Anyone else start buying Cloth Diapers yet? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 45 Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Sihaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In a brand new place all over again
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Traceround, we did it that way for the first 8-9 months. If you're already shlepping laundry, the diapers are just another load. We got enough so we only had to wash every 2-3 days when he was little. Now that he's a toddler, I can go a whole week without washing if I absolutely have to.

ETA: Granted, we didn't have multiples...

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Sihaya is offline  
#32 of 45 Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Pinoikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Traceround, we did it that way for the first 8-9 months. If you're already shlepping laundry, the diapers are just another load. We got enough so we only had to wash every 2-3 days when he was little. Now that he's a toddler, I can go a whole week without washing if I absolutely have to.

ETA: Granted, we didn't have multiples...
I didn't have multiples, but I did have three in cloth diapers at once though.. ds was born in July, my adopted son was born the next May, and then my last son was born that Feb... so almost 3, almost 2, and infant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
DH really really wants to do cloth diapering and feels that I should just give into his wishes since he is "going along" with all the other choices I've made (nursing, no circ, and so on).

However, I am the one that does laundry and we do NOT have a washer/dryer. We would have to schlep poopy diapers across town to my mothers house every time I wanted them washed and that is too much of a pain in the butt for me to contemplate.
I would be hard pressed to do cloth without a washing machine. No dryer, no problem.. No washer? mmm.. maybe not. But then I don't know how long I would survive without a washer for just clothes.. I would probably make dp schlep and do all the laundry until he bought me a washer
Pinoikoi is offline  
#33 of 45 Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Traceround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No laundry hookups either. With four babies at once, I am going to have a hard enough time keeping them all fed at the same time. I really do NOT want to add washing and stripping four times as many diapers either.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
Traceround is offline  
#34 of 45 Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Pinoikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
With four babies at once, I am going to have a hard enough time keeping them all fed at the same time.
You're having quads!?
Pinoikoi is offline  
#35 of 45 Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Traceround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
You're having quads!?
Currently, yes. I'm still in shock.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
Traceround is offline  
#36 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
 
slsurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a pile of shells
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably shouldn't admit this, but after the good news yesterday (that I did not miscarry) I went a little crazy and ordered some diapers . I have a great stash of medium and large diapers from DS. But when he was a newborn though about 3-4 months, I borrowed covers from another mom at the birthcenter. I borrowed some Imse Vimse covers, which are my favs (I have a bunch of these in medium and large).

So I ordered a few of those in size small, plus a Bummis Super Brite and a Bumkins cover just for variety. I ordered gender neutral prints, which can sometimes be hard with certain brands . I managed to get a great price and no shipping at thanksmama.com. If you shop there, use the code: summer, for 5% off. Plus if your order is over $60, shipping is free!

I think I'm pretty set for diapers now...although I may buy a few more infant prefolds just to be on the safe side....you can never have too many of those !
slsurface is offline  
#37 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
 
slsurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a pile of shells
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I would be hard pressed to do cloth without a washing machine. No dryer, no problem.. No washer? mmm.. maybe not. But then I don't know how long I would survive without a washer for just clothes.. I would probably make dp schlep and do all the laundry until he bought me a washer
When I had DS, we still lived in an apartment with no washer or drier in our unit. It really wasn't all that bad having to take them to the coin laundry for one kiddo (although he did go through about 24 diaps per day!).
slsurface is offline  
#38 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM
 
slsurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a pile of shells
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceround View Post
DH really really wants to do cloth diapering and feels that I should just give into his wishes since he is "going along" with all the other choices I've made (nursing, no circ, and so on).

However, I am the one that does laundry and we do NOT have a washer/dryer. We would have to schlep poopy diapers across town to my mothers house every time I wanted them washed and that is too much of a pain in the butt for me to contemplate.
Yeah, that sounds like too much work in your situation. Is there a diaper service in your area? It sounds like it would really be worth it with four babes. I know the service I had for a while was fabulous and it was the same rate no matter how many diapers you used (I know because they said my one DS used as many diapers as twins ). Look into it. http://www.diapernet.org/
slsurface is offline  
#39 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Friday13th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sprawl
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With DS we lived in an apartment with no washer dryer hook-up so we bought a washer that hooked up to the kitchen sink. It was kind of a pain to wheel out everytime we needed to do laundry but there's no way I would have stuck with cloth diapering if we had to use a laundromat.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Friday13th is offline  
#40 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
 
Pinoikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Yeah, that sounds like too much work in your situation. Is there a diaper service in your area? It sounds like it would really be worth it with four babes. I know the service I had for a while was fabulous and it was the same rate no matter how many diapers you used (I know because they said my one DS used as many diapers as twins ). Look into it. http://www.diapernet.org/
You know, that is really true. I can't think of anything that would be easier than having the dipes delivered fresh and clean to your door and not having to deal with the mess afterwards.. I often forget that services are available in other areas... I think there is only one service in my whole State (and only recently opened), and it is nowhere near me...
Pinoikoi is offline  
#41 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Venia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a HUGE stash of flats, one-size covers, OS fitteds, and OS pockets we use for DD and will be used for this next little tooshie. When buying for DD, I tried to buy only things that would grow with her and things I know I would use for future kiddos. This not only saved money in the first round (not buying every adorable girly diaper I ever dreamed of), it will be phenomenal savings for the second round.

That said, we have a fairly relaxed approach about CDing and keep a packet of sposies in the house at all times. I think we have bought maybe 5 packets (of 40) of sposies in the last two years. When we feel like using sposies we do. Obviously, we have not used them in mass quantities, bt its nice to have options and not feel limited (when skin health is not an issue). So, what I am trying to say is that cloth diapering is not an all-or-nothing type decision.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
With DS we lived in an apartment with no washer dryer hook-up so we bought a washer that hooked up to the kitchen sink. It was kind of a pain to wheel out everytime we needed to do laundry but there's no way I would have stuck with cloth diapering if we had to use a laundromat.
We did this too with our first LO! It was a washer/dryer single unit and has served us well ( we lined dried inside the apartment mostly though. Diapers and clothes everywhere! lol). I hated having to put the kitchen sink out of commission for laundry though. We only recently found a rental with a garage and w/d hookups for this round. Its lovely, but I would not change a thing from our previous experience
Venia is offline  
#42 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM
 
Pinoikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venia View Post
I think we have bought maybe 5 packets (of 40) of sposies in the last two years. When we feel like using sposies we do. Obviously, we have not used them in mass quantities, bt its nice to have options and not feel limited (when skin health is not an issue).
I have used sposies on long car trips and when the kiddos are really sick. Also, one of my sons had a seizure disorder so it was good to have sposies on hand to have for his use in the hospital since I wasn't sure that my cds wouldn't magically disappear over there.. He was hospitalized overnight on a couple of occasions.. so I am not anti sposie either, but I don't use them long term anymore.
Pinoikoi is offline  
#43 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
Yaliina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just found out that there is a brick-and-mortar cloth diaper store near here! I think we might take a little trip over there - this weekend? Maybe I shouldn't, though, come to think of it. It might be TOO tempting!!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Yaliina is offline  
#44 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 PM
 
peachsara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, please noone tell my hubby, but I bought a cloth diaper for the little one.

I saw a really good deal on a BumGenius Organic AllinOne and I couldn't pass it up. My DD has one (that recently was eaten by the washing machine) and I really liked it. I'm hoping to butter him up so that I can get a few more in here for "convenience" dipes.

IDK why I got rid of all of my DD's newborn and small diapers and covers. Wishing I didn't now.

Now, if I can just find some PUL covers that I like. I've yet to find a fave.

SAHM to a crazy little boy (4.5) and a silly little girl (3) and my VBA2C babe
peachsara is offline  
#45 of 45 Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Pinoikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I just went and bought a light pink First Class Baby size 0, a white and lavendar printed first class baby size 0, and a bumkins super bright pink cover.

I have totally jinxed myself now. Dp said well, if it's a boy he still is wearing pink diapers.
Pinoikoi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off