Any vegan mommas with no-no cravings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's a girl to do?

There's not much that appeals to me, but I keep thinking about eggs...

What would/are you veg*n mommas doing about off-limit cravings?

Vegan Momma to DD1 (4.5) and DD2 (1.5). Gardening, creating, cooking and hoping for a change of scenery soon!

#2 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'm a hardcore meat eater, so take this for what it is but sometimes those cravings have to do with things your body NEEDS. If you're not willing to eat eggs, try and figure out what it is in eggs that you want. Is it the protein? Is it that spongey texture? Is it the vitamin A, E, or D? Try to experiment with things you CAN eat and see if that helps.

For what it's worth, I've been craving nothing but beef. Like everyday. I know its the protein, so I'm trying to get in some almonds or snack on some soy crisps since it's really not healthy to eat beef every day.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#3 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 02:35 AM

Oh man... I have not eaten cow for like 8 years but the other day I was salivating at a whopper picture while waiting in line for my veggie burger.

I think I must need more trans fats in my diet I will try to add more protein though, that's a good idea.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#4 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM

I'm vegetarian, not vegan - no meat cravings yet - and I didn't have any when I was preggo with DD.

Have you contemplated eating some animal products (maybe eggs, but not meat) while you are PG? Do you feel like you could do it emotionally, spiritually, etc?

Last time I felt that if I really deeply craved meat I'd eat it. I never got the craving (it actually grossed me out more than ever) but I do think it is important to listen to your body and not feel like a failure for living up to an ideal that you normally hold dear. I know another die-hard vegan who ate steak while PG and then went back vegan.

That said, I also agree with Seattle - find a substitute!! Your body is telling you something.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#5 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I know you guys are all correct...

Me and my DD are just getting over norovirus (wow, that was fun!) and the transition from that to the morning sickness is just terrible. It has also left me with odd cravings. I know I need the protein, but really feel less and less like eating it (except tofu, unfortunately).

Is it wrong to live off of sprouted grain bread with almond butter and a little jelly? ;-)

I have a small package of eggs in my fridge...I'm just not so sure I can do it. If you're vegan, and you're vegan because of things you've seen (especially "Earthlings,") it's really hard to go back.

Thanks for the great advice Mommas and Mommas-to-be!

Vegan Momma to DD1 (4.5) and DD2 (1.5). Gardening, creating, cooking and hoping for a change of scenery soon!

#6 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
Oh man... I have not eaten cow for like 8 years but the other day I was salivating at a whopper picture while waiting in line for my veggie burger.
I am totally this way when preggo too. I'm not a full vegetarian, let alone a vegan, because I do enjoy occasional chicken and salmon, but when I'm preggo I constantly crave meat, cheese, eggs, even BACON ! Terrible, I know, but the little one needs all that protein to grow, so I eat whatever I crave while preggo. Good luck mama!
#7 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM

I was vegan with my first DD, but started eating cheese because I craved it so bad, and then because that's what WIC was feeding us. I'm still vegetarian though, if I craved meat I'd just buy the fake meat products, some of them are REALLY good at filling that craving (like the chicken nuggets dipped in honey thing I had the other night )
For eggs you could try a tofu scramble with curry and turmeric (and yummy veggies), its a pretty good sub for scrambled eggs.....

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#8 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've been using Amy's frozen tofu scrambles lately...but I'm a little concerned about the whole soy protein intake thing. Are any of you monitoring your soy intake? It's really easy for me to consume a LOT of tofu and tofu-based products (brown rice crackers and tofutti cream cheese...mmmmmm!)

Thanks again...it's just so nice to know I'm not the only one out there with these (really simple, I know) issues!

#9 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 PM

I am not vegan - or even vegetarian - but I am avoiding all dairy because my little one is still nursing and he's got a dairy allergy. I am craving melted cheese in the WORST way!! I won't give in, but it's making me nuts!!!

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.
#10 of 13 Old 10-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Jumping over from May DDC... I'm a pg vegan too. I've craved stuff, but honestly for me it's been a texture/taste thing that I've been able to satisfy with Boca chick'n patties and Gardein products (so close to tasting like chicken I couldn't eat it at first.) Of course, I really only ate those at my gaggiest moments when all other protein sources looked terrible and I was really craving something like a chicken patty sandwich. There's also an awesome pg vegan thread on the Pregnancy board if you want to join us Good luck mama!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#11 of 13 Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemom05 View Post
I am not vegan - or even vegetarian - but I am avoiding all dairy because my little one is still nursing and he's got a dairy allergy. I am craving melted cheese in the WORST way!! I won't give in, but it's making me nuts!!!
There is a great vegan cheese out there, made by Follow Your Heart...and it melts! Give it a try...you should be able to find it at Whole Foods.

I remember reading about a new vegan cheese made from some veggie and arrowroot starch...Daiya or something close to that. They showed a picture of it in VegNews mag as part of a super-cheesy pizza, man that looked good!

Thanks Jelinifer for the info...I'm heading over there now!

#12 of 13 Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 PM

i was vegan before i became preggo with dd#1... then went semi-vegetarian (ate chicken about 2 times a week - was craving the protein - which was losing due to preclampica).

with dd#2 - i was all good with teh same routein (vegatarian but small amount of chicken 2 or so times a week)... but once i ate steak.. smoothered in BBQ sauce... i couldnt help myself. We were visiting friends from college and the wife was asking me what i wanted (cause her hubby, my friend, had told her i didnt eat any red meat) and i took one look, smell and said - i want that... his and DH's jaw dropped. It only happened that one time - but i went with it.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#13 of 13 Old 10-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks soooo much for the vegan cheese recommendation!! I will be checking that out tomorrow morning!!

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page