Any nursing mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Never thought I'd be in this particular subgroup! I had already started the process of weaning 21mo DS in preparation for TTC in the spring. I definitely don't want to tandem, and I'd like to encourage him to wean ASAP now that I'm pg. I've been limiting his sessions to once on each side and no more than once an hour, but he's still nursing at least 6-8 times a day, not to mention the night nursing.

How about everyone else? How old are your nurslings? Do you plan to wean? Are you planning to tandem (or triandem) nurse? How do you feel about it?

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still nursing my 14mo. Usually 4-6 times per day. We recently nightweaned her, so no more nursing at night. Which is usually nice, but has it's challenges too. Anyway, I'm not planning on tandem nursing, but we'll see whether DD weans during this pregnancy or not.

DD 7/18/08, and a new one on the way! ETA 6/4/10
#3 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 PM

We are down to once or twice a day, usually nap and/or bed time. My nursling is 25 months. DS was self-weaning but he's asking to nurse more often now. I am limiting how often because it is very uncomfortable right now and I think my milk is pretty much gone.
#4 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 AM

I'm still nursing my 11 month old. I don't know yet if I'm going to tandem nurse or not. My supply took a big dip last week but it seems to be recovering which I am very happy about. I'm definitely not ready for her to wean. So I guess I'll just take it a day at a time and see how it goes.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#5 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm still nursing my 20 month old. He shows no signs of weaning so I imagine I'll be tandem nursing.

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
#6 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Hi, Sihaya! I think we were in the December 2007 DDC together!

I am still nursing my 21 month old DD and have finally decided to night wean her. I am going to start using Dr. Gordon's method tonight.

I don't plan to wean her completely, though--she still loves to nurse in the morning, before and after her nap, and before bed. I am happy to tandem nurse if that's what ends up happening.
#7 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Devorah! I recognized your screenname right away.

I have to admit I'm jealous of those of you whose littles are only nursing a few times/day. I think if we were there right now, I'd be a lot more willing to tandem. Right now, though, whenever I think about tandem nursing, it involves one child or another latched on 24 hours a day, and I know I can't take that!

#8 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 PM

My daughter turned 5 in August and is still nursing in the morning, after school and at bedtime, sometimes more on the weekends. She'll be almost 6 when baby comes so I don't know if she will still be nursing then but I have no issue with it either way.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#9 of 59 Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Hi Devorah! I recognized your screenname right away.

I have to admit I'm jealous of those of you whose littles are only nursing a few times/day. I think if we were there right now, I'd be a lot more willing to tandem. Right now, though, whenever I think about tandem nursing, it involves one child or another latched on 24 hours a day, and I know I can't take that!
Developmentally, nine months is a long time... your LO may be ready by then. AND, milk taste changes when you're pg, esp the more pg you get. I've heard of LO's deciding all on their own, "Milkies yuk" after a month or so!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#10 of 59 Old 09-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Don't mean to DDC crash, I'm due in Feb, but I want to let you ladies know you're not alone!!! :-)

DS is 16 months old and I am 21 weeks + 4 days pregnant. Not planning to wean at all! Definitely we will tandem nurse as long as he wants to (3 years is my goal). I am very excited!!! I had a little drop in supply, but I'm also slowly switching over to colostrum and DS is still nursing as frequently and happily as ever. About 8-10 times per day, 3-4 times at night, still asks/signs/pulls my shirt down for milkies all the time (but sometimes if we're busy/out/playing he forgets and so I have to offer or go somewhere quiet to let him pay attention to nursing). It's very much a comfort thing for him as well as nutrition. It was painful for me in the first trimester, but I just continued through it. Nursing is way too important to him (and me!) to stop now or ever (it's not up to me when we stop, it's up to him!).

I'm sure he'll gain about 5 pounds when the new baby (and milk) comes. He's a skinny-mini, always has been, only 20.5 pounds at almost 17 months and shorter than his peers (we don't do WBVs so I don't know exact measurements). I had tons of milk with him when he was first born (I actually pumped and donated to a few families, I made so much) so I'm sure I'll have more than enough to go around. Even if this one baby inside turns out to be twins (we'll see) I have no worries about supply. I just pray a lot and keep a positive attitude!

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!
#11 of 59 Old 09-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Still nursing DS2 here at 26 months. I'm hoping he'll wean in the next couple of months. We're already down to bedtime, wakeup, naptime, nap wakeup, and sometimes a daytime feed here and there.

Mom to Andrew (March 1, 2004), Cameron (July 19, 2007) and #3 due in early June.
#12 of 59 Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 PM

I'm still nursing my 2 1/2 year old dd and I REALLY want her to self wean. Hopefully soon, but she's VERY addicted (6-8 times a day). I'm just going to keep up on my water, eat really healthy, walk until it gets too cold, and sleep as much as I can. She' is still up about 3 times a night so I'm pretty tired, but I only work (I watch a 7 month old in my home) 4 days a week and I can nap while they are both sleeping.

Corinne, mommy to Angelina 3-06-07 and Miabella 6-4-10

#13 of 59 Old 09-29-2009, 12:25 AM

I am nursing my 16 month old 6-7 times day and night. I am not ready to wean at all so a bit scared that my milk supply will drop. I would like to tandem nurse if my DS keeps nursing.
#14 of 59 Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi there, I'm nursing my 12 month old probably 5 times a day right now. He's so busy right now that we have to go into a dark quiet place just for him to calm down to nurse, so I'm happy with the 5 times. However, it seems like he really NEEDS the nursing and I don't plan on stopping, so I guess my goal is to tandem nurse. We'll see how it goes. :-)

SAHM mom to 3 wonderful kids!

#15 of 59 Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM

I am still nursing my 14 month old and plan to for as long as he likes so tandem is a possibility

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#16 of 59 Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DD2 (14 months) is still nursing many times a day, DD1 (3 yrs) nurses occasionally. I wouldn't be surprised if DD1 weans soon (though I've triandem nursed before, so would be open to it again) but definitely plan on at least tandem nursing with DD2.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#17 of 59 Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM

I'm still nursing my almost 13 mo old about 4-5 times a day/night. I just got my BFP today, and my supply seemed to be a little low yesterday. I am hoping to tandem nurse also, but we shall see.

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
#18 of 59 Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM

I am nursing my 11 mo - and I hadn't given any thought to weaning him until I got my BFP this morning. I don't think either one of us is even close to ready. I was close to tears about it several times as he was nursing today - it's just such a special time for us and I don't want to give it up.

So far, I'm not uncomfortable, so I'm just going to take things as they come and hope my supply stays up. And start educating myself re. tandem nursing.

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.
#19 of 59 Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 AM

I have an 8.5 mo old so I will be nursing as long as possible. She is not a booby baby though and loves her food so I'm not sure how she will do. My supply is already hurting and I'm only 12 dpo.

I nursed DD1 until she was 27 mo old and I was at the end of my 2nd trimester. For those of you wanting to self-wean, you can kind of nudge it along when your supply drops. She cut down a lot after I became pregnant and was only nursing to sleep within a couple of months. It became pretty uncomfortable for me near the end of the 2nd tri and I think my supply was down a lot. I just started nursing her in a chair and limited the time and within a day or two she would ask to go lie down before I even stopped her. I didn't realize it, but she was ready to wean. She was completely weaned within 2-3 weeks.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#20 of 59 Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 AM

I think I always assumed I'd be tandem nursing, and now that I'm faced with the forthcoming reality of it, I'm thinking I must be nuts. My 17 month old still nurses at least 3-4 times a day, but, with the exception of morning boobs, she's off and on and twisting and turning, and, although we've eliminated nursing in bed, there are the occasional times like tonight when she's insisting on falling asleep nursing (and I don't have the energy or patience to try and persuade her otherwise). If my new nursling is as demanding a nurser as she was, I won't have time to pee in peace between the 2 of them.

So now I'm kind of having an emotional/mental crisis. What do I do? Plus, DH and I are going on our first romantic vacation in just a month. I was going to pump while we're away, but is it silly to do that if we're going to wean soon anyway? I don't think a month is long enough for me to figure it all out. Eek!

Tiffany, Mommy to Kismet, 05/08 and HypnoBaby Teagun, arriving in June!
#21 of 59 Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 3 year old is currently still nursing. To be honest, I hope he weans himself before the baby is born, and I will gently encourage that. Although when we told the boys that we were having another baby, Avery (the nursling) said he would be sad because he still wants nursies.

I tandem nursed for 8 months last time around and for us it was tough. I think my nursling is heading towards weaning anyways; just going to have faith that everything will work out

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#22 of 59 Old 10-03-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have been encouraging weaning already. We are now down to 3-5 times/day (wake-up, before nap, after nap, and 1-2 other times) and have completely stopped nursing to sleep at bedtime, but he still nurses pretty much non-stop between 4am-9am. Still, it is a lot easier for me to take than when I first got my BFP and it felt like he was nursing the same amount as when he was newborn. I'm hoping that when my supply dips or milk "changes," it will be fairly easy to wean him completely. We were planning to do that around his birthday anyway.

#23 of 59 Old 10-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite&Destiny View Post
So now I'm kind of having an emotional/mental crisis. What do I do? Plus, DH and I are going on our first romantic vacation in just a month. I was going to pump while we're away, but is it silly to do that if we're going to wean soon anyway? I don't think a month is long enough for me to figure it all out. Eek!
Hi Tiffany, I would definitely take your pump with you and use it only when your boobs get quite uncomfortable. I went away three months ago for two nights, and forgot my pump. I was fine, DS was fine, but my boobs were hard and huge and quite painful when I got back. Even if I'd just been able to pump once in that 48-hour period, it would have been so helpful. So don't pump regularly, because you probably want to encourage your supply to drop, but bring the pump just to have on hand in case you need it. Good luck!

Mom to Andrew (March 1, 2004), Cameron (July 19, 2007) and #3 due in early June.
#24 of 59 Old 10-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi y'all, I am joining you! I have a 10.5 month old, who is still nursing ... well, frequently!

I currently plan to tandem, although I have always wanted nursing to be a positive relationship for BOTH of us, so I will constantly monitor as I go, and change plans if I need to. He will be 19 months when the new babe is born, so it would be OK with me if HE stops, but right now I would feel bad forcing it.

Wait, either way, no matter what happens, I would do it gently!

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#25 of 59 Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 AM

So I am committed to nursing my babe at least through the first trimester, until she reaches 18 mo, but my nipples are soooo sore. Does anyone have any tips to make it a little more bearable?

DD 7/18/08, and a new one on the way! ETA 6/4/10
#26 of 59 Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the input, Jen. I appreciate the support. I'll definitely take a pump with me.

I'm just not sure I do want to encourage weaning; I'm so torn about this. Kizzy had some allergy issues that she's, thankfully, grown out of, but we had to work really hard to keep nursing in the early months, so I'm especially hesitant to wean. Bah.

Tiffany, Mommy to Kismet, 05/08 and HypnoBaby Teagun, arriving in June!
#27 of 59 Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM

OK, so now I am really worried about losing supply. My mw made it sound like this is inevitable, but that DS would gradually start to eat more foods and cut back on nursing by himself.

What are you doing to keep supply up? She suggested drinking tons of water plus mother's milk tea. Is complete loss of milk probable? A dip? I think we can make it to 12 months, but I am really opposed to formula, so I don't want to have to supplement him.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#28 of 59 Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

If my babe was under a year, I would look into Motherlove More Milk Two, which is specifically designed to boost your supply while pregnant. I used the More Milk Plus tincture when I was having major supply issues and it really helped.

#29 of 59 Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 PM

I'm nursing my almost 15 month-old daughter and she shows no signs of slowing down soon. At this point, I'm not planning on discouraging her. She nurses 3 times at night (and once when falling asleep) and several times throughout the day, probably as many as 8? She's a really independent, active girl and I think she really likes the "time out" of nursing.
#30 of 59 Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 PM

burnin-everyone is different but there is usually less at some point around 20 weeks. don't worry about it though. just keep nursing, nursing, nursing him. that will help.

ez nursed all the way through my pregnancy but cut down at the end. i was okay with that though b/c she was two years old.

oatmeal, staying hydrated and well-rested...all the things that help when you aren't preggo will help now, too.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page