Swine flu vaccine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
Just joining today, after my second ...
Wondering if anyone has decided whether or not to get the swine flu vaccine. When I met with my RE two weeks ago, before BFP, she suggested getting it because the risk of fever, etc is worse to an early pregnancy than the vaccine. But I'm not sure...

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
None for us, but we don't vax anyway.

We're all recovering from the flu right now. It hasn't been fun (the kids got high fevers, no fever for me or DH) but I would still take it over either the flu or H1N1 vax any day.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I'm not planning to. I'm just uncomfortable with the idea, as so many people are on both sides of the fence. I had the reg flu a lot as a kid, but never since, and I've been exposed to it a lot in previous workplaces and never catch it. I just avoid sugar, take high quality vit C regularly, and make sure I religiously get a good night's sleep. If I feel the slightest touch of something coming on, I'll suck on a zinc losenge, and as long as I do that I never get sick.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#4 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 04:00 PM

I'm strongly leaning towards getting it. I work with small children and I have asthma. Being pregnant, that puts me at even more risk for respiratory complications. When I get sick, I get very sick. I'd like to lessen the likelyhood of needing to be hospitalized.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
#5 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM

I won't be getting it and neither will any of my family. We are a non-vaxing family to begin with but even if we did Vax I would be skipping that one. The risks of a VERY new vaccine where the side effects on an unborn baby is not known isn't worth it to me. I am going to keep my immune system strong practice good hygiene and hope for the best. Good luck with whatever you decide.

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#6 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 07:24 PM

I'm not getting it and neither is DD (12 months). We are selective and delay vaccinations but even my pedi didn't seem that concerned about us not getting it.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#7 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 PM

This week I'm thinking no, we won't. But I'll continue to evaluate the situation and maybe once I'm out of first trimester, if I'm feeling like there is an increased threat, I may then. There are single dose vials available without thimerisol preservative but I don't know how hard they are to get. Right now, we are just being common sense careful about handwashing, good diet and sleep, etc. It's hard to gather real facts about this flu.
#8 of 49 Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Nope.

But I had the swine flu last month (when I just found out I was pg). It wasn't near as bad as the regular flu (that I had when pg last time!).

My kids will not get this vax either.
#9 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 AM

I won't be getting the vaccine and neither will DD. I don't work, have no children in school, and just hope to limit our exposure to crowds and anyone who is sick.

DH (military) already had to get it, so hopefully he won't be bringing the germs home.

Lots of handwashing and vitamins for us!
#10 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 AM

I know this isn't the popular view here at MDC, but if the vax ever comes to my area I will probably get it for both myself and DS. Mainly because we are at high risk for being in contact with contagious people. DS goes to a private preschool and daycare two days a week. I am a collage professor, so I am surrounded by hundreds of collage students with very dubious health habits. Whenever I lecture, I can hear a chorus of coughs, sneezes, and sniffles . Also, I have an autoimmune disease, so I already at high risk of contracting every bug that comes my way . I don't like the idea of taking a new vac, but I also don't want to take the risk of getting seriously ill.
#11 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I know this isn't the popular view here at MDC, but if the vax ever comes to my area I will probably get it for both myself and DS. Mainly because we are at high risk for being in contact with contagious people. DS goes to a private preschool and daycare two days a week. I am a collage professor, so I am surrounded by hundreds of collage students with very dubious health habits. Whenever I lecture, I can hear a chorus of coughs, sneezes, and sniffles . Also, I have an autoimmune disease, so I already at high risk of contracting every bug that comes my way . I don't like the idea of taking a new vac, but I also don't want to take the risk of getting seriously ill.
I'm in a similar boat.

I know it isn't popular but I have to weigh the fact that I work with small children who swap germs on a regular basis. All the handwashing in the world won't protect me when a small child runs across the room to sneeze full on in my face.

With my asthma, I am already subject to complications to the flu. The regular flu will knock me out for weeks. This one might send me to the hospital or worse. I don't want to risk that. Being pregnant makes me all the more vulnerable.

I also don't see this particular vaccine as any better or worse than any other flu vaccine. The only thing different is the strain of virus used. I've had other flu vaxes with no problems and so I don't see why this one would be any different.

I will, however, be absolutely militant about making sure that I get the single dose version and not the mercury laden one.

#12 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 AM

It's such a personal & tough choice, no matter what you have to do what is best for you & your family. We do not vax & will not be getting the H1N1

Mommy to Abigail 2/09hearts.gif and Ollie 3/11energy.gif

#13 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'll probably get the Flu vax but I'm not sure about the H1N1. It's so new...

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
#14 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post
I'll probably get the Flu vax but I'm not sure about the H1N1. It's so new...
It isn't all that new really. All they did was swap out the current flu strain for the H1N1 strain. The formula is exactly the same otherwise.

They do this every year when they decide on what the major strain is likely to be and adjust it accordingly. This isn't something that has never existed before like Gardesil. Now that is a vaccine I won't touch with a ten foot pole and a Geiger counter.

#15 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
It isn't all that new really. All they did was swap out the current flu strain for the H1N1 strain. The formula is exactly the same otherwise
Unless they choose to put the non FDA approved adjuvant (sp?) stuff in it to be able to make more doses.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#16 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 AM

I'm in Canada. Anyone know anything about the make-up of the vaccine up here? I heard an interview on CBC a few weeks ago that was saying that that have an "un-adjuct..." (can't remember the word) version for pregnant women. The scary part was that there are no trials being run on pregnant women in Canada, they are just saying that since the regular flu vaccine is fine for pregnant women, this should be fine too.
I am at a complete loss for what to do. I have never had a flu vaccine and don't want this one but given that dh and I are both primary teachers and work in a kind of petrie dish of germs, I think my risk is very high. Anyone know if there is thimerisol in the Canadian flu vaccine?
#17 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
It isn't all that new really. All they did was swap out the current flu strain for the H1N1 strain. The formula is exactly the same otherwise.
Yes, this. If the H1N1 flu strain had emerged just a few months earlier it would have just been included in the regular seasonal flu vaccine along with the other 3 or 4 varying strains normally included. I think part of the reason H1N1 "seems" so different is that it emerged in the "off season" for flu viruses, and is therefore requiring it's own vaccine development.
#18 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
Unless they choose to put the non FDA approved adjuvant (sp?) stuff in it to be able to make more doses.
The CDC website says that no adjuvant is in either the seasonal or H1N1 flu vaccine.
#19 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 AM

No flu vax for us. From what I've read H1N1 isn't proven to be anymore dangerous than any other flu strain.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#20 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We won't be getting it here. We are a no-vax family to begin with and at very low risk since, due to my husband's work schedule and only having one working vehicle, we rarely get out of the house.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#21 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Not here. We don't get the regular flu shot, and we aren't going to get the H1N1 vax either. We are just trying to make sure we eat really healthy, have lots of Vitamin C, exercise, and take good care of ourselves. New vaccines scare me.

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

#22 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM

I don't know yet. I haven't picked out a doctor yet, so I will discuss it with them when I visit.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#23 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM

I wont be getting the new h1n1 vax, just like I do not get any flu vaccines. Its not even that I am worried about it being a new vax so much. If the vaccine is based on the same principle/manufacture as the regular flu vaccine, what is the point?

They make these flu vaccines using the surface proteins of the virus, the very proteins that undergo a high rate of mutation from generation to generation (even within the same person). Just like the regular flu vax its rendered nearly useless by the time it reaches the shelf. Its also guaranteed to be almost completely obsolete by next flu season. H1N1 has suddenly doubled the income for manufactures because, Ta Da, you will need to get a new one every year (and possible two in one season). How convenient.

Until they make an effective and properly tested vaccine for the conserved structures of the flu virus, I wont be lining up to get them.
#24 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 PM

This is a tough one for me. My acupuncturist, who I've been working with for months now in preparation for this pregnancy is dead set against vaccinations, especially the Swine Flu vax - but just today at my ultrasound visit, my OB, who I love and trust very much, recommended I get vaccinated against Swine and "regular" flu. We had a good talk about it, where she explained that she feels differently about vaccines when it comes to children versus adults. With kids she's okay with selective/delayed vaccinations, with adults, particularly when it comes to the flu, she doesn't think there's any reason to decline them. I asked about the Swine flu vax being new and she said only the virus is new, the technology used to create the vaccine is tried and true. She said if she were me, she'd get the vaccinations.

I've invested so much in this pregnancy, spiritually, physically, even financially (though money's the least of my worries). I wouldn't want to risk it for anything but I can't decide what's more dangerous? The vaccination or the flu? Fresh from the OBs office I'm leaning toward getting the vax but my inner crunchy person, is yelling, "Don't do it!!!" Ugh!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#25 of 49 Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
ITA

I'm also an autoimmune sufferer, so whenever there is a bug going around, I tend to get twice as sick as anyone around me. A mild cold lasts four to six weeks for me. I have two children in public school, use military medical facilities (full of sick people), and live in an area that is likely to be hard hit by H1N1. As well, because my DH is deployed, I will have no help to care for sick kids or myself if we get a flu. Therefore, I'm thinking that we all will get the vax when it's available to us.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#26 of 49 Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 PM

I won't be getting it and my 16 month old won't be getting it either. I don't even think I have ever had the flu in my life (well, maybe when I was a kid) and the vaccine has never been tested on pregnant women before.
Also, they advise that kids from 6 months to 2 years old get 4 FLU SHOTS this year (2 for regular flu and 2 for swine flu) which has never been done before...who knows what the side effects will be!?!
I'd rather take a chance with the flu than take a chance with the shots
#27 of 49 Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM

I talked to my naturopath today about both flu vaccines and she said it was up to me but that she would advise me to wait until my second trimester.

Miscarriage at 6 weeks on 1/11/09, DS born on 6/22/10, DS born on 5/31/12, and new baby due 4/2/14

#28 of 49 Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
ITA

I'm also an autoimmune sufferer, so whenever there is a bug going around, I tend to get twice as sick as anyone around me. A mild cold lasts four to six weeks for me. I have two children in public school, use military medical facilities (full of sick people), and live in an area that is likely to be hard hit by H1N1. As well, because my DH is deployed, I will have no help to care for sick kids or myself if we get a flu. Therefore, I'm thinking that we all will get the vax when it's available to us.
It sounds like things are rough for you and your family. I can totally sympathize. I live in a very cold climate that usually has at least two rounds of normal flu epidemics every fall-spring. I never used to get flu shots, but after I moved here and nearly died from the flu, I changed my mind. I literally could not eat for a week and a half and lost 20 pounds...I never wanted to be that sick again and have taken the flu shot yearly ever since. I've never had the flu again, even when DH came down with it two years ago (he didn't get a shot), I manage to stay healthy. I am extremely crunchy in nearly every other aspect of my life, but I figure that since my chances of being exposed are pretty high (there is already a confirmed case of H1N1 in my area), my immune system is already compromised, I'm carrying my vulnerable child, and my stress level is pretty high too, it makes sense to be a little cautious and get the vax. Best wishes.
#29 of 49 Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippasmum View Post
I'm in Canada. Anyone know anything about the make-up of the vaccine up here? I heard an interview on CBC a few weeks ago that was saying that that have an "un-adjuct..." (can't remember the word) version for pregnant women. The scary part was that there are no trials being run on pregnant women in Canada, they are just saying that since the regular flu vaccine is fine for pregnant women, this should be fine too.
I am at a complete loss for what to do. I have never had a flu vaccine and don't want this one but given that dh and I are both primary teachers and work in a kind of petrie dish of germs, I think my risk is very high. Anyone know if there is thimerisol in the Canadian flu vaccine?
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-ale...g_h1n1-eng.php

"Q4. Is it true that there is mercury in the vaccine? How much mercury?
Both vaccines contain a small amount of thimerosal. Thimerosal is a form of mercury used in the H1N1 flu vaccine to stabilize it and maintain its quality during storage. Thimerosal is a different form of mercury than the mercury known to cause health problems. The amount in the H1N1 adjuvanted flu vaccine is much less than the daily limit recommended for environmental exposure to mercury. For example, there is significantly less mercury in the vaccine than you would find in a can of tuna fish."

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#30 of 49 Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM

If I was still teaching I would most definitely be getting it (or work with high risk groups I think the benefits might outweigh the potential risks).

The reason we are not is I feel we have such low exposure with DD being at home and me not working.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page