that before they are ready to comprehend the more detailed images of faces. Don't read that he has an eye problem. It isn't that. It's a normal adjustment of the brain processing the visual input.

But...I'm sure he's fine. 7 weeks is still pretty young.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Wyatt did not smile until about 9 weeks; now he smiles constantly. I know how worrying it can be, though. Only 60% of babies smile by the second month mark so no worries!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Yep, no worries! Neither of mine smiled until 2+ months. DD2 just started this week at 9 weeks old.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 AM

I'm pretty sure social smiling is one of the CDC 3-month milestones. I don't know why we get in this mindset, but earlier is not better on meeting milestones. Really. What matters is that you reach them, and that you reach them in order. Post an update when he really does smile at you, it's awesome

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Old 07-18-2010, 05:05 AM

I know all of my kids did the not looking thing in the first couple months. If you get right up in their face they would always turn their heads away. I'm not sure when they stopped but it lasted long enough that I noticed it and actually remember it now (and if you know me my memory is horrible). Anyway, dd is still doing this and she is 10 weeks.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Sounds just like my dd. She is 10 weeks now but she started doing it about 2 weeks ago. She does it more and more everyday. Don't worry your lo will get there.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was mildly concerned that ladybug wasn't looking AT me a lot.

Then around 8 or 9 weeks, she started looking me in the eye and socially smiling...

Don't stress it; it'll happen.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 PM

My dd is very social at 9 weeks but my ds and my friends ds (7 weeks) where/are only still looking past as you describe and not yet smiling. Totally normal! The wait makes that first smile even sweeter!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM

My son smiled about once a day for about a week when he turned 7 weeks. But whenever it happened, it was so brief that I was always like "was that a smile??? Or am I crazy?" I could've easily missed it.

Now at almost 11 weeks, he smiles all the time! I remember what it was like though, waiting for that 6 week mark, then having it go right by with no smile! I thought it would happen at 6 weeks exactly for some reason. It's nice to see them do something other than cry ya know? It'll come soon, don't worry!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 AM

My first DD didn't smile until 3 months and even then it was hard to get her to. We always joked around that she was a tough audience. Oh we would do so many goofy things to try to get her to smile and she would just look at us like we were stupid! She's about to turn four now and is the silliest child I have met who honestly thinks she's a comedian.

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Just a little update. DS is 9 weeks old now and smiles ALL THE TIME he is such a happy smiley baby, and I am such a happy mama

WAHM, Married to my best friend, Proud Mama to our sweet baby boy 29.5.10, Addicted to and loving
Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovesbaby View Post
Just a little update. DS is 9 weeks old now and smiles ALL THE TIME he is such a happy smiley baby, and I am such a happy mama
so happy for you mama!!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the update!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Great news!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.

User Tag List